The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-23-2018, 01:34 PM

Default which strings for a cordoba Cadete?

Hi all
We just bought a Cordoba Cadete and it's got some buzzing on the bass strings. I'm going to bring it to the shop and have them check it out, but I want to replace the strings no matter what. Any recommendations?
I see the Pro Arte EJ46's seem to be a popular choice for this guitar. Anything else?
I'm also going to have the saddle replaced, the action is low. Not sure how much this will help the buzzing, but I hope it will help the overall sound.
What else should we look at/check out?
And are strings like tires - best to replace them all at the same time? My son is happy with the treble strings....
Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Hi! Congrats on the Cadete, I love mine!

I have Oasis GPX Carbon classicals on it, probably normal tension. I think they are fine, not floppy or tubby, but YMMV. I happen to prefer carbon over nylon. I think it's clearer with more ring. That may be my older ears.

I had the opposite issue, I had to shave my saddle to get the action down. Mine is circa 2007 and was a beater when I got it, but it's too much fun and too pretty to let it go, even though it is what led me to the Cordoba C10 Parlor I have now, with which I'm also pleased. They sit side by side in my office.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:05 PM

i always liked the La Bella 2001's
Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 AM

Thank you both!
I'm happy to have some options - I wouldn't know how to narrow it down otherwise! If I knew what tone I was looking for it might be easier, but I don'r have that kind of ear.
Thanks TKT - I'm really enjoying the ease of play. The size in nice too (I'm pretty small). I wouldn't have thought to raise the action but I had a luthier look at it and she made the rec. My teacher seconded that opinion, so I guess it's what I need to do. Both said change the strings too, but neither could advise, so here I am.....
I don't know the difference between carbon and nylon in the context of strings, but I'll see if I can somehow compare them. Maybe I can find something on Youtube?

Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allif View Post
I don't know the difference between carbon and nylon in the context of strings, but I'll see if I can somehow compare them. Maybe I can find something on Youtube?
Uros Baric does a great comparison

Old 01-25-2018, 08:18 AM

That's awesome, thank you!
Old 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Also in regarding action, nylon strings are usually a little fatter than carbon, and that could make an incremental difference in how you have the guitar set up. I think carbon are also a little softer feel under the hand, but maybe you want that hair thicker string under your fingers.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks, TKT. I would have to feel them side by side to know.
The local shop doesn't stock carbon strings so I picked up what they had - the Pro Arte EJ46s. BUT.....the guy at the shop also fiddled with the truss rod a bit. I think he loosened it to lower the neck? So the action is higher and the strings sound brighter. I was advised to just play it as is for a bit, so that's what I'll do.
Maybe eventually I'll know what sound or feel I'm after.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allif View Post
Thanks, TKT. I would have to feel them side by side to know.
The local shop doesn't stock carbon strings so I picked up what they had - the Pro Arte EJ46s. BUT.....the guy at the shop also fiddled with the truss rod a bit. I think he loosened it to lower the neck? So the action is higher and the strings sound brighter. I was advised to just play it as is for a bit, so that's what I'll do.
Maybe eventually I'll know what sound or feel I'm after.

Thanks again for the advice!
Be prepared to (maybe) experiment with a few sets. Strings that go well with one guitar may not be as great on another. You've just gotta try a few to find what sounds best for that particular instrument. And equally important (maybe even more important) is finding what feels best to the guitarist who's playing them.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:21 AM

For almost any Cordoba, I would go with hard-tension strings regardless of brand. The EJ46's would be my first choice, but of course opinions vary.

I'm fond of the lower-priced Cordobas, they can have suprisingly mature tone for entry-level guitars. But the necks can be buzzy and feel a little floppy -- as you're discovering. If you've already got hard tensions on the instrument and are still getting significant buzz then, yeah, have it checked out and adjusted as needed.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Slim II View Post
For almost any Cordoba, I would go with hard-tension strings regardless of brand.

I've owned a Cordoba C5, C9, C10, and C12 and I had excellent result with medium tension EJ-45s on all four guitars. There's so much variance in tension between brands and a player's preference is also subjective. I noticed very little loss in volume and I prefer the ease of play in lighter tension strings.

If a guitar is brand new, sometimes it's recommended to go with higher tension strings for the first few months to help break-in the top.

Light...medium....hard tension. They're all good and it's best for each person to try the different brands and tensions.

That's my 2 cents!
Old 01-30-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, Dogsnax.
I am a bit concerned that the hard tension strings will make it less fun
to play. Glad to know that the medium tension might be a good option.

Cheers!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 PM

Default What strings for a Córdoba cadete

Use hard tension strings. On a guitar with that short of a scale, the hard tension strings will feel more like medium tension, and on that short of a scale, the medium tension strings will feel slackened. Medium tension might also be more prone to buzzing. I use D’Addario EJ46 on mine. If you find that the treble strings are to big in diameter, try a carbon HT set like D’Addario EJ46FF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical