The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Default New Tablet: Which Way to Go?

QUESTION:

What tablet and software should I get to replace my ancient Ipad 1 and Onsong App?

Options:

1) The wife's iPad 2 (iOS 9): Though she doesn't use it a lot, this is definitely not the ideal situation!

2) Refurbished iPad with iOS 8 or newer. There are some rather inexpensive ones on Amazon.

And since I'm not a huge Apple fan anyway ...

3) A non-Apple tablet of some sort.

In general, I'm worried about Apple changing so much so often that anything I'd get would be obsolete in no time, and that I'd also be limiting myself as to the music apps I could use. Perhaps this worry is unfounded?

BACKGROUND:

After years of relying on the iPad 1 that I won at an office Christmas party, I'm having to admit it's no longer able to meet my needs.

I've been running OnSong on the iPad 1 and setting it in a GigEasy holder on my mic stand. But Onsong, and tons of other apps, no longer work on the old IOS.

My wife has an iPad2 and I suppose I could "borrow" that, but that may not be the best route to go. And I've never been a huge Apple fan anyway (my phone is an Android).
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 10-09-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:21 PM

Default Comparing Apples to Androids

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
QUESTION:

What tablet and software should I get to replace my ancient Ipad 1 and Onsong App?

After years of relying on the iPad 1 that I won at an office Christmas party, I'm having to admit it's no longer able to meet my needs.

My wife has an iPad2 and I suppose I could "borrow" that, but that may not be the best route to go. And I've never been a huge Apple fan anyway (my phone is an Android).
I'd suggest researching the apps you wish to run and getting whatever tablet will run them.

I can tell you that your wife's iPad 2 is not going to run much better than yours. Here's a link to Geekbench that will show you the relative performance you can expect from the various iterations of iPad. It has no ranking for iPad 1, possibly because it is so old.

The current basic iPad runs performs 7.5 times better/faster than the iPad 2, according to Geekbench, and costs $329. Perhaps too much if all you're going to do is run one or two apps. In that case, try Apple's web site and get a refurbished recent iPad. I wouldn't ever buy an Apple refurb from anyplace other than Apple. Best of luck.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
In that case, try Apple's web site and get a refurbished recent iPad. I wouldn't ever buy an Apple refurb from anyplace other than Apple. Best of luck.
i've purchased 3 refurbs from apple and have had no problem with them.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD