The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-23-2018, 01:41 PM

Default Question about buyer's right's, seller's obligations

Bought what was listed as a new Gibson les paul es Memphis custom shop.
Received a les paul es studio. Requested a refund, seller says NO! Reverb says they'll intervene. This is the 3rd time in the last 6 mos. I have tried to purchase on Reverb where the merchandise has been Misrepresented. And why do sellers routinely fail to include a real important aspect of the listing like "Studio Model"....
Is the buyer responsible to know every minute detail of every one of the thousands of guitar models Gibson and others make? What happened to honesty?
I'd love to get input from owners of guitar shops/websites.....
Old 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM

what is that old saying, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." you have 3 times. did you call the person and talk to them? did you get serial number and confirm with gibson? how do you know it is a studio model? due diligence.

i'm siding with you but after 3 times........

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 01-23-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: quotation marks
Old 01-23-2018, 03:38 PM

Weren't there photos?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:58 PM

I'd fight that too. I strive to make my listings as accurate as possible, to the point of running serial numbers to verify the year, lots of photos, lengthy description, etc. I also agree there's way too many Gibson models to expect a buyer to memorize all the features of each one - listing a Studio as a Custom Shop is just shady.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM

That’s frustrating I’m sure!

I sell on there occasionally. I try to be as specific as possible and provide ample images.

When buying I usually try to contact the buyer before purchasing and ask some questions (even if I really don’t have any). I often find I can get a feel for the kind of seller they are just by the responses and their willingness to get and provide extra information.

All that said, I hope your dispute goes in your favor if it was misrepresented.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
what is that old saying, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." you have 3 times. did you call the person and talk to them? did you get serial number and confirm with gibson? how do you know it is a studio model? due diligence.

i'm siding with you but after 3 times........

play music!
No, 3 different transactions. The first seller immediately apologized and sent a return RMA ship so i could get the guitar I wanted elsewhere. Same thing with the 2nd, she claimed an honest mistake. This is a new Gibson, and I am familiar with the Studio's as I have one from 2015. I sell on Reverb, and when there is any issue, which there are often, I immediately contact buyer and make it right.
Reverb person did admit that the item was misrepresented, hopefully I'll prevail without too much cost or trouble.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars