The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-14-2017, 08:50 PM

So time to cut some frets, measure the headstock end, subtract so much for the overhang on either side. Measure the holes in the bridge for the string width, ???

The nut width is wider than the string spacing for the bridge. Stick a nut in the slot, the fretboard and in turn the neck is too wide. Really? Mark the fretboard, scribe it, take it real carefully to the belt sander. Or the belt sander to it. At least I didn't frig that up. Now I have to recarve the neck, well at least blend the edges and some of the neck to headstock transition. And I spent more time than I intended on it but it just did not feel right. Not like I have done many ukulele necks, this being number two. I think I will leave it for tomorrow, I am a little bumbed out and a little late to get started now. Nobody said the road to glory was easy.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:23 PM

Wanted to get a number of coats of wipe on poly on the bodies and necks so they can harden. I'll trim the fretboards and touch up the cut ends. Getting close on these two.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 PM

The tuners I had turned out to be crap, felt like sand in the gears. Next time I try using new tuners I'll take them out for a spin. Have some cheap ones, not that the others cost much, but at least these felt ok. But the posts were shorter than the other set. That meant I had to shave the back of the headstock and refinish it.

I am glad this part is done. Now just frets and glue on the neck and bridge.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:35 PM

Just need to do a nut and saddle but otherwise done. Sorry for the slightly washed out top picture.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Far from perfect but good enough for now.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 PM

Now that I have some time, time to revisit some other projects. Like my balsa guitar.

The neck and fretboard obviously is not balsa, mind you the junk 'mahogany' (as sold by the lumberyard, a weed lookalike) is not all that hard either. The fretboard is maple that I dyed with some dye I got from a shoe repair guy. Charged me more than I think it should have cost but it did do a nice job. I just did the rosette first with a pencil then a marker. Spent this afternoon shaving the neck. Need to put some binding on it next.

Darn, I forgot I was going to put the bridge on that six string uke. Maybe later, I want to see what this one will do.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 PM

Have the binding on the Balsa and sanded it smooth. You would think it would be easy such a soft wood but it is so easy to mark up. I need to take some material off of one cheek of the heel to get the neck to line up right, did not feel like doing fiddly type of stuff tonight. Instead I scraped and sanded my 2"x4" guitar body.

Next is to fit the neck on the body then glue on the fretboard. I would have done that tonight but I am not sure if I want to add an extension on the neck for the fretboard to sit on and cut a slot in the upper bout area for the extension. Does not seem like a complicated job but when this is a one of a kind guitar I am a little hesitant doing something new with the possibility of screwing it up.

Last edited by printer2; 01-12-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: gramar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair