The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Breedlove Atlas AC25/SR Plus: input/opinions

I am seeking input/opinions on Breedlove Atlas AC25/SR Plus. It seems to be the closest model I can find of decent quality, smaller body that emulates the guitar I would REALLY like (Taylor 314ce). Cost difference is significant.

Thanks for any insight and opinions.

In order to avoid the inevitable "go play and go with what your ears tell you" I also have to listen to the wallet as well. If cost were same, the 314ce would win out easily. Unfortunately they are not.
Collings 290, Suhr Antique Classic Limited Edition Roasted, PRS Silver SkyFender Super Champ XD, Boss Katana 100, Helix Floor
Old 12-13-2006, 03:31 PM

I have played several of the Breedlove Atlas series guitars and think that they offer spectacular bang for the buck ratio. I came close to buying an Atlas 12 string a few months back. It was giving my USA Breedlove 12 string with Koa back and sides a run for its money at a fraction of the price.

Last edited by cotten; 12-13-2006 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Words that are inappropriate here are just as inappropriate when abbreviated.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM

While I don't own one of these, I am a little familar with them. I think this is a fine guitar. Last September I went through Oregon and took a tour of the Breedlove factory. In their waiting room, they had several guitars hanging on the wall for folks to play. While the Atlas series is made in Korea, they are initially shipped to the Breedlove factory in Oregon (and set up/inspected there) before being sent out to their dealers.

I had a chance to play the AC25/SR Plus (but in a 12-string version - brand new model not yet in their catalog) and A/B it with one of the Oregon-built Custom Breedlove 12 strings. The action on the two guitars side by side was nearly identical. The comparison really couldn't go any further as the wood combos were very different between the Atlas and the Custom.

The AC25/SR Plus has all the bling (and a built-in tuner with the Fishman pickup) and is an easy-to-play instrument. You may be paying a little extra for that "bling" on the AC25 (you may also want to look into the AC250 series if you're trying to save a little cash). Both versions 25 and 250 play pretty good.

For what it's worth, I am strongly considering getting an AC25/SR-12 Plus myself to add to my small fleet of Taylor guitars.

2009 Taylor XXXV Baritone
2007 Taylor GS5e-12 String (Spruce and Mahogany)
2006 R. Taylor "MARS" (Redwood and Cocobolo)
2006 Breedlove ABJ250 SM4 (Acoustic Bass)
1997 Taylor 514c (w/ Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend)

2 Turntables and a Microphone
Old 12-13-2006, 03:38 PM

My brother bought a Breedlove AC25/SR+ a short time ago and I was quite impressed with the tone/quality for the dollars. I'd say go for it but as always try and play a few of them before settling.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 PM

Honestly, I've read great and lousy reviews on the "Atlases". Obviously, they are Pac Rim made. They may carry the "Breedlove" moniker, but also may resemble little to their U.S. Brothers. If you like the sound, and the timbre of the one(s) you are auditioning, by all means buy it. But be aware: many have dissed the overseas models, and the re-sale on eBay or elsewhere may be well-below your expectations. If you are buying this for yourself, and wish to keep it for that, that is a factor. Frankly, I have yet to see an "Atlas" fetching its price once bought and attempted to be sold. I might wish to save up for the USA brand, or many others in that price range. My .02 cents.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
I am seeking input/opinions on Breedlove Atlas AC25/SR Plus. It seems to be the closest model I can find of decent quality, smaller body that emulates the guitar I would REALLY like (Taylor 314ce). Cost difference is significant.

Thanks for any insight and opinions.

In order to avoid the inevitable "go play and go with what your ears tell you" I also have to listen to the wallet as well. If cost were same, the 314ce would win out easily. Unfortunately they are not.
I just recently had the same "GAS" pains that you are now having. Looked very strongly at the Taylor 314ce; really wanted one, but the bank account said no. Just happened across the Atlas AC25/SR Plus and was very impressed. Impressed enough that I purchased one with no regrets what so ever. I still perfer the looks of the Taylor 314ce, but when compairing build quality, sound/tone (both plugged and unplugged), playability, and price, the Breedlove is just as good; if not better in some areas. I really enjoy mine. For the money, they are hard to beat.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500R

What am I listening to now: Zac Brown Band "The Foundation"
Old 12-13-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
...the guitar I would REALLY like (Taylor 314ce). Cost difference is significant...
The cost difference is far less if you can find a used 314 in decent shape. Might just be a lot closer than you think. Also, if you've not tried the 214, I'd suggest you look one up. Different from the 314 in some ways, but not bad at all. At least you get the same neck and body size. I've even seen a few of them for sale used, which might bring it even closer to your target.

cotten
Old 12-13-2006, 09:54 PM

Default My Breedlove AC 200/SM

Hello all (my 1st post here),
I recently bought a Breedlove Atlas AC 200/SM as my first guitar. For those unfamiliar...grand concert, solid sitka top, laminated mahogany sides and back, no cutout, no electronics, a basic guitar.

I have no experience playing any other instruments so I was at the mercy of the staff at a local Portland shop that carried only acoustic instruments. I told them I was interested in more guitar than the typical beginners $150 guitar and I knew this was something I would be continuing for a long time. After looking at several priced above and below the Breedlove, I tried strumming a few (looking back - I couldn't even form a chord or know what one was) and really like the overall tone of this one.

I've since had many experienced players, including a few teachers, play my guitar and each has been very impressed with the sound and playability of the lowest priced Atlas guitar. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one, maybe they are actually well designed and well made guitars.

If mine is an indication of this line of mass-produced Breedlove guitars, the AC25 you are contemplating will, likely, be a welcome addition.

PS - The factory tour is really cool...if you are travelling near Tumalo (Bend).

Jay
Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 PM

My thoughts exactly. I recently played a new 214 and was really impressed. If I were looking for a 314 Taylor I would have no hesitation grabbing that 214 instead. Plain as the day is long but everything else is there.

I purchased an Atlas AD20 SR Plus about two years ago from Elderly via Internet. Tone, fit and finish, and looks were all there. Unfortunately I just couldn't deal with the narrow fretboard and ended up returning it. The 214 would not have that problem as it has a wider, 1.75 inch fretboard at the nut.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
The cost difference is far less if you can find a used 314 in decent shape. Might just be a lot closer than you think. Also, if you've not tried the 214, I'd suggest you look one up. Different from the 314 in some ways, but not bad at all. At least you get the same neck and body size. I've even seen a few of them for sale used, which might bring it even closer to your target.

cotten
Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

on the Taylor front....two things that moved me beyond the 2 series, I want cutaway and more than the Blue e system. If I get Taylor I want ES or the older Fishman. Though the Blue does not sound bad, I like volume and eq on board. great feedback..keep it coming!
Collings 290, Suhr Antique Classic Limited Edition Roasted, PRS Silver SkyFender Super Champ XD, Boss Katana 100, Helix Floor
Old 12-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Resale is low on everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
......and the re-sale on eBay or elsewhere may be well-below your expectations. If you are buying this for yourself, and wish to keep it for that, that is a factor. Frankly, I have yet to see an "Atlas" fetching its price once bought and attempted to be sold. I might wish to save up for the USA brand, or many others in that price range. My .02 cents.
I don't want to hijack this thread but I disagree.

Resale is low on everything; U.S. and Import made. I would argue the percentages and money lost don't vary tremendously between U.S. and Imports except for a few builders. When resale is usually bearable is when resaling a instrument that was bought as used.

I go through this every time I plan a purchase. Buying a solid used instrument makes very good economic sense for the buyer. However. sometimes one can find a homerun deal on a new instrument where there is little difference between the used and new price. While resale is a factor in buying it is only a major factor for players who often trade.

As far as the Atlas. I played one briefly and was very impressed as I was with the 214. The only negative is the narrower neck. Buy what you really want even if it requires waiting. If you don't you'll be buying it later.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 PM

For the money, you can't miss with an Atlas.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 PM

Maybe I am incorrect but I believe the Atlas line have a far more limited warranty versus a Taylor (lifetime). I too believe that the Breedloves are nice guitars, I just wish that they had 1 3/4" necks and a slightly wider string spacing at the bridge. My stubby fingers seem to fight for room when I play fingerstyle.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:59 PM

I had one briefly; sold it to a bandmate who was learning to play. First one needed a neck reset; I sent it back to OR and they replaced the guitar. So they stand by their stuff.

I liked it well enough but replaced it with a Larrivee, and replaced that with a Martin. All good guitars, even great guitars. And so it goes...

For the money, a very nice box.

/john
Old 12-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

thanks for the feedback.

I have moved selection to:

AF250/SF Plus (Jumbo, spruce top, flamed maple back and sides). Does anyone know if this model has solid back and sides or are they laminate? I have not played the jumbo, but I like the jumbo sound in most of the brands/models that I have played and would like to try this one.

thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion