The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2017, 08:45 PM

Default Better acoustic clip on mic holder

I have a DPA d:vote VO4099-G - Guitar Mic w/Clip (see herehttps://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VO4099G). It's a wonderful-sounding microphone, but the clip which attaches it to the guitar is genuinely lame. It's comprised of a bar with a rubber groove for the flexible mic boom and a single rubber knob to secure the mic to the guitar top. A double-knob attachment slides on the racheted bar to adjust and secure the mic to the guitar body. So the fixation to the body is three rubber knobs, which is anything but secure, and the extra bar behind the body is easily bumped, knocking the mic off the body. The sliding collar to secure the flex arm in the rubber groove to the bar is also lame, the the mic flex arm often wobbly which messes with mic positioning.

Is there any better way to secure a small instrument mic to an acoustic body?

I was thinking of something like the arm rests for mandolin, which have substantial cork pads front and back and two metal bars which are tightened by screwing them with a small tool.

Thoughts?

thx
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 PM

A bajillion years ago, I got a little soundhole clip thing for my AT35 mic. Maybe BHphoto? Works great. I can't for the life of me remember where I bought it.

Looks like this:

Old 07-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
A bajillion years ago, I got a little soundhole clip thing for my AT35 mic. Maybe BHphoto? Works great. I can't for the life of me remember where I bought it.

Looks like this:

B&H is right.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&m=Y&sku=97720
Old 07-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I gave up on the little DPA mic a while back. Sold it on eBay. Currently have an Anthem SL system in the guitar and no regrets about selling the DPA.

The DPA mic does sound very very nice. I agree with you about that, but it's a miniature shotgun mic and like all shotguns it picks up sound from behind the mic. If you are facing a floor monitor the mic can sometimes feed back.

Another shortcoming is that the DPA mic sits so close to the guitar. To pick up the full spectrum of sounds and tones it needs to be farther away. A condenser microphone on a stand so it's 6-12 inches from the guitar will sound more like your guitar.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:39 PM

I have a Martin 1941 D-28 historic, and recently had asked my guitar tech (top notch, experienced guy) put in a K&K system. He said it couldn't be done because the bracing on this guitar sits right under the bridge. Wondering if the Anthem system would work? Looks like it's a combo of piezo and soundhole pickups.

I agree with you on the DSP as well - I'm recording acoustic into logic pro, and the mic picks up the click track in the background. It's also very finicky on positioning - sounds best near the bridge, but then the darn holding clip gets knocked off all the time since it's right near your leg
Old 07-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinn19 View Post
Is there any better way to secure a small instrument mic to an acoustic body?
If you watch James Taylor's One Man Band DVD, it appears he's attached his DPA 4099 with duct tape :-) So that's an option...

The K&K Meridian clamp is actually pretty clever. It's both simpler, and cruder from a manufacturing perspective, but it actually works quite well - simply a pair of angle brackets with velcro. You might be able to fashion something similar to hold the DPA.

Have you considered just using a mic on a stand? As much as I like the 4099, in reality it doesn't do anything a mic on stand can't do, except move with you. If you play seated that's not an issue, and if you play standing, bluegrass guys have been using a mic in front of the instrument for years.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:02 AM

Did you read this thread?

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ght=holder+dpa

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification