The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Default Pickup for Eastman E10SS?

I know - pickup recommendation requests have been beaten to death...I'm sorry.

I've got an Eastman E10SS that I am about to bring in for a setup and to have a strap button installed and I was thinking it'd be a good time to also have a pickup installed.

I have a K&K Mini installed in my Martin HD28 and I like it, but its been years since I had it installed and I am wondering what else might be out there. I am a complete newb when it comes to amplified acoustic, so things like dual source are a complete mystery to me!

Any suggestions would be great! If the answer is to stick with the K&K I wouldn't be upset, but also open to suggestions for another flavor.

FWIW, I have a Radial PZ-Pre (thanks Phil Volan!) that will see the signal.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:14 AM

hmm....That's a pretty open question
May I ask what style do you mainly play?
What equipments will you be possibly using with it?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM

True - its pretty open. I'm mainly a strummer - singer-songwriter stuff. I have a Radial PZ Pre and some effects (delay, verb, compressor). I'm planning on picking up a Fishman Loudbox Mini for home use to replace the ZT Lunchbox I used to run my Martin through.

Most of this is just for fun - home looping/jamming type stuff but I'd like the opportunity to play some open mics.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

I think a good soundhole pup like an M1A keeps it pure when you want pure, and does what you need electrically as well.

I have one in my Farida OT22 and also an M80 in my Martin D15.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 AM

so the amps and the preamp have 1 channel of eq. In that case I may go with single source or at most a UST+SBT mono combo.
With regards to strumming style, (at least for my personal taste) I would go with something that will bring out the string vibrance as first priority.
I will definitely agree that K&K will be quite a good solution. On the other hand, I think the Dazzo pickups or Schatten HFN are some good choices as well.
For the dual source stuff, I will do a little bit more research before I can make a recommendation that may benefit you.

http://schattendesign.com/HFN-Artist.htm
http://dazzopickups.com/
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 PM

I second the M1-A. Simple, sounds great, no feedback and bulletproof.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 PM

Default Pickup for Eastman E10SS?

I would look through this forum for other pickup related threads - there are plenty of them. One thing to consider is that everyone “hears” differently and each person has their perception of how the amplified guitar should sound. Secondly, the amp/pa used can “color” the sound. Then you must decide what type of pickup. Piezo, K&K disk style, mike + piezo or K&K, preamp or no preamp. It’s really a simple decision [emoji41].
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification