The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-19-2017, 10:49 PM

So we're all in agreement then, right?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
If I go into a guitar store and listen to people trying instruments, all I hear are licks, but nothing recognizable as a "real" song. To qualify that, original music that has solid melody and form, would certainly be just as recognizable in that sense, and different from a lick. If I go into a piano store, I hear people playing recognizable music when trying out instruments. There are skills that seem to be more common among players of most instruments except guitar. These include a repertoire of music, the ability to read standard notation, at least some functional knowledge of theory, etc.

The guitar seems to be more of a DIY instrument than many other instruments and many skip the real basics to get to the "good stuff". There are those who take the guitar seriously and know all these things that players of other instruments do, but with the possible exception of the electronic keyboard, most other instruments seem to have a fairly rigorous path to achieving the ability to play it, and little of the DIY aspect.

All that said, what these observations mean to me is that the guitar is both very easy to play and very difficult. Playing both piano and guitar, I personally feel that it is easier to play solo instrumental music and keep t interesting on the piano than it is on guitar. So, to me, playing this style is much more difficult to do well on the guitar. That is my area of interest, so that is what I am commenting on. There are all manner of other approaches to the guitar that are largely divided into playing rhythm and playing lead, and all manner of styles to explore.

To me, every instrument has techniques that are "easy" to perform and others that are "difficult". They all have their challenges, and the guitar is no exception. Those who truly master their art on the guitar are just as devoted to their instrument, as anyone who plays any other instrument, and that involves a lifetime of single-minded focus.

Tony
Great post. +1
Old 11-20-2017, 03:19 AM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Is acoustic guitar really a difficult instrument to make music on?

I said no because it's a matter of perspective. How many of us have tried to intonate a clarinet, play independent hands on a piano, or tried to play any of the stringed instruments that don't have frets and require the difficult vibrato technique????? In comparison, learning to strum a few chords is relatively easy.

I once knew the jazz band director at our local college. Here is his exact quote about the difficulty in assembling a college jazz band each year: "Guitarists are a dime a dozen. Finding someone who can play a clarinet on pitch is damed hard to do."
Old 11-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Totally depends...

I think it is very difficult to make good solo, instrumental music on the guitar. You can't just strum cowboy chords (even with good rhythm and timing) and entertain anybody for more than a minute. To entertain someone, the music must be much more complex - to include a bass line, a melody and some embellishments. Achieving that on a guitar takes a lot of practice and skill.

However, with the addition of (good) vocals - some basic cowboy chords and a decent strum pattern can totally yield excellent enjoyable music, and the guitar skills required to do this are not particularly difficult.

I say the same regarding electric guitars.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Really? The reason for the guitars popularity is the fact that it is easy to play music on them in a short amount of time and little to no knowledge. The electric guitar is easier to finger than an acoustic guitar ... Aspirations beyond making music in a basic manner is a different discussion.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM

I have never found the guitar to be more difficult, or easier, to play than any other instrument. Some instruments that are far outside of the norm like Sitar, Oboe, Bagpipes have a much longer learning curve. However, most reed, wind, brass, percussion, string instruments require years and practice to "play" them well. You can hammer out a tune on any instrument but it will always sound like you're new until you've put the time and dedication into learning the necessary techniques to be proficient. I've never met anyone who stated they took up guitar because it was easy.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Default Is acoustic guitar really a difficult instrument to make music on?

I think the acoustic guitar is a great instrument to make music on at any skill level. That’s why it’s so popular. You can strum a few chords and sing along and get everyone’s attention, or you can really wow them with adding percussive elements and virtuosity. That’s what sets the guitar apart from other instruments like the piano. Sure the piano has more range, but you’re limited to just “raw” notes, and the only expressive tools are the sustain pedals and touch. You can’t vibrato, you can’t bend notes, and you can’t bang on it to add percussion.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Sure the piano has more range, but.... you can’t bang on it to add percussion.
Tell Jerry Lee Lewis or Little Richard that....
Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 AM

I find it rare that outside of a performance situation anyone wants to hear me play, sing or do sing-a-longs. (Insert jokes here).
Guitar for me went from chords and strumming to a passion to learn and really play. I'm definitely better now than I was even a year ago and I'm still a hack.
It's all good.
In summation, guitar is easy unless you want to be really good at it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Tell Jerry Lee Lewis or Little Richard that....

Gonna have to look those guys up. [emoji4]
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
and you can’t bang on it to add percussion.
Actually, the piano is a percussion instrument and when not featured in a concerto setting, sits with the percussion instruments in a symphony.

I'll take musical instruments for a $1000, Alex.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
...acoustic guitar music will die off because it's a tough instrument to make music on.
I've never heard, read or seen that connection suggested, anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
This idea has been presented as self-evident in a number of threads....
My statement above challenges the idea of "self-evident"

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-20-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
In summation, guitar is easy unless you want to be really good at it.
I totally agree.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post
Actually, the piano is a percussion instrument and when not featured in a concerto setting, sits with the percussion instruments in a symphony.

Haha well I stand corrected again. [emoji23]
Old 11-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post

I recently had reason to look this up, and my readings indicated the piano is considered both or either stringed/percussion.

Do you know otherwise?

References?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic