The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-01-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Maybe recap the rules so each and everyone (plus the non-native speakers) can decide for themselves if they needed the refresher?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

Fewer means “not as many.” We use fewer with countable nouns like cookies. Cookie Monster was told to eat fewer cookies. Less means “not as much.” We use less with uncountable nouns like milk.
"I'm drinking less milk these days."
"I'm drinking fewer glasses of milk these days"
Old 03-01-2024, 04:28 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

No one mentioned 'farther' and 'further'?

C'mon, people!
Old 03-01-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
My grammatical pet peeve is the phrase "should of" as in "I should of gone to school and learned to read">

People honestly don't know that should've is a contraction of "should have" and is pronounced in a way that the ignorati think the phrase is "should of"
Must be "of" is spelled differently than it sounds, like h - a - v - e.

I love it that so many here care about grammar and talking correctly so one is clearly understood by all. In daily usage, it seems like virtually no one thinks of this or cares. Text messages, for instance, are often on another planet. So we still have some hope for our language.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 03-01-2024 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The way I learned it was to use less when dealing with something that you can't count and use fewer when dealing with something than can be counted.

Less weight and fewer pounds
Less time and fewer minutes
Less money and fewer dollars
Lines in stores usually have it wrong but it should be "Fewer than 10 items" not "Less than 10 items."

Fewer means “not as many.” We use fewer with countable nouns like cookies. Cookie Monster was told to eat fewer cookies. Less means “not as much.” We use less with uncountable nouns like milk.
Exactly! Thank you.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

What is "is"?

Hehehe. Crack myself up
Old 03-02-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Text messages, for instance, are often on another planet.
I already touched on that subject: I think this is largely related to how you (had to) enter them. First with a phone keyboard, now with auto-everything on supposedly smart devices.

Long ago I visited a lab where people had weird name tags on their doors. Turns out they had run every name through the wordprocessor du jour and let it fix all issues it saw

Quote:
Lines in stores usually have it wrong but it should be "Fewer than 10 items" not "Less than 10 items."
Yup, also as I remember it. It gets ambiguous though in things like "the lesser quantity" or in mathematical speak ("if X < 10" ; mathematicians are usually the ones who're very strict about the use of language)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-02-2024, 08:31 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Yup, also as I remember it. It gets ambiguous though in things like "the lesser quantity" or in mathematical speak ("if X < 10" ; mathematicians are usually the ones who're very strict about the use of language)
In the mathematical context 'less' is correct as it is a value comparison that does not have to be integer (whole number). In the example 'X < 10', X could equal 2.759, in which case it is 'less than' 10, not 'fewer than' 10.

In other words, the values are not necessarily always countable even when it looks like they are.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
In other words, the values are not necessarily always countable even when it looks like they are.
Hmmm, X could be integer, and mathematically speaking it's perfectly possible to count to 2.759 or any other rational number

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 03-02-2024, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
In the mathematical context 'less' is correct as it is a value comparison that does not have to be integer (whole number). In the example 'X < 10', X could equal 2.759, in which case it is 'less than' 10, not 'fewer than' 10.

Quote:
Hmmm, X could be integer, and mathematically speaking it's perfectly possible to count to 2.759 or any other rational number
I understand TheGITM's point. Yes, you can count to 2.759, but in this algebraic expression 2.759 is a constant, not a variable despite the solution set to X<2.759 being countable...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-02-2024, 11:53 AM

I'd rather just accept that mathematics has it's own grammatical definitions and semantics. The mathematic "if" isn't the same as the one used outside of mathematics and a few related disciplines (I think even physics would use "iff" to be certain the intention comes across).

Old 03-02-2024, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd rather just accept that mathematics has it's own grammatical definitions and semantics. The mathematic "if" isn't the same as the one used outside of mathematics and a few related disciplines (I think even physics would use "iff" to be certain the intention comes across).
You're right. An algebraic function is very different from other uses of the word such as a party or gathering and operate correctly...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-02-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Go to a small shop or cafe in the west country of England and make a purchase from a female waitress and she might well say, "You're welcome my lover!"...
You mean, she wasn't serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
The "No problem" response irritates me as it connotes that the server was doing me a favor. I'm patronizing that business and paying money for their product (in this case, food), and I'm thanking the server for his/her service and giving the server a nice tip to demonstrate my appreciation. The correct response would be either, "It was a pleasure to serve you" or "Thank you for dining with us" or some combination of the two.
Or, similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Here's a current grammatical phrase that drives me nuts. When referring to something that needs to be repaired, they will say or write, "It needs fixed." The correct grammar would be "It needs to be fixed."

I know, I know. It doesn't amount to a warm bucket of spit, but it makes me crazy. I'm just wondering if it bothers anyone else.
Dropped words like that drives me nuts, too.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:24 AM

I hate when people say “I” when they should have said “Me”.
For example, “Take a picture of XXX and I.”
I overlook it when Merle Haggard said it in “Just like in the movies” or whatever that great song is called.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

So is "Me and Bobby McGee" an example of everyday poor grammar? Or is it a textbook example of "pseudo-ignorant malingering" (Tom Wolfe coined that term) to play up the dirtiness of that red bandana wrapped around the harpoon?

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-03-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
So is "Me and Bobby McGee" an example of everyday poor grammar? Or is it a textbook example of "pseudo-ignorant malingering"
You'd have to go back to when it was written and find a justification why it wouldn't be an example of poetic liberty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic