The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 AM

Default D'Addario EXP Coated Classical Strings?

Anyone use these before?

I'm not a traditional classical guitarist, most of the time I play a classical-electric with a cutaway. Typically I'll use D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte Normal Tension. I've been happy with those. They sound good, consistent, and they're affordable.

I've had good luck with D'Addario's steel string EXPs, so I figured I'd try some of the EXP for classical. They're on sale at StringsandBeyond.com, 3 sets for $20, and a 10% Labor Day code comes out to $6 per set, about half what they normally sell for at Amazon and GC.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dad-exp4x-b2g1.html

BTW, The other flavors of EXP are on sale too. Not affiliated with the company, just a satisfied customer.

I'm pretty sure that traditional classical players won't like these, but for people who primarily play electrified, I'm thinking they could be a good thing. Be interested to hear other opinions.

I'll post back with a review after I get mine.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:27 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Alhambra ships all their guitars with the exps, high or extra high tension. I've been happy with mine, the wound strings seem to retain their tone and zing longer than most I have tried, even in pretty humid conditions.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:58 AM

In principle I think it's a good idea. I find that regular silver-plated strings wear out very quickly - within a couple of weeks the silver plate has worn off (whereas nylon monofilament trebles last more or less for ever). So any means of extending their life is to be welcomed.

However, looking at the price of the EXP sets I'm probably going to stay with my La Bella 850 / 900 at a third of the price and change strings more often - which I think is a good thing anyway.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 PM

I can live with the silver plate wearing but the notches and raveling on the windings is a killer. I lose strings from that and a coating won't help so I don't have a need for coated wound nylons.

hunter
Old 08-29-2014, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I can understand how a traditional classical or Flamenco player might not care for these, but as more of a fusion player who likes nylon, I think these might work for me. I'm hoping.

I'll post back in a month or so after I've had time to evaluate a set.

PS. Strings and Beyond is now out of stock. You guys must have bought 'em all out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical