The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Alvarez Artist AC65HCE

Anyone played one of the Alvarez "Hybrid" AC65HCE nylon Acoustic-Electrics?

Any feedback appreciated!
Thanks,
GC
Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Yes and it sounded pretty good. I liked it.

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 PM

A bit late to this thread, but I just purchased one. I have rather small hands so this was an ideal classical model for me. I have real difficulty playing the more standard traditional wide neck models so this is so easy to play for smaller hands.

The neck on the AC65HCE feels very close to the neck on an Alvarez AP70 Parlor guitar one of which I have as well (AP710SB Guitar Center Model). I took it to my favorite guitar shop here in Columbus like I do all my new guitars. Had them drop the action as low as possible without causing string buzz and all the other general first set-up work.

Now one thing I will add is. Sean, one of the techs at the shop had to redo the bridge and saddle to make them work better with the stock under saddle pick-up (Add Edit: Sean made the inside of the bridge flat even). The volume of both E strings was lower than the other 4 strings. This is the second time (first time on my AG75CE) that he had to even out the inside of the bridge to make sure the pick-up element made full contact with the saddle. He blames the stock B-band under saddle elements for this issue, but he got it all sorted out for me as usual.

The pick-up problem aside, I highly recommend this model for those of smaller hands or those that like the feel of a steel string but want the classical sound.

Last edited by TexinOhio; 03-16-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-14-2014, 01:05 AM

I own one and the neck action is absolutely wonderful. I, too, have small hands and the neck is very comfortable to hold and I am able to play for long periods without feeling finger fatigue.
The AC65HCE being a cedar top, has a very warm and mellow tone with good sustain. The frets feel nice and and don't have any rough edges so whole tone/ double tone slides are a dream.
It is a great instrument for playing pop/rock or classical. However, not conducive for flamenco playing as it does not have the necessary attack or brightness (being a cedar top) which is typical for a flamenco instrument.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks all for the replies,

I've not been able to find one locally, so with your feedback, this may very well make my Christmas list.

Thanks again,
Gary
Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 PM

Hey,
I bought my AC65HCE online, from Bill's music. I got a nice quote on the price as well. Try calling them, they should have one available. Delivery was a breeze and straight out of the box, it plays beautifully.

http://www.billsmusic.com/alvarez-ac...ectric-guitar/
Old 09-20-2014, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the link to Bill's Music. Looks like a large selection and good pricing. I travel that way sometimes. Could be a good stop.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 AM

Is the string tension on the Alvarez hybrid different from classical guitars? I play mostly steel string and liked the feel of this guitar. The shop owner told me the tension was different to drive the top better, but I haven't seen confirmation of this anywhere.

I certainly found it easier to get good tone out it than on classical guitars -- I could even wrap my thumb over the top. I don't need the electronics, but this guitar caught my attention anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical