The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 05:48 PM

The cheapest and easiest way to change your tone is by changing your pick.

That said, I always use the exact same picks for everything. I've found the one I'm most comfortable with and it's all I use. I just can't be bothered to be changing picks mid set. I can vary the tone all I want by moving where I hit the strings.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:25 PM

In Silly Moustache's demo clip, there's very little difference. The picks are too similar, differing only in thickness. But if you tested different brands, with differing materials and bevel cuts, you'd find a much larger difference.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 02-14-2024, 09:48 PM

Oh yes! Being nutty about picks, and also using different picking points and attacks too.

On acoustic guitar I'll use different pick point shapes and materials as well as different thickness.

On electric I'm not nearly as picky, but then there are real tone knobs and effects boxes, and so on.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-15-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
That said, I always use the exact same picks for everything. I've found the one I'm most comfortable with and it's all I use. I just can't be bothered to be changing picks mid set. I can vary the tone all I want by moving where I hit the strings.
+1.

I use only one gauge pick (.77) and one shape (teardrop) but I'll play with angle, location and rotation (point vs shoulder) to get the tone I desire.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-15-2024, 08:51 PM

I use different pick thicknesses and materials to get different tones. I will even pick or strum near the bridge to over the fret board.

I also will change the grip tension on the pick. Hold the pick loosely to be quit. Tighten your grip you are louder. A real easy way to add some dynamics to your playing.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-15-2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson1990 View Post
Hey guys, just got a J45 and I never had a guitar that changed tone so differently with pick thickness.

Basically a .50 pick is like tone knob at 10

.60 is like 9

.70 is like 8

.80 is like 7

I actually settled on liking the .70 but I’ve never had a guitar that changed so much tone based on a pick. Is is maybe because the J45 having a pronounced upper mids, means the pick has a big impact on its sound?

I’d love to hear if others have had this experience with other guitars
Pick choice certainly affects sound. I've never noticed that it's more pronounced with Gibsons, but maybe you're on to something.

A .70 is light. You might try, say, a 1.5, and see what that does.

And casein plastic picks are all the rage these days. They say they're ultra-fast. You might want to invest in one of those and see what it does.

Mandolins are highly sensitive to pick thickness, shape, and material. So mando players are fanatics about picks. Many will pay over $50 for one.

I like fingerpicks. I vary the tone in two ways:

- Picking closer to the bridge for more treble and closer to the neck for more bass.

- Playing on higher strings for more treble and lower strings for more bass. The same riff played on lower or higher strings will sound vastly different.

Keep on pluckin'!

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-16-2024 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:53 AM

Here's a rabbit hole: even if you don't like Fender Celluloid Mediums (or Heavys, pick one) buy a pack of tortoise, a couple different solid colors, and Clown Vomit if they have it. Compare tone, feel and "bendiness."

Couch Standards
Old 02-16-2024, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleye View Post
Between the angle of the pick as it hits the strings, pick location relative to the bridge and palm muting one can change tone across quite a spectrum.
Pretty much what I do

Half inch from bridge is my Tele sound, go all the way (rarely) to where neck meets body

Not a strummer, kind of use bluegrass based flatpick technique with minimum 1.5 pick but don't play bluegrass
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass
Old 02-16-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson1990 View Post
Yeah I guess having different picks for different songs makes no sense . . . .
. . . unless you play mandolin!
Old 02-16-2024, 05:56 AM

PS -

And it just occurred to me that since I fingerpick, the choice of whether to put them on or play bare makes a huge sound difference — on any guitar.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

I use a pick as a ball marker.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I went through all that trying-different-picks business last century. Settled on the kind I like best and learned how to use it.

Whether a pick costs 40¢ or $40, I find there's quite a span of open string to use between the 12th fret and the bridge, not to mention dozens of ways to hold a pick while alternating between countless methods of attack. Huge variances therein without swapping one pick for another.

Said another way, Danny Boy and Rock n' Roll Hoochie Koo are played differently - no matter what one uses for a pick.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

After playing guitar for 40+ years and never giving my picks a second thought, I recently had a pick epiphany. I wasn't getting the tone I expected from the Yamaha FG5 I acquired. After experimenting with 3 sets of different strings, I happened to try different thickness
Picks and BAM! I'm startled at how different my tone is with a 1.2mm vs 0.6mm or 0.73mm (I'd always used 0.5 or 0.6mm). So, yes, picks are amazing tone controls!

Last edited by nspeer; 02-16-2024 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeer View Post
After playing guitar for 40+ years and never giving my picks a second thought, I recently had a pick epiphany. I wasn't getting the tone I expected from the Yamaha FG5 I acquired. After experimenting with 3 sets of different strings, I happened to try different thickness
Picks and BAM! I'm startled at how different my tone is with a 1.2mm vs 0.6mm or 0.73mm (I'd always used 0.5 or 0.6mm). So, yes, picks are amazing tone controls!
\\

1.2 mm is pretty much my sweet spot. If all that were available were .5 or .6, I'd be doing finger style exclusively.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeer View Post
1.2 mm is pretty much my sweet spot. If all that were available were .5 or .6, I'd be doing finger style exclusively.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion