The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Google mail? Gmail problems?

Suddenly today I get an email from Gmail saying I should change my password - so i did

Nothing but email problems and issues since.
Is it just me?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:25 PM

Are you positive the email was from Gmail?

Did you click on a link?
Can't be too careful, even when it looks legit.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I didn't get one and I have Gmail. Go change your password again from your settings screen, not a provided link.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 PM

I've never gotten an email from Gmail. Sounds bogus to me.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:14 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I double checked and did get an email recently suggesting I review my security settings, but that's all.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Are you positive the email was from Gmail?

Did you click on a link?
Can't be too careful, even when it looks legit.
Absolutely!

If you ever think such a thing is real, go to the website yourself and change your password there. IF you clicked a link in the email, you likely gave away password and other information. I’d suggest opening a new window and going to Google to change your password again - and then every other website where you use the old or new passwords you used when you clicked the link.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 AM

I have gmail too and never received any notice FYI.

Dan
Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 AM

I see these things all the time from fake yahoo mail announcements - depending on your browser, you can usually hover over the incoming email address to see the real source, and same thing on the link they send.
You just got phished.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-23-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
you can usually hover over the incoming email address to see the real source, and same thing on the link they send.
Yes, this is great advice. Remember and do this.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Well I phned up my usual IT man this morning but his shop has been broken into back door ripped off and front windows smashed and many new and custopemr's computers pads etc., stolen (including their info of course)

He didn't really have the time to help me.

I phoned an old business acquaintance who was an IT consultant and he tried for over an hour (via teamviewer) to make my Gmail account work on Outlook 2007, and couldn't so I guess we will ave to tak it off anf put iton again.

Just to be sure I've changed my password (on the google site) once again!

Tiresome.

Then I got a watch delivered that I bought on Ebay. No manual, and date function not working.
Something wrong with it, all the jewelers in town won't touch it ...What a great day!

Think I'll go and change some strings.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well I phned up my usual IT man this morning but his shop has been broken into back door ripped off and front windows smashed and many new and custopemr's computers pads etc., stolen (including their info of course)

He didn't really have the time to help me.

I phoned an old business acquaintance who was an IT consultant and he tried for over an hour (via teamviewer) to make my Gmail account work on Outlook 2007, and couldn't so I guess we will ave to tak it off anf put iton again.

Just to be sure I've changed my password (on the google site) once again!

Tiresome.

Then I got a watch delivered that I bought on Ebay. No manual, and date function not working.
Something wrong with it, all the jewelers in town won't touch it ...What a great day!

Think I'll go and change some strings.
The Microsoft Office 2007 version reached end of life support last year. I suggest using your gmail via a newer fully supported mail client program or an up to date web browser.

This generally applies well beyond your gmail and obsolete Outlook issue. The time you spend moving to a fully supported setup will be far more productive than fighting with something that's no longer supported. This is especially true when the server side (Google) continues to develop features, and true in this world where newer software addresses newer security issues.

If your computer is not new you can often get decent compatibility and performance with Firefox. That's going to work with different operating systems. It doesn't use as much RAM as I see Chrome use on the older systems I still support.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Suddenly today I get an email from Gmail saying I should change my password - so i did

Nothing but email problems and issues since.
Is it just me?
I’ve received several of those in my Spam folder. Deleted all of them without clicking a link. SPAM!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:40 AM

Every once in a while, I get such notes with recommendations that I change my password or "click here" to log into Google in order to review a security incident of some sort. They've all been phishing attempts, confirmed by quick web searches for current Gmail scams.

If you logged in through the link provided in the email you received, log in to Google/Gmail from your web browser and change your password immediately. For future similar emails you may receive, always leave your email client and log into Google directly from your browser at the Google login page. Don't use the link provided in such emails.

I'm also a fan of long, complex passwords, and I use LastPass to generate and store such passwords. There are other alternatives, of course, but I kind of like LastPass. The result is that I have only two passwords to remember: my system login on boot-up (another long and complex password) and my LastPass password. As always, YMMV, as may your level of paranoia.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I have been getting those. I have learned to be the last one to make changes to my passwords or personal information when asked via texts or email. If I think it may be real I'll log in to the original site and see what is going on. I never click the text or email and go through it. From years of scams on EBay, PayPal etc. I always wait until I know for sure what is real or not. I don't need to be the first guy to keep his net records strait. Being last has it's benefits. By then all the bugs are worked out. So I've been deleting those notices. My reward is knowing I did the right thing so thanks. Sorry for your troubles.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-25-2018, 11:27 PM

It's gettin REAL HUNGRY out there and there are so many PRO SCAMMERS NOW , they're making millions from unsuspecting people . I try and use Cash most of the time ESPECIALLY Restaunts, all it takes is one quik Credit Card Photo and ... well we all know .... ANY CARD NEVER LEAVES MY HAND . I learned when a Walmart cashier Grabbed it out of my hand , said it wasnt working right , Then stuck it under the counter and back in the register, punches some buttons and said it would work , it did . And I was Taken for $1600 in GAS FROM 2 Stations Tanker Truckers most likely the next week . Bank Paid the fraud , NEVER LET ANY CARD LEAVE YOUR HAND PERIOD!

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 01-27-2018 at 12:59 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic