The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Movie Inconsistency?

My wife and I saw “The Post” today. We thoroughly enjoyed it and found it to be pretty close to reality as we remember it. However - during a scene with Vietnam War protestors, the camera went quickly by a few folks playing acoustic guitars. One of them appeared to be a Taylor of some sort, which I believe would be period incorrect for 1971. I may be mistaken, but my wife says I’m a geek anyway!
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:02 PM

According to a quick search online, Taylor and 2 others bought a guitar company in 1974. It was renamed "Taylor" along with a new headstock, in 1976. So, it does look period incorrect.

But what do I know? I could be wrong.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
My wife and I saw “The Post” today. We thoroughly enjoyed it and found it to be pretty close to reality as we remember it. However - during a scene with Vietnam War protestors, the camera went quickly by a few folks playing acoustic guitars. One of them appeared to be a Taylor of some sort, which I believe would be period incorrect for 1971. I may be mistaken, but my wife says I’m a geek anyway!
No, she is right. You are a geek.

I know the scene of which you speak. I couldn't make out any headstocks, but I doubt that it is the sort of mistake that Spielberg would make.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:18 PM

My favorite continuity flaws was the old TV series "Daniel Boone". Ed Ames played the Oxford educated Cherokee, Mingo and there was a scene where Mingo and Daniel were trying to get one of the settlers to do something they didn't want to do. Mingo came up with the idea that "We use psychology on him". They only had to wait 100 years for psychology to exist.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

I remember watching a film about Valley Forge when I was in grade school. One of the soldiers in the Continental Army was helping push a cannon through the snow. He was wearing a wrist watch. I’ve been fascinated with looking for film flaws ever since.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:20 AM

Final scene in Dunkirk.
British troops have made it back home.
This scene in the train looks way out of time.
Modern cloth seating, aluminum window frames and table trim.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-22-2018, 03:42 AM

There's something wrong with this shot....can't pinpoint it...

(yeah, yeah, there's a lot wrong with it !)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:12 AM

Netflix show Stranger Things is supposed to be 1984, but when they show scenes with music, they nail the fact that’s 80’s music, but I recognize many songs that were released from ‘86-‘88 or so.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

The classic Steve McQueen film Bullitt has been watched and rewatched so many times that numerous goofs have been identified http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062765/...ref_=tt_trv_gf . I had noticed in in the classic chase scene that Steve and his pursuers pass and then pass again the same green VW Beetle, but you've got to be pretty serious about your movie goofs to pick up some of these big screen snafus...

During the chase sequence, the same dark green Volkswagen Beetle is seen at least 4 different times in 4 different locations in a period of not more than 1 minute.

During the chase scene you can hear a manual stick shift changing gears on the Mustang during exterior shots of the car, but shots inside the vehicle during the chase show an automatic and not a manual stick.

During the chase, the Dodge Charger loses more than four wheel covers.

The Charger hits a parked car and damages the left fender, yet it is undamaged in subsequent shots.

Bullit's Mustang hasn't got an exterior door mirror on the driver side (at around 55 mins) before the car chase. When he gets out of the taxi (at around 62 mins) the Mustang suddenly has an exterior door mirror on the driver side.

When the Mustang makes its U-turn at the 66 station, Bullitt yields to a 66 Plymouth Fury, which becomes a late 50's Ford Victoria. With the same scene change, the time of day switches from late afternoon to mid-morning (see the shadows).

When Bullit yields for the first car at the 66 station, it is a Pontiac not a Plymounth Fury and when it switches to a different car, that car is a Desoto not a Ford Victoria.

During the chase between the Mustang and the Charger, just after the Charger side-swipes the truck and hits the fence, the old man reaches back to roll down the driver-side quarter window. At this point, the sides and doors are rather damaged, yet the two cars do not make contact until a few seconds later.

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-22-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 AM

People say this was a monumental gaf but I say rubbish! It just proves Sean Connery was the best Bond.

Skip to 3.25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cjlnnj0gtM&t=5s

YouTube
Old 01-22-2018, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Movie Inconsistency?

I look forward to seeing, "The Post." I think my favorite might have been the jet contrails stretching across the skies of, "Spartacus." Must have been some early jets...

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-22-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 AM

In The Flintstones cartoons, when they're driving their cars
the same scenery behind them repeats over and over . Maddening !
Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 AM

In Star Trek series 4 , episode 6 , I cracked up laughing when the Enterprise crew find a planet that is inhabited by decendendants of a Star Fleet crew that “jumped ship” by beaming down there in stardate 4267.4 .

Everybody nose that the star fleet beamer-downers are not invented ‘til stardate 4269.2 !

I guess the makers think Joe Public will never notice, incredible.....
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I think my favorite might have been the jet contrails stretching across the skies of, "Spartacus." Must have been some early jets...
They are obviously added using CGI
Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Netflix show Stranger Things is supposed to be 1984, but when they show scenes with music, they nail the fact that’s 80’s music, but I recognize many songs that were released from ‘86-‘88 or so.

The one plot point that bugged me a little was when "MADMAX" got the highest score on Dig Dug. Back then, you could only put in three initials on just about ANY video game, not six.

From Stranger things:

This is a better screenshot, but it was too big for this window:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...0.07.48_AM.png
Reality:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic