The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-04-2017, 11:58 PM

Default No iPhone X thread yet?

Just arrived in the mail today and I have to say it’s an amazing phone coming from a two year old iPhone 6S. It’s physically not much bigger than a regular size 6/7/8, but with a larger screen that’s bigger than a plus model. That was the “shut up and take my money” aspect for this phone. I always stayed away from the plus models because they’re just behemoths, especially with a rugged case which I must have.

It’s odd to not have a home button, but after a few hours of messing with it, I’m getting used to the new interface. It will be a non issue in a day or two. The one thing I’ll miss from my 6S is the headphone jack that’s for sure. But other than that, this phone rocks.

I don’t even know why Apple bothered to release this phone two months after the 8 was released. They could’ve easily released it at around this time next year, or just scrap the 8 altogether. Yes, there’s a significant price difference, but in this day and age of mobile phone financing, most people can afford the extra 20 bucks or so a month. And iPhone 8 sales totally shows this mistake.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:05 AM

I'm interested to hear more opinions but I bet must of the replies you get are grumpy "I have a flip phone / Apple is a cult / something something millennial..."

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying yours. Other than the screen, what other new features are you enjoying? My wife currently has a 6s and may be interested in an upgrade.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I'm interested to hear more opinions but I bet must of the replies you get are grumpy "I have a flip phone / Apple is a cult / something something millennial..."

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying yours. Other than the screen, what other new features are you enjoying? My wife currently has a 6s and may be interested in an upgrade.
I'll be that guy. I am an Apple user as far as laptops go and recently retired from their biggest iPhone distributor. I like their products but all the high end smartphones elude me. I need voice, text, email, and occasionally web access. For anything more involved, I would use a laptop.

When I retired, I had to give back my company phone and actually buy one for the first time in a decade. Just took a $120 LG and , so far, it does what I need.

I acknowledge many people have made their mobile device an essential part of their lifestyle but that's not me.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post

I’m still exploring what this phone can do. The camera is the other significant feature over the 6S. The phone is much faster (after iOS 11, my 6S really showed its age). The face recognition is trippy but you’ll get used to it almost right away, it’s quite fast, and it doesn’t matter if I’m wearing shades and a hat, it still recognizes my face. I raise my phone and as I swipe up to open it, my face is already unlocking it so it’s seamless.

As far as if it’s worth upgrading to it, it really depends. If you have a 7, then perhaps it’s a bit too soon. If you have a 6S, then it’s really up to her. Is she really into taking pictures and video? Because the dual camera is much, much better than the 6S. An iPhone 8+ is also leaps and bounds better than the 6S, so that’s a good option as well and significantly cheaper than a X.

The most significant feature of the X is the fact that it’s physically just a bit bigger than a regular sized 6/7/8, but with a screen that’s bigger than the plus models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'll be that guy. I am an Apple user as far as laptops go and recently retired from their biggest iPhone distributor. I like their products but all the high end smartphones elude me. I need voice, text, email, and occasionally web access. For anything more involved, I would use a laptop.

When I retired, I had to give back my company phone and actually buy one for the first time in a decade. Just took a $120 LG and , so far, it does what I need.

I acknowledge many people have made their mobile device an essential part of their lifestyle but that's not me.

Red joker, looks like you found your guy!

Having the best and latest phone or electronic gadget, is kinda like getting that $5000 Martin, when a $400 Yamaha can do the job just as well. Only you know why you rather play that $5000 Martin, all those others talking about how that Yamaha plays as good and makes them money on gigs is nothing but white noise. [emoji4]

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-05-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-05-2017, 07:49 AM

I have an iPhone 8 for work and a a Samsung S7 for home, and to put it simply, I like the OS better of the iPhone, but have always felt Samsung has the better display hands down. (My deal breaker for personnal use).

That said, I heard this apple has a new and improved OLED (?) display, rivaling the Samsung..... When my current contract is up, i may have a look at the iPhone. I have no allegiances to either... i go with what i feel is fhe best.

And i never could live without a smartphone.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 11-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Wait...

My 6S is already old?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Being a non-Apple product user, I thought the iPhone X was just a codename for the iPhone 8 before the 8 was finally released. I didn't think 2 phones would be released so quickly.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
I have an iPhone 8 for work and a a Samsung S7 for home, and to put it simply, I like the OS better of the iPhone, but have always felt Samsung has the better display hands down. (My deal breaker for personnal use).

That said, I heard this apple has a new and improved OLED (?) display, rivaling the Samsung..... When my current contract is up, i may have a look at the iPhone. I have no allegiances to either... i go with what i feel is fhe best.

And i never could live without a smartphone.
The OLED screen is beautiful. Size by side with an 8 you can see a noticeable difference. And yes I used to be an android guy ever since the very first android phone was released back in ‘08, it was the Apple’s UI what made me cross over and never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Wait...

My 6S is already old?

To me it was. Back in the brick or flip phone days, I would hold on to my old phones forever, but in the smartphone days they start to feel sluggish and outdated in two years. They’re pocket computers and computers evolve very rapidly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusca View Post
Being a non-Apple product user, I thought the iPhone X was just a codename for the iPhone 8 before the 8 was finally released. I didn't think 2 phones would be released so quickly.

Yeah I was confused too because first, they skipped the “S” model, and then they announce the flagship phone was gonna be released shortly after.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Had an iPhone 5 for work so of course I had to turn it in when I retired. It was my first iPhone and I really loved it. Now that I'm buying my own phones, my new Moto G5+ is more than enough phone. Especially at less than $250.00.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:26 PM

No way I am paying a grand for a phone
Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
What's the most you've paid for...

Camera
Camcorder
Computer
Telephoto lens

???
Old 11-05-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I know that paying that kind of money for a phone may seem preposterous, but truth is that these things are pocket computers with a phone feature. The specs of this phone rival high end desktop computers from just a few years ago. If anything I’m more surprised at the fact that it took this long to reach the four digit mark.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:22 PM

Basic phone - makes phone calls - probably as well as an iphone does. £50
(also takes photos and lots of other things)

This takes photos much better than any iphone does. £299

This surfs Internet uses apps etc just like the iphone does. £339

This flies much better than any iphone does (and it shoots video as well) £350

Grand total £1038
iphone X in UK £1139

All above and still £100 cheaper than a phone they will try to convince you is out of date in 12 months time.

How much will an iPhone XI be?

All that said, any product is worth what it's worth to the user. If you want everything in one small package and this fits the bill then go for it. There are people out there (so I've been told) who think paying £3000 +++ for a guitar is ridiculous - but what do they know?

YouTube
Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just checked: there is no requirement to purchase one. Just like guitars. Some folks get Phone Acquistion Syndrome.

That X looks pretty interesting. My wife is trying to get me to update my iPhone 5S. ;-) I don't know, it still works fine.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post

Basic phone - makes phone calls - probably as well as an iphone does. £50

(also takes photos and lots of other things)

This takes photos much better than any iphone does. £299

This surfs Internet uses apps etc just like the iphone does. £339

This flies much better than any iphone does (and it shoots video as well) £350

Grand total £1038

iphone X in UK £1139

All above and still £100 cheaper than a phone they will try to convince you is out of date in 12 months time.

How much will an iPhone XI be?

All that said, any product is worth what it's worth to the user. If you want everything in one small package and this fits the bill then go for it. There are people out there (so I've been told) who think paying £3000 +++ for a guitar is ridiculous - but what do they know?

Lol like you said on your last paragraph; any product is worth what it’s worth for the user. My wife believes that certain handbags are definitely worth the four digit sticker price (plus the $500 matching wallet). I cringe because to me, a handbag is just something to put things inside. Just like if she sees a Squier Strat next to a Custom Shop Strat she’s seeing the exact same guitar and will never understand why one is worth $150 and the other $5000. [emoji23]

I personally see the value in my $1100 badly flying, mediocre camera with a phone feature that can fit in my pocket. [emoji13]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic