The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-14-2017, 02:32 PM

It's a Tele, and a cheap one at that.

There are a bunch of great quotes about Teles, they are built like tanks.

There is the video of Keith Richards wacking a guy who rushed the stage with his guitar and then immediately going back to playing and the guitar is fine.

The fact that they don't go out of tune at all when you yank on the neck to bend notes should tell you something.

Just do it and stop worrying.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Love my Classic Vibe fixed-bridge Tele but love my tremolo bars as well. I notice that I can get a bit of bent tones by pulling the neck towards me. I've seen this done by performers frequently. Question is: Assuming this is harmful to a guitar in the long run, will it significantly reduce the life of the neck or body, and will the neck eventually "soften up", getting so weak it can't withstand the string tension ?
Neck bending is part of being a telecaster player.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Baa !! too much work, bend the strings instead

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Love my Classic Vibe fixed-bridge Tele but love my tremolo bars as well. I notice that I can get a bit of bent tones by pulling the neck towards me. I've seen this done by performers frequently. Question is: Assuming this is harmful to a guitar in the long run, will it significantly reduce the life of the neck or body, and will the neck eventually "soften up", getting so weak it can't withstand the string tension ?
String tension? That's what the truss rod is for!

There's a video of the great acoustic fingerstylist Michael Watts, playing one of Ervin Somogyi's "Andamento" guitars (6 figure price tag, the first one ever in maple at the time I believe) and pushing on the neck to "bend" a harmonic! He didn't seem too worried, and I think a Telecaster may be a bit stronger...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars