The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Another 322ce 12-fret owner here. It's a really fantastic sounding and feeling instrument. I agree that it does everything well. You can even strum on it pretty hard, and it doesn't break up. The mahogany top just kind of compresses, and I love that it's so versatile.

It's also a killer looking guitar. My only reservation is that it's not under a gloss finish. I know Taylor would be eating into sales of their 522s if they glossed the 3 series, but man that blackwood would look so good if they did.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
I think that the 00-28VS deserves consideration as well. I own two rosewood 12 fret dreads and a rosewood 12 fret, 000 and a 00-28VS and that 00 is a beast! It plays like a nice classical and is very loud and full sounding.
+1 on the martin 00-28vs, should be able to get a great deal on a used one over there.

It is a phenomenal guitar, sounds great fingerpicked, flatpicked, strummed with a pick, strummed with fingers.

I have a fairly light playing style so it handles my pick playing with ease but if you where a heavier type of pick player then maybe a 12fret dread would be a better fit.

I would recommend trying one if you can, a lot of folks are scared off by the wide neck but personally I love it.

I considered myself almost an exclusively hog b+s man until I played this guitar and it totally redefined for me what a rosewood guitar could sound like.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
...If you are considering 12 fret dreadnoughts, you can easily find a new Larrivee SD40 in rosewood or mahogany for well inside you price range. (That's my next guitar.)
I had an SD40 for a short while. I loved everything about it...except the volume ended up being too much for my tinnitus or that guitar would have never left me.

Great tone.
Great strummer and fingerpicker.
And it was absolutely gorgeous to look at.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:05 PM

I also just love my 322ce , sounds great to me and I guess that’s what’s counts.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
Another 322ce 12-fret owner here. It's a really fantastic sounding and feeling instrument. I agree that it does everything well. You can even strum on it pretty hard, and it doesn't break up. The mahogany top just kind of compresses, and I love that it's so versatile.

It's also a killer looking guitar. My only reservation is that it's not under a gloss finish. I know Taylor would be eating into sales of their 522s if they glossed the 3 series, but man that blackwood would look so good if they did.
I understand it's a matter of taste - but I really love that satin finish with the shaded edgeburst on hog top Taylors.

But then I also love that all gloss finish on the all hog Taylor 5's. My 562ce is a strikingly good-looking guitar.

I sorely want to get a 322 12 fret SEB beauty as well.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbsBruce View Post
You might look around for a used Martin 000-17SM, which is no longer made, but which is an awesome and versatile spruce-topped, 12-fret, mahogany slot-head.
+1 - this guitar immediately came to mind when I read the OP's requirements.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 01-23-2018, 02:32 PM

Same hand issues. I didnt play with a strap forever (couldnt walk) and when i finally could use a strap it ade things sooooo much easier. With a strap i could always put the guitar in the best position for me standing and SITTING! Plus with a strap i can rotate the neck more in front of my body an this helps the left hand also!

I hope to get a 12 fret J45 or Southern Jumbo someday, but i love the Taylor hog over blackwood sound too

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 PM

You would probably like a Martin D-15S or a D-15SM. I think the D-15SMs were made in the custom shop. I don't know if they still make either of these models, but, used ones would be well under your budget.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM

Another big "Yes" vote for the Taylor Blackwood 322 12 Fret ... truly a remarkable guitar.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:55 PM

I actually like all of the Taylor hog & blackwood guitars regardless of size they all hav a richer deeper tone that i find very appealing

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-23-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos_picker View Post
Thanks for the information. I have looked at that same Webber about 50 times and just wish I could play one first.

I always play sitting down and the guitar rests on my right leg, no strap. I have strap and just never use it. I will have to explore, the option you mentioned.
That is one of the things about small shop guitars, which a Webber is, it will be much harder to simply come across one because there are simply not that many that were made. (Around 1500-1800, spaced out over some 20-odd years) And there won't be more, as David is winding down production so he can retire and travel more, given his wife, a pathologist, is also retiring.

My Webber is consistent with others that I've played (A lot were sold via a store here in Seattle, and I know the owner, so I've played more than most. They tend to be a bit dry, with great string to string separation. My SJ has a lovely little shimmery overtone series that doesn't take away from the clarity in the least, is a great fingerpicker and holds up quite well with a pick.

Sorry for being so enthusiastic.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:44 PM

No affiliation to seller but you may want to consider this Larrivee SD60. I had a chance to play one at an acoustic venue near my home and really liked it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=492605

Hope this helps
Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
That is one of the things about small shop guitars, which a Webber is, it will be much harder to simply come across one because there are simply not that many that were made. (Around 1500-1800, spaced out over some 20-odd years) And there won't be more, as David is winding down production so he can retire and travel more, given his wife, a pathologist, is also retiring.

My Webber is consistent with others that I've played (A lot were sold via a store here in Seattle, and I know the owner, so I've played more than most. They tend to be a bit dry, with great string to string separation. My SJ has a lovely little shimmery overtone series that doesn't take away from the clarity in the least, is a great fingerpicker and holds up quite well with a pick.

Sorry for being so enthusiastic.
I'm an unabashed Webber fanboy. You never know if you are going to like a particular guitar, but Webber's offer one of the best price/quality ratios in high end guitars IMO.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 PM
Guest 728

If you like a more vintage tone, your budget would include any of these Waterloo 12-fretters: WL12, WL12Mh, WL-K, WL-S. Great throwback tone with Collings quality.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:48 PM

I ended up buying a Martin 000-28VS.

Thank you to everyone for the input and conversation.
PRS S2 Singlecut Standard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion