The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-20-2024, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Slightly more detailed transient response on the small diameter mikes but pretty similar sound overall on this particular piece and recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-20-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I hear a difference in the transient response & top end...but this is also a good test of your playback system. For those not hearing a difference, it's not because it's not there You may need to evaluate your playback system.

On a side note - one of the reason i find these types of comparisons worthless is that, unless we're all sitting together listening on the same playback system, there is no way to account for the potentially huge difference in playback system quality.
Good point.

On the other hand, most people listen to music these days on earbuds, headphones and relatively cheap speaker systems (and they always have) where details and differences in transient and high end frequency response are not reproduced. NS10s, which were used for decades by top recording and mixing engineers were not at all in the same ball park as high end monitors these days.

I'm not trying to argue that using good quality mics, mic pres and monitors are irrelevant. I just believe that for people who are relatively new to this stuff, it's more important to stress the need for room treatment, for example, and other factors (in the case of ac. guitars, picks, strings, the player's skill and the guitar itself) that can more significantly affect the quality of a recording. I've heard some horribly played stuff where people are talking about what mic might best be used. It's a matter of perspective, I suppose.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:12 PM

I can totally hear a difference. There is more bass in the large diaphragm recording, for sure. The 2 SE8s sound much crisper, less bassy. More detail on the SE8s.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 02-20-2024, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

On my studio system HP and speakers

First what I hear is a slight difference in levels the SDC are just a tad louder and that can sometimes skew the A/B a bit

Beyond that it is close enough that either works

I do however think overall the SDC are a bit sharper sounding and the LDC a bit mellower . Now call it what you will, more detail or more balanced, crisper or lush ----either sound works pretty well .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-20-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Good point.

On the other hand, most people listen to music these days on earbuds, headphones and relatively cheap speaker systems (and they always have) where details and differences in transient and high end frequency response are not reproduced. NS10s, which were used for decades by top recording and mixing engineers were not at all in the same ball park as high end monitors these days.

I'm not trying to argue that using good quality mics, mic pres and monitors are irrelevant. I just believe that for people who are relatively new to this stuff, it's more important to stress the need for room treatment, for example, and other factors (in the case of ac. guitars, picks, strings, the player's skill and the guitar itself) that can more significantly affect the quality of a recording. I've heard some horribly played stuff where people are talking about what mic might best be used. It's a matter of perspective, I suppose.

The room & its response is a huge part of any playback system, so we agree there. Though, I’ve seen (& heard) people really mess up a room with too much (or the wrong) treatment.

And just a note on the NS10s (which I used extensively in the ‘90s). They were typically secondary monitors used to check playback translation. Everyone i know who used them also had much better speakers they primarily used, checking on the NS10s briefly throughout the mix process. The myth of their usefulness seems to grow as time moves on. I know several engineers who refuse to use them at all (guys with credentials we’d all recognize). In fact, a friend of mine told me he’d make the assistant physically unplug them when he saw them in any studio so he didn’t accidentally have to hear them. [emoji1787]

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-20-2024, 09:58 PM

I like the sound of the SE8s better on this particular example. More air and a little more open sounding. It's not a knock me over difference, but it's certainly readily apparent when listening for a difference with my system.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 02-21-2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post

...And just a note on the NS10s...
Yeah, I never got why anyone would use them. They were horrible, although evidently useful for some.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD