The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default ToneDexter makes debut on album and PBS special

“A Tribute to John D. Loudermilk” features two dozen performances of songs penned by Loudermilk, most known for writing “Tobacco Road”. It was recorded live March 2016 in Nashville. The album is set for a September 15 release, and the video concert will air on PBS around the same time.

Read more here.

It was produced by Grammy winning musician John Jorgenson, a long time ToneDexter user and proponent.

John tells me that because the concert was a one-time live event, many of the acoustic instruments were just plugged into the nearest DI box. As a result, the recorded sound left much to be desired.

While mixing the concert later in the studio, he ended up using his ToneDexter to post-process the guitar tracks of Ricky Skaggs, Emmylou Harris, Mike Loudermilk, and Deborah Allen.

Many of you know that ToneDexter is designed to be trained on your own particular instrument. That gives the best possible representation. But since John didn’t have access to the artists’ instruments after the event, he resorted to plan B: try out all his existing WaveMaps to see if any of them would be a close enough match to improve the raw recorded pickup sound. And they were! He just scrolled through the lot until he found the best one for each track, and reports that he’s more than satisfied with the results. That’s what we’ll hear on the album and the PBS special.

I haven’t heard it yet, but am looking forward to it.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM

I remember John Loudermilk as an unpretentious and earnestly helpful gentleman during the period when he was heading up the Nashville branch of the Songwriters Guild. I didn't even know that he composed Windy And Warm until last year. Its good to learn that a he's getting some recognition and that ToneDexter has contributed.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post

While mixing the concert later in the studio, he ended up using his ToneDexter to post-process the guitar tracks of Ricky Skaggs, Emmylou Harris, Mike Loudermilk, and Deborah Allen.
Congratulations James,

This proves there is a real application for a plugin (VST+Au). You could make an IR convolver plugin that upload the wavemaps (IR) straight into the computer so the user could apply them to any tracks.

However note that Kemper could have done the same and enabling people to "reamp" with their computers. But they chose not to do it and focused on hardware. So maybe it is not economically reliable.

Best regards,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-07-2017, 04:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

This Loudermilk tribute concert is streaming on PBS right now. This is the 56 minute cut. Really great songs. John Jorgenson tells me the full production cut is 2 hours, but I'm not sure where to see that one.

http://www.pbs.org/video/jd-loudermi...oncert-rpvjlf/
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace