The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 AM

Default Harmonica Players Post Here

I Google and all the threads I found were specific questions regarding harmonicas. So I figured just create an open forum for it since this is now my 3rd instrument (acoustic guitar; bass; and now harmonica).

In just a few short weeks I have improved a lot from day 1; I contribute that to playing daily while driving to and from work; no lectures about that people.

I also became obsessed really fast and come to own the following all in the key of C:
Hohner Special 20
Suzuki Pro
Lee Oskar

Loving it but sometimes get frustrated and when that happens I Just put i down or I put it away for the day.

The biggest challenge I am facing is the 4 hole draw; majority of the time sounds like I am killing a cow.

I will eventually work on bending but my main focus now after learning "Silent Night" and "Happy Birthday" is the Star Wars theme song, and when I can at home work at the 12 bar blues and of course daily the 4 hole draw.

Post away.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I think I was 7 or 8 years old when my Dad bought me a little Marine Band harmonica; he had one of the big ones, the 64 Chromonica, and wasn't about to let me mess around with that!

Now, nearly 60 years later (!), I remain a very basic harmonica player... your basic "campfire licks" along with a few blues type bends. Don't play it much these days, but I'll be taking one with me tomorrow when I drive down to Southern California...

When my Dad passed away, I was the sibling who ended up with that 64 Chromonica, still in it's faux walnut case... now well bleached from the UV exposure of 50+ years... longer, if this is indeed the same one from my childhood!

VERY rare to find a harmonica player with taste and restraint... you know that joke?

?"What did the harmonica player say, after just finishing the longest solo of his life?"

"ONE MORE TIME!!!"
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 AM

I am probably the newest “French Harp” player here.

I had a couple laying around. I always wanted to learn them but never wanted to actually learn how. I just wanted to fake it like they were slide whistles. I had a couple Blues Bands in C that I got at Cracker Barrel years ago. And an 8 harp set of Blues Bands that I bought a few years ago. Blues Bands are pretty lousy, but you can do even worse. My grandmother gave me a Wm. Kratt Super 48 Chromatic about 1969. Never bothered to learn it, and it floated from drawer to drawer over the last 49 years. I also found a Low C 12 hole Marine band that I found in my father in laws belongings after he died.

And somewhere around here I have four Marine bands that I bought in the 70s. Back when they were $5 each. Records stores sold them. I think I had a C, F, A, and G. I know they are around. I don’t throw that kind of stuff away. And my late wife thru nothing away. I remember seeing them about 10-15 years ago. I think I know where they are, but it’s a deep dive into a loaded cubby hole. But you know, nowadays, those 4 Marine Band Harps are $200 new total.

A local friend has a weekly mailing list of “Folk” related events in the town, state, region. About 10 days ago it mentioned a harmonica club at a very nearby adult recreation center. So Wednesday night a friend and I went. There were 4 other people there one middle aged gal, and 3 really old guys. Nice guys, but like in their 80s. The notice had said beginners to pros welcome, so I expected a little bit of a run down... Nope. Pure immersion.

The guys tooted along playing Perry style music. Not Katy Perry, not Joe Perry, but Como, Perry. Anyway it was fun, and very relaxing. I was surprised how I was able work songs out after a few puffs. Just about every note you need is within four holes.

Also, they play a lot of different harmonicas but chromatics are their main tool. And the rough rule is everything is in C. Not always, but mostly.

Plus they play other instruments. Jazz guitar, classical guitar and the most beat up uke I ever saw. I’m bringing in a Pearl Frame drum and a set of brushes next week.

So I went home pumped. I practiced. I bought. I now have H.A.S.

I bought a Lee Oscar diatonic C, to play instead of the Blues Bands. I also got a Hohner Chrometta 12, since I was unable to find the Kratt grandma gave me. After the Hohner arrived, I found the Kratt. And I ordered two more diatonics this am. A Suzuki and a Hohner Golden Melody. The Suzuki is in A so I can try E Blues in cross harp, and the Golden Melody is a just tuned harp. Better for single notes. A C is a C and A is an A. Most diatonics are sweetened this way or that.

I’ve been playing the crap out of them. Originally I wanted just to do a little accompaniment my guitar. But playing with these guys and actually learning the instruments ought to give me a good foundation

Unfortunately while the club is over 50 years old, i think it’s dying. Just a few members left. Most are healthy, but really old. And they play really old music. Really old. I remember it because my parents played it every Sunday afternoon. I didn’t care for it, but it soaked in. Anyway, I think if the right guy dies or has a stroke, they are done. I know two other guys that were once members, but they left because they got tired of the 1950s crooner stuff. .

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made

Last edited by Scootch; 01-23-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 AM

I have several and play them often.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:28 PM

I’ve been an occassional harmonica player for years. I like Special 20’s and Lee O’s.

You want all the keys eventually, yes that’s quite a layout to get them all at once and to begin C, G, A and E covers a whole bunch of stuff in either straight or cross key.

Anyhooo .... Here’s the great thing about being a harpist : IT IMMEDIATELY CONFERS “FRONT MAN” STATUS ON THE PLAYER !

I used to get up and do a couple of numbers with a local (mostly blues and rock) band that played in a pub near me.
We’d do e.g. “Sweet Home Chicago” or “Kansas City” (like any of us had ever been to either of ‘em. )

They had a great sax player who had probably studied music all his life, and a really hot lead guitarist, they’d rehearsed ,,,
BUT, the ol’ (nearly right) harp solo cuts right to the front every time and somehow exites an audience.

After leaving the stage, I would get lots of attention and questions about the instrument from audience members, with their rapturous applause still ringing in my ears; “groupies” I guess I could say, sadly pretty much all guys. Still,, gotta start somewhere ....

Another plus point, a harmonica or even 2 or 3 is about as portable as instruments get.

Oh yeah, if you can use a neck harness and sing and play guitar, the audience admiration at open mics is out of all proportion to the (let’s face it ) pretty easy skills of playing a bit of harp.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 PM

i use mostly hohner special 20 or pro harps. mississippi sax.

find as many youtube videos as you can. seeing is believing.

the things that helped me most was pursing the lips, pulling back the tongue to get the bend, blocking the notes with the tip of the tongue, and, aiming the harp up a bit. also, learn to slide or slur the notes fairly fast left and right.

i got bored right away trying to play songs so i found the best method for me was to play along with backing tracks, either guitar or harmonica backing tracks, but, playing fills.

hope this helps.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 01-23-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: backing tracks
Old 01-23-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
majority of the time sounds like I am killing a cow.
Sounds like you've become a really good player--novices sound like they're slaughtering a pig.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 PM

I learned 75% of everything I know about harp playing in one afternoon circa 1973. By that I mean 2nd position blues playing. I play a lot of 3rd position minor stuff like Mary Jane's Last Dance and 1st postion like Harvest Moon. Not that I haven't improved some since then! People seem to love harp. It's like the sprinkles on the icing on the cake, but a little too much can be way too much IMHO. I get by with a G harp for most of the songs I gig. I carry an A for blues in E, and a C for Long Train Running. I don't ever play the melody of the song, only harp fills and solos. It's fun!

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic