The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2022, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Loved Titaniums on two guitars and use them exclusively on a Martin 000-ECHF, that has/had a much "dominant" open G. I'd have moved this 000 out a few years ago; but it was a birthday present, Ltd Ed, black lacquer, hand signed by Clapton, yada yada...; so wanted to keep it. For some reason Titaniums "tame" that G and -again- sound great overall. I get 18+ months playing them 2-3 hrs a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
Hey can you talk more about how easy they are to put on? Thought I read somewhere they broke easy. And I have a slotted headstock.
Yes, I broke the G string the first time using, ironically, the Martin "cross-back" locking method. It broke exactly at the sharp bend-back of the "lock". (Martin sent me a free replacement). It was the last time I used the locking method on any guitar. I didn't try Titaniums on the slot head I have due to the rd. core issue of no pre-cutting... though recently I successfully re-strung w/Mangan* Rd Core Nickels on the slot head by doing a hard "crimp" with a needle nose just below where I pre-cut them. In theory it prevents the wound from loosening.

*BTW...IMHO Mangan Round Core Nickel are close tone-wise to Titaniums and a lot cheaper...they just don't last nearly as long.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

I was a beta tester years ago. And I bought a few sets as well. Some early sets broke on me during gigs. I have adjusted in that if I am gigging where it’s loud and I have to dig in, I use a different guitar.

I have them now on a Taylor AD17 and a Martin D18. They last forever. They feel great… smooth and slinky. They are less bright than PBs or 80/20s. I would never have them as my sole string choice because I like mixing the tone up.

They are great strings, albeit pricey. I appreciate their sound, and like their feel and tone better than Retros. They are certainly worth a shot from anyone I believe. Their longevity does offset cost.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Had a set on a Taylor GT K21e for 7 months. Strings were still going strong but I was bored. Put on a set of D’Addario XS. Different sounds but very happy with both. Another set of Titaniums is ready to go.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:02 AM

Just installed a set last night on my D-45. I used the Martin Lock method successfully (though I did have the A string go "TWANG!!!" - I think the ball end was initially stuck on the bridge pin- ugh!)

Last edited by jmjohnson; 04-13-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:04 PM

Didn’t someone say somewhere that the top 2 or 3 are regular steel?
Old 04-15-2022, 05:46 PM

The plains are stainless - LOOK like they have a gold tint so
MAYBE plated but haven’t seen that description.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:09 AM

If you like “zing”, they ain’t your thing.”

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-16-2022, 06:56 AM

Not sure why, but I like the Tis much better the next day then when 1st installed. Last night they were sound really good…more shimmer or something.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
The plains are stainless - LOOK like they have a gold tint so
MAYBE plated but haven’t seen that description.

So don’t they die sooner than the Ti ones?
Old 04-17-2022, 07:23 AM

Saw they’re cryogenically treated - so probably not. Generally for me, plain strings are good to go after the wound…I always liked Martin cause they usually treat their plains besides.

I ordered another set.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I was a beta tester as well. I used them once, had them on my guitar for over 6 months. I still have an unopened pack in my strings box.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
If you like “zing”, they ain’t your thing.”
Amen! Tried two sets, one on a Martin M-36 and the other on my D-35 Seth Avett. I'm a finger style player primarily and I don't use fingernails, finger picks or a thumb pick, only the flesh of the finger tips so I need all the zing I can get!
Old 04-17-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Amen! Tried two sets, one on a Martin M-36 and the other on my D-35 Seth Avett. I'm a finger style player primarily and I don't use fingernails, finger picks or a thumb pick, only the flesh of the finger tips so I need all the zing I can get!
Nice! I play the same way, and I really like John Pearse, and for coated ones, the XS. But, always looking for better sets. Which ones work well for you?
Old 04-18-2022, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I'm a finger style player primarily and I don't use fingernails, finger picks or a thumb pick, only the flesh of the finger tips so I need all the zing I can get!
Me too, but despite that I find steel strings too jingly and zingy if there is no nylon or silk entering into their composition somewhere (now using nylon tape-wounds because of that, and putting up with their intonation quirks).

I'm guessing that plain titanium strings would be both too brittle and need to be a lot thicker than strings made from the heavier steel. The formula to calculate the required gauge is floating around so it should be easy enough to figure out if the thickness difference would require changing the nut slots.

FWIW, Ernie Ball use a different steel alloy (maraging steel) in certain of their sets, but again also in the wound strings. I never understood that either.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion