The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 PM

Default New BOSS Acoustic Amp Looks Like a Winner!

Not sure what these will sell for, but it sure looks/sounds good. Serious competition for the other options out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ_pFnvgYtk
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 PM

Cool - a combo of the VE-8 acoustic singer pedal and a Loudbox mini-style amp. Initial street pricing looks to be about $499 for the 60W and $699 for 120W amps. Reframes the options - with puts/takes of an "all in one" solution vs the flexibility of separate gig equipment.

Love the innovation here, will be interesting to see how TC Helicon responds to Boss aggressively moving into TC's space...
Old 02-13-2017, 05:17 AM

With TC Helicon now being owned by Music Group (Behringer), I have wondered why they didn't combined some technologies to develop something new. I thought for sure this NAMM they would have a PA, amp or digital mixer with these functions built in. With many companies now developing a line array, I expected TC to follow with these functions built in to one. With their digital mixer technology or Bluetooth pedal boards, make a wireless pedalboard to control it.

Don't mean to take away from the OP. This Boss unit looks great. Would love to try it out. The You Tube videos don't showcase the guitar sound too well. Most of them have a ton of effects on the guitar (heavy chorus and reverb) so it's hard to tell if the guitar part of this thing sounds as good as the vocal. The vocal sounds great, which I think is where some acoustic amps struggle.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:30 AM

I was impressed with some of the video demos of this unit. Like Marty, I've been expecting Tc Helicon to integrate their Play Acoustic product into a firmware upgradable acoustic amp. Line 6 L2t is similar in that regard without the vocal harmony features.

Having it (or at least everything but harmony) all in one box would be great. I can see the Boss unit being popular with folks. It will be interesting to see how it sells.

The only downside I can see is players wanting a different style PA solution. That would drive them to keep the pedals separate.

The BOSS VE-8 is well regarded by some folks here. I hope this product sells well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-13-2017, 07:09 AM

I currently busk with a DIY battery-operated TC Helicon Harmony Singer + Roland AC-33 + Laney AH4x4 for about 12kg or so. Like what the others mentioned above, I'd definitely appreciate something that combines the functions and versatility of a loud battery-operated outdoor line column system that has vocal harmony functions that goes below 10kg!

Don't see that happening anytime soon though...
Old 02-13-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I currently busk with a DIY battery-operated TC Helicon Harmony Singer + Roland AC-33 + Laney AH4x4 for about 12kg or so. Like what the others mentioned above, I'd definitely appreciate something that combines the functions and versatility of a loud battery-operated outdoor line column system that has vocal harmony functions that goes below 10kg!

Don't see that happening anytime soon though...

Closest I've found is the Carvin S600B (6 channel line array portable PA, with effects, at 27 lbs) and a mod to make my TC Helicon Play Acoustic run on a 12v external laptop battery. It's extremely powerful and would be fully battery operated. Waiting for the battery for the TC to arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 AM

The Carvin S600B looks to be really good if I didn't already get the Laney AH4x4 late last year, which is very similar but probably sounds a little worse! Would have gotten the S600B otherwise... Am waiting for the next big upgrade to arrive - but I don't see that happening in the coming 2 years
Old 02-13-2017, 04:22 PM

I'm really looking forward to giving this amp a try.
Once again we get screwed over here in Australia.
The 60W is $800, while the 120W version will be $1100.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Wonder if the harmonizer has pitch correction for the voice coming from the mic. It matches the harmony voice to correct pitch detected from the guitar but what is the singer is off key. How does that sound, one voice on key, the other slightly off key.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
Wonder if the harmonizer has pitch correction for the voice coming from the mic. It matches the harmony voice to correct pitch detected from the guitar but what is the singer is off key. How does that sound, one voice on key, the other slightly off key.

Good question. The TC Helicon will pitch correct the main voice and blend with the harmony voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 AM

I didn't have pitch correct on the first harmonizer I had. You had to have your guitar in tune and you had to be on pitch or it sounded bad. However, it helped me to improve my vocals.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Did I hear the presenter correctly, "You are hearing the amp through the DI outputs"?

Does that mean I'm hearing just the preamp and effects of the Boss unit through a different mixer/PA speakers, direct to a DAW or something and not hearing the Boss' speakers?
Old 02-15-2017, 03:09 AM

Yes, I think you heard correctly. However there appears to be a mic in front but not sure why. Hard to find a video on this with a mic to hear the amp sound direct. However I did find a good one.

https://youtu.be/0_gDc76BX6w
Old 02-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

i am curious too. it seems like it has potential to be terrific. but the problem with namm is it seems like all of these companies are coming more and more unprepared. limited demo's and no hands on for users is making me nervous of trying their product. as seen with the headrush multi-effects electric guitar pedal i have my eyes one. $1000 and seems to be more user intuitive than the line 6 helix. im all for companies taking on the "big dogs" of the industry.
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 02-15-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I didn't have pitch correct on the first harmonizer I had. You had to have your guitar in tune and you had to be on pitch or it sounded bad. However, it helped me to improve my vocals.
Songs always seem to sound better when your gitar is in tune. If the singer is naturally flat they probably shouldn't be singing with or without a harmonizer pedal. Being out of tune and slightly off key hasn't stopped a lot of singers, myself included

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification