The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-02-2024, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Default publisher's 2024 choice for recording "file"?

recent publisher mentioned Songspace and Disco as the way they prefer to receive a recording.....also said they don't accept MP3.....I have a Zoom recorder (WAV and MP3).....looking for suggestions of "current" ways to get my recordings to a publisher.....or at least, have them ready "if" a publisher asks...
thanks in advance.....
Old 02-02-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
recent publisher mentioned Songspace and Disco as the way they prefer to receive a recording.....also said they don't accept MP3.....I have a Zoom recorder (WAV and MP3).....looking for suggestions of "current" ways to get my recordings to a publisher.....or at least, have them ready "if" a publisher asks...
thanks in advance.....
What is a "publisher"?
Old 02-02-2024, 06:24 PM

A 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz stereo interleaved WAV is probably fine for your publisher.

Couch Standards

Last edited by egordon99; 02-04-2024 at 09:23 AM. Reason: No longer needed
Old 02-02-2024, 07:22 PM

I'd never heard of 'songspace'. One thing's for certain...there's alot of creative people on this planet, but always astounds me that there's always more people who try to take advantage. Exactly how many 'middlemen' do you think they can shove into that space between me & mine? I'll wait on that solar flare to set everything straight.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 02-02-2024, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
thanks in advance.....
Like Rudy, I'm not sure what you mean by "publisher" here either. And I am a songwriter. I'm familiar with platforms that help you distribute your music, like CD Baby or Distrokid.

I looked up those platforms, and they seem to be something else. They are music sharing sites that are targeted towards professionals. They also cost money to sign up.

I think in this case, you need to contact this publisher directly and ask them if there is another way aside from paid sites like this. I can understand not wanting MP3s, as they are compressed and "lossy" (you literally remove information from the waveform). Like Brent says, they probably just need a lossless format, like WAV or FLAC. But you'll have to ask them.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

I've never had to submit a file without there being some explanation of what files they accept. If you can't find it on the side, post a link and maybe we can help. If it's an individual, then it's sketchy that they wouldn't explain this to you.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Like Rudy, I'm not sure what you mean by "publisher" here either. And I am a songwriter. I'm familiar with platforms that help you distribute your music, like CD Baby or Distrokid.
I looked up those platforms, and they seem to be something else. They are music sharing sites that are targeted towards professionals. They also cost money to sign up.
CD Baby and Distrokid are as you note Distribution platforms for on line distribution .Where you submit self published air play ready music

I believe the OP is talking about the traditional old school style (before the internet) Music Publisher . Which is still done in the major music production locations (like LA , NYC, and especially Nashville) and likely a few other places .
Where a songwriter can submit demos of their original songs to try to get a Publishing Deal where for 1/2 of the total copyrights (the publishing 1/2) , the publisher if they really like you originals may forward a stipend to the songwriter and agrees to promote your work directly to artists and or labels to hopefully get it cut on an upcoming album or single project, and or to also get in front of the music directors for film or TV

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-05-2024, 08:51 PM

The publishers I work with are all fine with Dropbox links of WAV files.

Be sure to ask what metadata they want. Most use that to help pitch the song.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD