The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 06:52 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuv View Post

Consequently, I'm looking for some strings that will retain (or possibly enhance) the bass response of the E20, while toning down some of that fundamental, Adi brightness in the upper register.
Bluegrass set, light trebles, medium wounds. D'Addario Nickel Bronze light/mediums or D'Aaddrio EJ19. Both are 12 16 25 35 45 56. Also John Pearse offers something similar, which I have on my hog dread, but the G string is 24. I play finger style DADGAD with these.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-11-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Bluegrass set, light trebles, medium wounds. D'Addario Nickel Bronze light/mediums or D'Aaddrio EJ19. Both are 12 16 25 35 45 56. Also John Pearse offers something similar, which I have on my hog dread, but the G string is 24. I play finger style DADGAD with these.
Thanks, Barry! My only issue with the bluegrass sets is that, while I agree that the heavier wounds offer a heavier tone compared to the treble strings, it leaves me feeling that the trebles strings sound thin and "plinky." As I wade into the always ambiguous realm of describing sound, to me it is the difference between brightness and tonal girth. I'm trying to achieve less overall sonic "sheen" (I know, this is getting ridiculous), and more warmth while retaining the overall body of the notes. Not sure if that makes any sense...

EDIT: By the way, dig the "Star of the County Down" clip!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Thanks for the kind words.
The best anyone can do here on the forum is to try and share their experiences and knowledge.
Since my knowledge is limited, I try to share my experiences.
Well, your experiences are much appreciated!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I'm truly amazed that Martin would release these in only one size. I use Mediums on most of my guitars.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 AM

I play a Martin D15M but they have essentially priced me out of this particular set. Imagine paying that much for a set and then go ehhh.... not for me. Hopefully there will be a lot of real reviews with similar guitars as to form an informed opinion..
Old 08-17-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngzcaz View Post
I play a Martin D15M but they have essentially priced me out of this particular set. Imagine paying that much for a set and then go ehhh.... not for me. Hopefully there will be a lot of real reviews with similar guitars as to form an informed opinion..
I've had that happen with $8.00 strings and off they came.
I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to have that happen with $40 strings.
On the other hand, you're never going to really know until you put them on one of your guitars. All the positive and/or negative comments in the world from others are just opinions.
I'm just glad I was a Beta-tester.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
On the other hand, you're never going to really know until you put them on one of your guitars. :
Exactly. So perhaps Martin would be interested in following a tried and true marketing technique and send free samples to a targeted audience?

And how, exactly, did you get to be a beta tester?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:20 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I wouldn't attempt to sell you on them at all, but I will buy another set of Titaniums for my Pono if these ever wear out.
I wouldn't pay $5000 for a guitar either and I can afford to.

Addendum: Allow me to re-phrase that statement:
The real or peceived value someone else may derive from a $5000 guitar is not within my stream of conciousness.
LOL........mine either
Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Exactly. So perhaps Martin would be interested in following a tried and true marketing technique and send free samples to a targeted audience?

I'm not exactly sure how I got a free set. I think it was because I was a member of the Martin Owner's Club at the time . . . or maybe because I registered a new guitar.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I filled out an online survey months ago that was brought to my attention by a friend who was a member of the "Martin Club."
Networking, I think they call it these days.
They already have their small sampling. It isn't always indicative of product acceptance but you can definitely get a "feel" for whether your product has a chance or not.

I also filled out a recent survey where Martin asked all of us Beta guys our opinions after using the strings for a couple of months or more. I gave them mine on everything including the price point in which I informed them that I felt it was quite steep. Hey, they asked.
I read Martin has sold their own initial inventory through the members club.
That doesn't surprise me as that would consist of the Martin enthusiasts.
Obviously,the real test is how they will sell from the dealer network.
Having been in business, selling expendable goods and with a fixed customer base, the real final test is steady growth of sales and repeat purchases. Martin won't have sufficient data that for at least a year, even if initial sales are brisk.
I suspect they may offer some incentives if things go slowly but you never know. Once you go down that path, the psychological effect on the prospective customer or market can connotate negative acceptance. Then, you really have a problem.
It rarely worked when we had to do it, people aren't that easily fooled.
The product either lives up to the price including features and benefits or it doesn't.
In this instance "word of mouth" is their best friend; same with lots of stuff.
In any case, for me, a former Sales and Marketing Exec, this is going to be an interesting study in how Martin's Sales and Marketing team operates...if they have sales issues.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-17-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Guest4562

I see. I've listened to the sound samples on line, and I am aware that you really have to hear it in person . . . . however . . . . I did detect a distinct quality in the tone that I do remember from my ill-fated experimentation with a set of Rohrbachers a few years back. I could not get those things off my instrument fast enough. It may very well be that a live test on my current guitar would yield different results, however I'm not about to pay forty bucks to find out.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I see. I've listened to the sound samples on line, and I am aware that you really have to hear it in person . . . . however . . . . I did detect a distinct quality in the tone that I do remember from my ill-fated experimentation with a set of Rohrbachers a few years back. I could not get those things off my instrument fast enough. It may very well be that a live test on my current guitar would yield different results, however I'm not about to pay forty bucks to find out.
As you have had prior negative experience with Titaniums, I don't blame you.
I don't know beans about Rohrbachers so it's not possible to tell if what Martin has is the same or even similar.
leeW and I both have them and we both like them and he's not that easily impressed...especially at $40.

Oops...did I say that out loud.

Hi Lee...how ya' doin?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
It wasn't a rumor, it was the recommendation of an earlier titanium string manufacturer - Rohrbach. So, their caveat was that re-tuning would fatigue the strings and cause breakage. Something about how they are manufactured. I will probably just email Martin and pose the question to them.

Thanks.

Jayne
Just circling back - I have emailed Martin twice in the last month and have received no answer. So, I'm letting it go. I am happy with the strings I use so I probably wouldn't pay for these anyway. But I am still curious if Martin solved the issue that Rohrbacher had in terms of string breakage with altered tunings.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-17-2017, 09:06 AM

I may be in the minority, but I'd never buy these strings because I like the aging process of strings and enjoy the change in tone over the short life of a string. I enjoy the initial brightness, I enjoy the mellow middle, and I enjoy the woody dead end.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else not at least appreciate the life cycle of a string? I'll admit, yes, that too dead is too dead and not toneful, but I do appreciate the sound of my guitar at all stages of the life of my strings.

Not only that, but changing strings is like bonding time with my guitars. It's when they get their lemon oil on the neck, the dust cleaned off of the headstock and under the bridge end of the strings, and maybe even a polish or cleaning.

I guess I just enjoy string changes and the maintenance end of the deal...
Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I may be in the minority, but I'd never buy these strings because I like the aging process of strings and enjoy the change in tone over the short life of a string. I enjoy the initial brightness, I enjoy the mellow middle, and I enjoy the woody dead end.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else not at least appreciate the life cycle of a string? I'll admit, yes, that too dead is too dead and not toneful, but I do appreciate the sound of my guitar at all stages of the life of my strings.

Not only that, but changing strings is like bonding time with my guitars. It's when they get their lemon oil on the neck, the dust cleaned off of the headstock and under the bridge end of the strings, and maybe even a polish or cleaning.

I guess I just enjoy string changes and the maintenance end of the deal...

Same here and I'm with you on all of what you said.
It has been a struggle to leave these things on, but I promised Martin I would. Hey, they were free.
I'm not going to sit here and tell you they sound exactly the same as they did after 30 days or 60 days and now closing in on four months.
They still sound very good though and are dang near as shiny as the day I put 'em on. To each his own my friend, absolutely!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion