The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-12-2017, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

At the risk of offense: I really would have expected you folks to mostly have a better grip on my priorities by now. While I make every attempt to achieve acceptable symmetry, this is not high on my list. That said, I simply do not see the issue here on this specific instrument, and I do on some others. In any case there is nothing to be done about it but find acceptance. If there were something to be done, I can't picture myself doing it. The me, this guitar is utterly charming, so far, and at the risk of being taken for a Buddhist, it is perfect as it is.

For those seeking the illusion mathematical perfection, I am probably not your man, and I heartily recommend you find a jig and fixture builder who ideally has a CNC machine or two. I am way more about expanding the possibility of the guitar than I am about honing the perfection of the "product". I believe that extreme visual perfection require the acceptance of several fatal flaws, making the entire notion an oxymoron.

That said, I have spent my entire working life improving my execution, and believe I am still gaining ground. It fact, that is the point!!!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

No offense here...Just do what you do Bruce...that's what makes us all unique! The guitar is beautiful...

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 11-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I for one prefer the "unique" aspects of a hand made instrument.
that's where the beauty/evidence of the artist is found

The fixtured, cnc rendered instruments seem sterile.

I had the opportunity to play Bruce's Pernambuco guitar that was made with the headstock and fingerboard inlay spelling out Sexauer, after he changed the fingerboard at the buyers request,
The guitar was at LA Guitar Sales for a time.

There, I was able to sit back and really soak in the beauty of it's tone, the execution of the build (what many call fit & finish) was absolutely beautiful.

If only I wasn't so guitar rich and cash poor at the time, it would have been mine in a heartbeat.

Bruce, you certainly don't need my endorsement, nobody knows me from
Adam, but I have been blessed to hold many fine guitars, and yours
was certainly one of the finest I've ever held

p.s. I've no doubt that nobody really worries about whether Stradivari's violins are symmetrical
Old 11-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Bruce, if you are still making guitars when I can afford to engage you, I would welcome such small signs of a guitar lovingly crafted by hand. This looks like it will be an amazing guitar.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Bruce, if you are still making guitars when I can afford to engage you, I would welcome such small signs of a guitar lovingly crafted by hand. This looks like it will be an amazing guitar.

I know what you kind folks can only guess at, for I have tapped on the completed box and listened its "drum" voice. I have long ago learned it is safe to jump to conclusions at this stage, and the news is GOOD. So far . . .

Thanks so much for your support.

Jamie, I am a bit surprised you have not yet visited given your proximity. Don't make me invite you twice!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

No offense intended on my end, Bruce. I was simply remarking that it seemed slightly asymmetrical--I actually thought it was kind of cool and definitely makes it unique. The shape is awesome, and I know the sound will be magical!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Smile I LOVE this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
At the risk of offense: I really would have expected you folks to mostly have a better grip on my priorities by now. While I make every attempt to achieve acceptable symmetry, this is not high on my list. That said, I simply do not see the issue here on this specific instrument, and I do on some others. In any case there is nothing to be done about it but find acceptance. If there were something to be done, I can't picture myself doing it. The me, this guitar is utterly charming, so far, and at the risk of being taken for a Buddhist, it is perfect as it is.

For those seeking the illusion mathematical perfection, I am probably not your man, and I heartily recommend you find a jig and fixture builder who ideally has a CNC machine or two. I am way more about expanding the possibility of the guitar than I am about honing the perfection of the "product". I believe that extreme visual perfection require the acceptance of several fatal flaws, making the entire notion an oxymoron.

That said, I have spent my entire working life improving my execution, and believe I am still gaining ground. It fact, that is the point!!!

What Bruce said, for sure. Visual "perfection" is a bit like digital music... all well and good, but where is the mark of the maker?

Just sayin, here. And, we all know the sound will be off the charts!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

I made custom knives for many years. No forms.... all done by eye and calipers. Honestly, it is very similar to making a clay pot. You are shaping material using your hands and powerful belt grinders.
My mentor, who by many is considered one of the very greatest knife makers in the world- told me this one day;
" I tell those who are looking for absolute perfection to go buy a CNC factory made knife"
I Always got a giggle out of that.
For those who do not understand...there are so many +'s to handmade products. With knife making...you could temper the blade to a higher rockwell which meant it would hold its edge longer. You could individually fit it to different hand sizes. With Custom guitars can voice the instrument according to the top, the back and side woods..and even custom brace the guitar.
In custom guitars...the Perfection is in the Sound, the playability, the feel...and the art of the guitar.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 PM

I saved the picture to compare to when I finally get to making a some more bodies. I think it will become a classic like Bruce's normal cutaway. I really like it.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Having just seen this body in the white, if there is any assymmetry or imperfection in it, I would put that as the same type of assymmetry or imperfection one sees in most fine art - a great example, the Mona Lisa. I, however, cannot see it. Now, I am not gonna put Bruce in the same league as Leonardo, but he is definitely a couple steps above your average master craftsman, and the subtleties and nuances that make his instruments outstanding are not easily identifiable in pictures or sound-clips, just as the best photographs cannot do justice to the canvases of the great painters -
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

A Gaboon Ebony fingerboard was shaped, bound and slotted for a 1-3/4” nut width to 2-1/4” string spacing with a 25.4” scale (left). It was then glued to the one-piece Honduran Mahogany neck blank (right).

Old 11-14-2017, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

The one-piece Honduran Mahogany neck has now been rough carved from the blank and placed into the dovetail joint to look at the guitar as a unit. The final shaping and fitting will occur tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes and hands. Bruce decide to slightly elongate his snake head headstock given the proportions of this guitar.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 AM

That is so gorgeous. So Sexauer! Can't wait to see this one under finish.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

A few details sanded with 80-grit...

Old 11-14-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
That is so gorgeous. So Sexauer! Can't wait to see this one under finish.
I can wait. Sometimes seeing the raw wood like this just captures me. This one certainly does.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop