The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, no.

I'm in the aesthetics/ergonomic camp: it needs to look and feel great (both understated for me).

More to the point, I'm moving on right now from a guitar I otherwise like a *lot* because an interaction with the company has soured/dimmed/pick your verb the relationship with the instrument.

If it's a third or fourth (or thirtyfourth) guitar, then maybe it's different. If it's the only, it kind of needs to be right.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

A goofy/ugly headstock could probably be sufficiently off-putting for me.

Superficial? Perhaps, but fortunately, my guitars are well set-up and strung with what I prefer, delivering optimum tone and playability (for me).

Thus, a guitar with some bizarre/garish feature would have to be distinctly superior to what I'm already playing in order for me to buy it. Haven't found it yet.

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-11-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:46 PM

Maybe run the headstock through a bandsaw for a little reshape?

BluesKing777.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:48 PM

Two of my guitars have headstock, which seem to fall in the camp that cause visceral reactions from some (a lot of?) folks. If you don't like the headstock, don't buy the guitar. Yeah, after the honeymoon (as one person said), the guitar's going to sit in its case or the corner and not get played.

Headstock aesthetics aside, I really agree with @Aspiring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
For me it would depend on why I don't like the brand.

I have a few companies out in the world that I have had experience with that crossed a line and I won't ever do business with them again as they have a practice that I don't agree with. In that case I wouldn't buy it. If I don't like the brand because of their advertising or past experience with not being to my taste then I'd consider the instrument on its own merits.
If I didn't like a brand due to the reasons above, I wouldn't put myself in such a conundrum and even pick it up in the first place. As a consumer, buying a product where you disagree with a company's business practice sends a wrong message.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 03-11-2024, 06:54 PM

Nope. Too many great guitars and great makers out there. No need to compromise.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:19 PM

Default Ugly headstock

Is it something like a RK.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:22 PM

This is a common complaint I hear/read in the electric guitar forums. Specifically, when it comes to Fender-vs.-G&L. For those not familiar, after Leo Fender sold his company to CBS, he and George Fullerton (and Dale Hyatt, who no one remembers) began the new company, which ultimately took its name from their first initials.

G&L Guitars make what many people call "Leo's last and best guitars." But despite surpassing the traditional Fender electrics in many ways, a lot of people just can't get past the headstock, which has a little "horn" poking out opposite the tuners. So, even though you can get an arguably better guitar, for less (or at least equal price), some people just can't get over the headstock.

I have two G&L guitars. One is an "S" (Stratocaster) type and the other a "T" (Telecaster type). I don't often play the S type, but in my hands, the T type stands head and shoulders above those that are branded Fender. And I never look at the headstock when I'm playing, so I can deal with it.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:46 PM

The moral of the story, when you don't like the looks of a guitar you don't play it, that way you are guaranteed not to be torn between buying it and not buying it. I don't like the overly pronounced runout and when I see it I don't play it for fear of liking the sound and playability.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

If you don't like or love it now you will sell it soon!
Old 03-11-2024, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

IMI...don't do it. It's been my experience that turn offs like that don't usually go away. You can love the guitar's tone etc. but those won't make what turns you off ever disappear and eventually, most likely, you'll end up getting rid of it.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
A guitar has to be extremely and uniquely stellar in tone for me to be able to look past physical ugliness. Based on your description of how this one made you feel it may well be one of those special gotta-have-it guitars. So if you pass on it are you going to have serious regrets longer than it will take you to get used to the headstock? Only you can answer that.

THIS^^^is a terrific and wise answer from The Rev!

It seems you dislike this guitar brand mostly for superficial reasons, which are still very important nonetheless...but...perhaps the tone and playability of this guitar, and the music it could make with you, could, per chance, give you the ability to re-evaluate how you feel about this brand of guitars.

Certainly worth some serious thought, and another play date with the guitar to see if you still feel the same way about it.

If you do still feel the same, you have an interesting decision to make!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-11-2024, 07:53 PM

There are a few brands I would never consider so would never play them in the first place. That isn't to say I might not be pleasantly surprised but why even bother when there's such a choice in the first place?
Old 03-11-2024, 08:43 PM

Plenty of fish in the sea. Lots of clams, too.

Wait until you find a guitar that you love in every way.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:01 PM

Default Would you buy a guitar you love from a brand you don’t?

Although I'd have a nice Big Band-era L-5 or Super 400 in a heartbeat, I never really cared for Gibson flattops - couldn't understand all the fuss about the Hummingbird, always felt the J-45 was overhyped, and IME the Westerly-era Guild F-50R delivered by the truckload everything the J-200 couldn't...

That said, I never played a J-15 that I didn't like (and a couple that I absolutely loved - and should have bought...), I could easily see myself having an AJ as a one-and-only stage guitar - and I still miss the Gordon Lightfoot-approved sunburst B45-12 "Sundown" I bought myself as a college graduation present, and traded on a first-run late-CBS '52 Tele reissue when they first came out in '82...
Old 03-11-2024, 11:01 PM

I thought the OP might be talking about a PRS or D'Angelico, but that Dean headstock sure is one of a kind.

I bought an Anderson electric a couple of years ago. To me the headstock looks like someone sticking their toe into a sock. I don't like it, and I don't love the finish, but wow I love to play that guitar. I sold my other two electrics since they were just sitting in their cases.

I still wish the guitar looked better, but I'm very glad I bought it anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion