The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2005, 12:14 PM

Smile Hello, and a simple question...

Hi everyone! Seems like a friendly forum round here...
Well I'm a noob, and I have been into my local guitar shop and purchased a Fender DG5 in black.
I also bought a book called "Hal Leonard guitar method complete edition" and an electronic tuner.

My question is, do you guys recommend being taught to play, or is self teaching a good idea?

Maybe self-teaching the basics, then lessons?

My only concern with teaching myself is that it's possible to pick up bad habits, thinking you are doing things right, but actually doing them wrong.

What do you think?

Thanks guys!
Steve
Old 06-14-2005, 12:24 PM

Talking

Welcome Steve (beercan) to the AGF!
My question is:
What do you want to learn?
Learn how to read?
Just learn chords?
I would suggest a few basic lessons to figure out, what it is YOU want to do.
Russ
Old 06-14-2005, 12:28 PM

Well, to be honest it's something I want to do purely for pleasure.
I've always wanted to be able to play, and I guess reading music won't be too hard to learn (having looked at the book I got it seems pretty straight forward)...
Also, Simon & Garfunkel are one of my main influences I'd say. Their style of music is the kind I like.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by beercan; 06-14-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:18 PM

I still use the Hal Leonard method and I'm on book two.

I think its good. It teaches strumming, along with picking leads. Also to read music. Then later it dips into tablature.

But I think its great in the fact that it starts from square one, and then leads you through necessary basics to become a well rounded player.

John
Old 06-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

First, I don't think there's such a thing as truly self-taught, whether you figure someothing out by listening, watching, or go to formal lessons. That being said, I think both are essential.

It's great to learn how to figure things out - I don't know how many times I've seen people who want to know how to play something and can't imagine it without seeing the tablature - and while tabs are a great tool and guide, and for me, can help with the things I just can't get, there is incredible enjoyment that comes from the challenge of figuring it out as much as possible on my own. DIY can also lead to some rather neat solutions to problems that can come in handy for other things.

BUT... there is a huge benefit to formal lessons. Bad habits are much easier to correct when you're starting. A little hint here and there can transform your abilities. The drills and studies can make what you want to do in the "real world" much easier to play. Me, I didn't have guitar lessons as such (see first para) but was surrounded by guitarists, most of whom didn't sit down to show me, but that I got to watch up close and learn from. But I DID have classical training on trumpet, which was my primary instrument up until my early twenties - scholarship, contests, the whole nine yards. What lessons provide, you cannot replace on your own except in the rarest of cases, including the discipline of learning the joys of doing it right. (I mean "right" in terms of playing it all the way up to the best you can do it - we're not always the best judge of our own abilities).

So I believe in a well-rounded approach. Formal lessons for exposure to music and technique, with lots of noodling and experimentation on your own - there's a lot of joy in discovering things for yourself, but a really good mentor/guide can help you make the most of it.

I really could write on and on about it, but I won't.

All the best,

Wade

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM

For all the reasons that Wade wrote, lessons early is much better than lessons later.

HOWEVER, he said, have some idea what you want to get out of the lessons. Otherwise, you'll settle for some guy who plays in a band and teaches you songs, but doesn't give you any theory, or make you work on flexibility, finger independence, hand-ear coordination, etc, etc, etc.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:58 PM

lessons, lessons, lessons - but have a plan like LarryH has suggested. Lessons will get you much further much, much faster. Oh, and practice, practice, practice...
Old 06-14-2005, 02:02 PM

Yeah, having never had a lesson in 15 years of guitar playing, I really wish I could go back and start out with lessons. But I've got serious problems with discipline and lessons. If I could choose to start from the beginning and I had the resources to pay for them, I'd start out taking lessons.

That way I'd have the idea of practicing actual exercises ingrained into me. I suspect I'd be a much better player than I am today. Just my hindsighted $0.02.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 PM

Well thanks guys! It seems some lessons are the way to go...
Best get looking for a local teacher.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Also, Simon & Garfunkel are one of my main influences I'd say. Their style of music is the kind I like.
OOO~ That's good stuff to shoot for! It used to be called folk music but there's more than a couple variations that might apply to what they actually became. Folk rock, R&B and comtempt-or-ary.:-)

Quote:
I really could write on and on about it, but I won't.
Whew!! I was startin' to worry, Wade.

Wade says some good stuff. It won't hurt ya to have private lessons to get some initial, technical structure and familiarity. Just don't hang your hat on it for too long. Experiment. Broaden your horizons. "Figure stuff out on your own" like Wade says.

I learned "April Come She Will" by myself. And then "Kathy's Song". And then "Anji". No instructor, no help. It wasn't perfect for a while but it was a wonderful sense of accomplishment being able to exercise a little ear/hand co-ordination without tab (it wasn't around much back then), without notation, without outside influence.

Good luck to ya. You are about to embark on a wonderful, fulfilling and maddening journey. Oh. And you'll be poorer too.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:30 PM

Yeah, someone should also point out that a good instructor is like a therapist. They're not going to help you if the chemistry isn't there. If you're dreading going to a lesson, best find another teacher.

Oh, and most teachers will give you an initial evaluation visit so you can see if it feels right.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 PM

Lightbulb Sooner or Later

I think taking a lesson from a good teacher is vital to solidify the basic skills. Then, you can use the knowledge to adapt to different styles of music.

I quit taking the lesson when I began playing. Then, I self tought. Now I am at a dead end and wish I didn't quit the lessons. I am telling myself I should go back to school again.
612C COTTEN little sister
XXMC i'm sensitive
Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 PM

One thing I'm wondering about after learning the first line of Scarborough fair (an hour later!) is that my fingers block other strings they shouldn't, even though I'm only using my tips as the book says...

Do I need to go on a finger diet, or is this just something that will come with practise?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:07 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beercan
One thing I'm wondering about after learning the first line of Scarborough fair (an hour later!) is that my fingers block other strings they shouldn't, even though I'm only using my tips as the book says...

Do I need to go on a finger diet, or is this just something that will come with practise?
Will come with practice.
ALso, if your guitar has a1 11/16" nut, you may fine playing with a 1 3/4" nut width guitar will be easier.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 PM

Oh my god, I really am a noob.
I have assumed from this, that the nut size is measured by measuring across the strings at the top end?
If so, mine is 1 & 1/11 as you say. Not much between that and 1 & 3/4 though is there...
I guess I just need practise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion