The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Strings for The Loar LH300?

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I did a search and came up empty. I recently acquired one of these in a trade. I know these seem to be a mixed bag quality and tone wise, but this one seems OK. A bit subdued volume wise, but I am fine with that. I love v necks, so find it very playable. A prior owner added an arm rest, pick guard and cast tailpiece. I am a finger picker, and play a range of genres and just started into Bossa nova,which it seems suitable for (primarily using a classical for that though). Curious as to strings people are using on these. Just installed some Elixer PB nano web lights and it sounds pretty good, but looking for the optimal sound.

Thanks!

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 09-11-2017, 12:42 PM

I have a Loar LH700, currently liking Martin Monel 0.013s on it. Although I have to say, I don't really like this guitar for finger picking, mainly as I find the nut a bit narrow, but for some choppy chords or chord solo type stuff I enjoy it. For finger style you might want to try some warmer sounding strings.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Another vote for the Martin Monels - I've got them on both my hog-top Martins and my Rainsong JM1000, and my Godin 5th Avenue acoustic is getting an MM13 set next string change. FWIW as several other threads have noted you've got to break them in a little before they really sound their best, but once you do they last a long time...
Old 09-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Thanks! Those monels must be popular on that guitar-that's what was on it when I got it. I really wasn't keen on the tone picking with my bare fingers. Maybe with a flat pick? But nice to know. The ones on it were long in the tooth. I may feel different with a fresh set.

Guitars:
Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 PM

Probably light-gauge to boot - you need something a little heavier to drive the top on an archtop guitar. BTW, don't be put off by the idea of a medium-gauge set for fingerstyle - the monels have a slinky feel that belies not only their respective gauges but their overall tension (8-10 lbs. more than PB in the same gauge), so if you're an eclectic player who prefers archtop tone these should be just the ticket...
Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Yep. They were lights. I'll try the mediums and see if I like them.

Thanks!

Guitars:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops