The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Default Michael Dunn Weissenborns

Discuss...
Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

I shared a shop with Michael Dunn in the late '60s and consider him my greatest single influence as a builder. He builds as lightly as anyone, and his instruments are incredibly responsive with a tendency to produce deep bass and stellar treble voices. I know absolutely nothing about Weissenborn instruments besides being able to recognize them, but surely they are right up Dunn's alley! He is a great player, by the way, possibly the best guitarist in the entire Lutherie profession.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:10 PM

A video of Michael Dunn playing one of his Weissenborn style guitars.

I have no doubt that Michael Dunn is a very accomplished player, but IMO you would be unlikely ever to find another luthier who can equal the virtuosity of Steve Hicks, seen here playing one of his own guitars.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
A video of Michael Dunn playing one of his Weissenborn style guitars.

I have no doubt that Michael Dunn is a very accomplished player, but IMO you would be unlikely ever to find another luthier who can equal the virtuosity of Steve Hicks, seen here playing one of his own guitars.

A better clip:

Although the question was more towards his prowess as a builder.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
He builds as lightly as anyone, and his instruments are incredibly responsive with a tendency to produce deep bass and stellar treble voices.
That is an extremely accurate description of the instrument in question, Bruce.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
A better clip:

Although the question was more towards his prowess as a builder.
Indeed ...I was just commenting on Bruce's ..."possibly the best guitarist in the entire Lutherie profession"... which title belongs to Steve Hicks, IMO, AFAIK , YMMV etc etc ......

I am sure that if Bruce rates him that highly as a builder, he must indeed be very accomplished.

(Link sorted btw)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Indeed ...I was just commenting on Bruce's ..."possibly the best guitarist in the entire Lutherie profession"... which title belongs to Steve Hicks, IMO, AFAIK , YMMV etc etc ......

I am sure that if Bruce rates him that highly as a builder, he must indeed be very accomplished.

(Link sorted btw)
Hicks is a good fingerpicker, I agree. I particularly liked his arrangement of "stairway to Mozart." I just didn't what to have the thread get derailed onto who is the best player. Dunn plays a very different style anyway. I guess he is very highly thought of as a gypsy-jazz player. And I like his steel playing.

(Hmmm.. idea for a new thread: luthier who is the most accomplished player. Must provide supporting evidence; your opinion isn't enough... Now if I could just get my YouTube links to work)

TW
Old 11-15-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:

(Hmmm.. idea for a new thread: luthier who is the most accomplished player. Must provide supporting evidence; your opinion isn't enough...
LOL ... I was thinking exactly the same thing ... btw all you put in between the YOUTUBE tags is the final 11 characters of the Youtube URL ... leave out all the www.https. v= stuff .... just the final 11 characters.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
LOL ... I was thinking exactly the same thing ... btw all you put in between the YOUTUBE tags is the final 11 characters of the Youtube URL ... leave out all the www.https. v= stuff .... just the final 11 characters.
There ya go. Now, if I can just find a clip of Kathy Wingert...
Old 11-15-2017, 03:12 PM

I like that, I hear it as dark and "stringy", and I suppose that all those extra strings are acting as sympathetic drones (right term?). I'm interested in lap steels and have a Gibson prototype kona, all-mahogany, and weighing about 2 1/2 lbs. A very nice guitar in its own way, but I have often thought that I would be better off with the darker sound of a good weissenborn, as in that vid.

Last edited by Tony Done; 11-15-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:13 PM

2010. Padauk back and sides (from Nigeria, per the Lacey import sheet). Soundboard is Douglas Fir. Ebony fingerboard, Philippine Mahogany head, Maple bridge, EI Rosewood/Maple rope binding, Koa headplate. 25" scale.

And it mine. All mine. Bwahahahaha......
Old 11-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
2010. Padauk back and sides (from Nigeria, per the Lacey import sheet). Soundboard is Douglas Fir. Ebony fingerboard, Philippine Mahogany head, Maple bridge, EI Rosewood/Maple rope binding, Koa headplate. 25" scale.

And it mine. All mine. Bwahahahaha......
Anyone...?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I have one that I bought in 2005. Koa and Douglas fir

Very lightly built, installed Waverly tuners which it needed. Paid too much for it, but it’s nice.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 11-18-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
I have one that I bought in 2005. Koa and Douglas fir

Very lightly built, installed Waverly tuners which it needed. Paid too much for it, but it’s nice.
Paid too much because it is not worth what you paid for it, or paid too much because you paid more than you wanted to pay in order to get it??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments