The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 AM

The last time I looked at Hondas, I concluded that they really want you to use your cell phone as the center of your electronic world...for music, for navigation, for everything. I came away from that experience with the feeling that, like it or not, having to download music to my phone was inevitable.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM

Things I like about CDs:

I can easily exchange CD mix “tapes” with friends. I won’t exchange thumb drives - had issues with traded thumb drives with viruses on them a couple of years ago.

Most manufactured CDs still contain information about the artists and recordings, who played what, etc., and some have interesting artwork or photos and are well designed.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
I know, you have said this multiple times. But why do you assume a CD player must have dash space?

I assume the car supports Bluetooth audio, in which case this can go anywhere:
https://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/air-cd

If not, I imagine it has a socket for an audio jack in which case any cheap portable CD player can be hooked up and positioned somewhere that is accessible but not obtrusive.
Bingo, here's your answer. I did this in the old days before cars had CD players. Your new Honda should have an audio plug that you can plug this unit into. This will give you the best quality, and you can easily store the player in the center console for easy access.

However, I'd take the plunge, time consuming as it will be. I did years ago, little by little. MP3s at 320 are pretty good quality files, BTW. Once in digital form it is so easy to make playlists, search for a specific song or artist, etc.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Bingo, here's your answer. I did this in the old days before cars had CD players. Your new Honda should have an audio plug that you can plug this unit into. This will give you the best quality, and you can easily store the player in the center console for easy access.
it does have some appeal as it's USB powered (the only other portables I found were battery only) Only problem is it doesn't appear to be available in the US any longer - only Europe and Japan.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Lots of reasons - as noted, I have way more selections than I have time to do all this uploading to devices.

Another is - I go to the library often and check out CD's (our local has about 10,000 titles or more, and lots of new releases) So now I have to go home and mess with them to be able to listen to them in my car?? That's why I went there - to have new tunes in the car for a few days.

When I go on a road trip, I typically take two cases that hold 100 CDR's each.

I'm also VERY, VERY picky about quality - and in the same realm as your original question - how someone can listen to MP3's and be happy baffles me.

You can always rip the CD in lossless format and retain the sound quality. Yes you’ll need 3x the space, but if you’re that much of an audiophile, then it’ll be worth it. Your car must have an amazing stereo system if you can hear the difference in between a good mp3 file and CD quality. I can only hear it when I listen with my nice headphones at home.

Ripping all those CD’s will be time consuming and tedious, but at least you won’t have to carry two boxes of CDR’s to your next road trip!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Your car must have an amazing stereo system if you can hear the difference in between a good mp3 file and CD quality. !
A good system, yes, but I have "dog ears" and hear everything. It's a blessing and a curse

Old 01-23-2018, 12:23 PM
G625 mistral-k

I have been reading the responses to your question hoping for a magic bullet answer. We changed out one of our vehicles last summer and the only solution we found was to export the iTunes library to a set of USB keys, (we have over 250GB of stored music in our iTunes library). In addition, we have only burned about 60 percent of the CD's we own. So, when we want to hear it in the vehicle, we burn it to iTunes and then export it to the USB key.

I don't know of any other method. Burning all your CD's is time consuming, fortunately it is winter in MI, making it conducive to indoor activities. Commit to 5 to 10 CD's a day for several weeks. In no time, you will have quite a library of music. That is what we did. Once done, it is portable to any vehicle you may own in the future. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Funny I removed the CD player off my civic and installed a digital music receiver with Bluetooth. My other car is a 2010 Lexus and that one has a 6 disc CD charger. I think there’s like 2 CD’s in there for the past 4 years or so.

Why would anyone would like to carry CD’s in their car this day and age baffles me.
I've had an MP3 CD player in all of my cars for the past 16 years. Each one has roughly 7-8 hours of music on it, and I can lay out the tracks in the order I want them to play. My current Subaru has a six disc system and supports MP3 CDs, so that's a lot of music. It's like my personal radio station, with no thought or interaction needed from me while driving.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:31 PM

my brother got serus xm satellite and says he can hear anything he wants at any time. this is word of mouth as i have not tried it but he swears by it. your new car will have this capability.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
I've had an MP3 CD player in all of my cars for the past 16 years. Each one has roughly 7-8 hours of music on it, and I can lay out the tracks in the order I want them to play. My current Subaru has a six disc system and supports MP3 CDs, so that's a lot of music. It's like my personal radio station, with no thought or interaction needed from me while driving.

Really can’t beat the convenience.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:29 PM

Funny, I just finished reading a test on the 2018 Subaru XV (Australian spec) model.

Quote, "It even has a CD player for the Luddites".

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Funny, I just finished reading a test on the 2018 Subaru XV (Australian spec) model.

Nice....

Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Since one song = one file, a thumb drive per file would be a bad idea. And unnecessary, when the MP3 library is properly tagged.
There's the rub. I'm not always on main street.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-24-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
To protect the jewel cases from scratching when I slide the CD's in an out of their storage rack. Just like I had all my vinyl in plastic outer bags to protect the jackets from wear.
LP jackets - understandable. Jewel cases? You can buy a box of 50 empty ones for under $10 for the rare time one actually 'scratches'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Only the models with the upgraded entertainment/navigation system (8" screen).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-24-2018, 09:43 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
LP jackets - understandable. Jewel cases? You can buy a box of 50 empty ones for under $10 for the rare time one actually 'scratches'.

I exercise preventative maintenance on everything I own - do everything I can to keep all of my possessions as new. I'm not rich enough to replace things down the line, and I find it gratifying to take care of things to the best of my ability. I'd say it's one of my core values.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic