The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The counter to that is that really good quality guitars are more affordable now that ever before. The availability of really good $300-500 guitars has skyrocketed.

So there are more good guitars cheaper now than ever.

Adjusting for inflation:

A $400 guitar in my day was junk 90% of the time
A $400 guitar today is a good guitar 90% of the time
This is true. It's amazing how good some of the "cheap" guitars are!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I see a lot of this too. Not sure what the seller is thinking.
I suspect they are thinking that craigslist ads are free, and some people may not know that they can get new guitars at well below minimum advertised prices, so why not try it?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 11-21-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I suspect they are thinking that craigslist ads are free, and some people may not know that they can get new guitars at well below minimum advertised prices, so why not try it?

It doesn't surprise me at all on Craigslist, but it's a little baffling why those out of line asking prices are so common here on AGF, where for the most part, folks are hip to our sponsor's prices...
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I've seen used guitars listed for the same as new MAP (at or less than 5% less).

Even mint that makes no sense when it's a current production model (and not some unique, no longer available model).
Old 11-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
It doesn't surprise me at all on Craigslist, but it's a little baffling why those out of line asking prices are so common here on AGF, where for the most part, folks are hip to our sponsor's prices...
I agree it is a bit strange but I suppose not really all that baffling. The fact that some people focus on what they want, and what they think it is worth, as opposed to what someone will actually pay, is a universal and knows no boundary of medium. And there is always the the notion of "I will sell if I can get this much and keep it if I can't .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I agree it is a bit strange but I suppose not really all that baffling. The fact that some people focus on what they want, and what they think it is worth, as opposed to what someone will actually pay, is a universal and knows no boundary of medium. And there is always the the notion of "I will sell if I can get this much and keep it if I can't .

I wasn't really saying I was confused about their motives, Kev...people can and will ask for "used at new prices" for anything they want to profit from...guitars, cars, motorcycles, etc...it's human nature and not unique to this forum...

My point was simply that to do so on a specialized forum where most people (including sellers) are aware of what that guitar, car or motorcycle can actually be bought for new, can be amusing at times...
Old 11-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wasn't really saying I was confused about their motives, Kev...people can and will ask for "used at new prices" for anything they want to profit from...guitars, cars, motorcycles, etc...it's human nature and not unique to this forum...

My point was simply that to do so on a specialized forum where most people (including sellers) are aware of what that guitar, car or motorcycle can actually be bought for new, can be amusing at times...
No I agree as you say particularly strange, here on the AGF and then also if one is not really aware of current prices (like me) the sponsors names are so available here that if I were thinking of another guitar it would be particularly easy to research here .....

I guess we agree it is

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
...My point was simply that to do so on a specialized forum where most people (including sellers) are aware of what that guitar, car or motorcycle can actually be bought for new, can be amusing at times...
Good point, but a few weeks ago in our Classifieds I offered a Taylor 214ce Koa Deluxe for what I thought was a reasonable price, compared to what that model was selling for new. No less than three fellow AGFers contacted me to let me know that I was asking too much because a less expensive, standard 214ce could be had for less. (Surprise!) I thanked them for their comments, and noted that the Koa model was more expensive. Whether it was worth the difference was up to them. I didn't hear back from them, but a different buyer was happy to pay my full asking price, and we were able to meet about half way between us so no shipping was involved.

What I'm saying is that yes, AGFers are generally well informed, but either they don't always read carefully or are not above trying a little sneakiness to get a buyer to lower the price.

cotten
Old 11-22-2017, 04:35 PM

A glut has a cause. It's precipitated by demand. That demand matures over a period of time and then trickles off. The supply side usually lags in response to lessening demand leaving a glut of product on the market. Then it becomes a buyer's market as the new old stock (glut) lingers in stores. Aggravating the sale of new old stock are people divesting themselves of their guitars at steep discounts. And, those used guitars are usually in pretty good condition making the used market much more attractive than the new old stock, transferable warranties notwithstanding.

That's usually the cause of a glut of anything and in this case I would not blame the younger set with their generation's technology rendering unto them their instant gratification doctrines. Their world view does not include hours of dedicated practice regimens to achieve skills sets for much outside of gaming. Learning to play acoustic guitar is a labor of love, not a conscripted rite of passage, so those who take it up distinguish themselves strictly as people with a singular interest that is normally embraced by very few people.

Last edited by Pitar; 11-22-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Good point, but a few weeks ago in our Classifieds I offered a Taylor 214ce Koa Deluxe for what I thought was a reasonable price, compared to what that model was selling for new. No less than three fellow AGFers contacted me to let me know that I was asking too much because a less expensive, standard 214ce could be had for less. (Surprise!) I thanked them for their comments, and noted that the Koa model was more expensive. Whether it was worth the difference was up to them. I didn't hear back from them, but a different buyer was happy to pay my full asking price, and we were able to meet about half way between us so no shipping was involved.

What I'm saying is that yes, AGFers are generally well informed, but either they don't always read carefully or are not above trying a little sneakiness to get a buyer to lower the price.

cotten

A good point too, cotten...I remember you having the guitar for sale for awhile, and I'm sure some folks aren't above trying to blur apples & oranges to try to get some free upgrades...

I've mentioned a few times that I've been in the market for a gently used Martin 000-18, and I won't pay the same price for a used one as I can pay one of our sponsors for a new one...

And by the same measure, I wouldn't expect a seller to sell me a good GE or Authentic for the price of a Standard...

And I'm glad to hear that you struck a good deal with a buyer on your Taylor...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic