The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Default Godin Acoustic 5th Avemue Archtop

I know the 5th Ave does not have a carved top - but does anyone have any experience with the Acoustic 5th Ave.

Most Godins have excellent craftsmanship. Any thoughts on this one? I am pretty sure that it is made in Camada.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2017, 11:10 AM

They're great! Excellent quality, and for a small laminated box they have a very pleasing sound. Highly recommended for an inexpensive "worry free" archie.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-28-2017, 01:19 PM

All that Mr. Beaumont says is true, and yes, they are made in Canada. I had one for a few years and they give a good sound both acoustically and through an amp. If/when you get one I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Default 5th Avenue

Sent you a pm Rev Tim.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:50 PM

I own two - the acoustic version and the single-cut/2-PU CW II - and it's the best $500 you'll ever spend IMO: no bells-&-whistles, plain satin finish, the usual Godin attention to QC, and more tone than you'd expect from something this inexpensive; first thing you'll want to do is get rid of the factory light-gauge strings and put on a set of mediums or heavier (you need the additional string mass/tension to adequately drive the top of any archtop guitar, and this one has a "short" 24-7/8" scale to boot). I'm presently using PB 14's on mine, and I'll be going to Martin Monel MM13's next string change; they're slightly higher-tension than typical PB mediums but with a surprisingly slinky feel - should be good for David Rawlings-type lead lines...
Old 10-31-2017, 10:38 AM

Ive got a Kingpin with the neck p90 and I do not think the acoustic sound is really degraded too much with the mounting of the pickups and pots as long as you use at least 13s. I play mine unplugged all the time. These sound really nice when played alongside a flat top since the two don't blend into each other.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops