The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Possible solution for those that hate the brightness of new strings

I've always hated the initial zing of new strings and find that strings only start to sound good to me after a week of play.

Anyway I snapped my third string recently (excessive bending) and decided it was time to replace them all, but I only had a spare A, a G and a high E string.
With only three new strings equally spaced out my guitar still sounded very nice and not at all too zingy. After a week I replaced the rest and was able to avoid the whole brand new (stop hurting my ears feeling).

To those that like new strings this probably sounds like the dumbest thread, but to the rest of you guys/girls I recommend it.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

You could also just put on a set of John Pearse PB strings. They are about as dark a string set as I have ever heard except for pure nickel.

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
You could also just put on a set of John Pearse PB strings. They are about as dark a string set as I have ever heard except for pure nickel.

- Glenn
+9001

I tried some Pearse PB strings recently and I actually hated them. I like a little zing out of new strings, and they are DARK
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Default Change your picks

I don't mind the brightness of new strings, but I use a heavier pick during the transition period. Or thumb pick if I am playing fingerstyle.

I am a patient person anyway.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM

John Pearse make my Parlor sound like Daddarios never could.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 AM

I find that even the JP PB's(which I really like) sound a little too bright for me at first when new. I go to an old(1960's vintage)well used Fender light pick to tame 'em 'till they mellow out a bit.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

John Pearse PB strings still need a couple days to get past that new string zing. If you really dislike the new string sound, try a set of Curt Mangan PB strings. I like both strings a lot, but prefer the CM's.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM

I might have to try these. I've never heard of them until now. The Elixirs on my 316ce are so bright. In the past I haven't minded them, but on this guitar, whoa.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
I agree they don't "zing" like new d'addarios. I recently tried some DR Sunbeams and frankly they didn't sound any brighter than the 3 month old JP PBs that I replaced. I kinda like the new string twang so will probably go back to EJ16s.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
...I kinda like the new string twang so will probably go back to EJ16s.
Yeah, D'Addario EJ16 strings work on a lot of guitars for me, though not all, of course.

But we are all different, the sound from a guitar varies a lot with playing style, and we all seem to like different sounds. So it's a good thing we have so many strings to choose from.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion