The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 AM

Default Jimmy Paige, The Edge, Jack White documentary

Playing very little electric these days, but after watching this 2009 documentary (It might Get Loud) on these players and their philosophies on guitar, music and performing, got the itch.

Of course I know Jimmy Paige via Zep and The Edge from U2, but have never gotten/understood Jack White's music, especially when he was in the White Stripes. Mr. White always talked about is blues roots but mostly I heard and saw more of a punk influence (not a fan of punk). For the first time, I heard the blues influences in his solo playing on this show.

Most endearing was Jimmy Paige when playing live in this documentary. He still gets this child like grin of glee on his face as he plays and similarly gets excited about other's playing. Seemed so un-pretentious when he could have acted superior. Really interested in learning from others in the room.

For me, The Edge seemed more about technology and it's influence on his sound, but I was impressed with his singing voice. One thing I appreciated about jack White was his "stripped down"/basic approach to technology. Basic electric guitar, amp, microphone and voice. Play and record on reel to reel. Done !

For me, the highlight was the second to last live jam of the three which was a short improvisational deal that just seemed to come together with each player taking lead at least two times. The acoustic jam at the end was good too (The Band: The Weight) were Jimmy (despite his insistence that he can't sing) sang a bar or two on the chorus. I also eventually settled into Jacks rather forceful, loud and high pitched solos on this tune for their unique interpretative phrasing.

Very interesting watch ! Check it out !

Peace

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 09-07-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:38 AM

Default No responses !

Am I the only one to see this show ? Please comment, query, opine, or otherwise share. It wasn't meant as a rhetorical review.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM

I saw the recent AxesTV interview with Jack White. Not a real fan of someone that tries to make their own version of a genre. It just makes me think of someone that can't play, and uses mistakes as Their Take on the music.
In fact I always felt Jazz was exactly that. JMHO.

Ed.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Am I the only one to see this show ?
It's been around for years, which may be why you're not getting a lot of thread action; I saw it when it came out and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-07-2017, 11:44 AM

Enjoyed it as well. There were many complaints at the time that Jack White didn't belong with the others, and from a legacy point-of-view that may be true, but I think the fact that his approach is probably 180 degrees opposite of the Edge made for an interesting documentary.

I personally fall somewhere in the middle, Edge's sound is too technology-based for me, Jack White is too raw and "sloppy"; however, both setups suit the music they make, and while neither U2 or JW are my favourites, they have both made music I do enjoy listening to.

Later
Rob
Old 09-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I, too, enjoyed the flick. One of the things that jumped out at me was the contrast between the elder pair and Jack White. His style seems to me to be the personification of the Rolling Stone Magazine dictum that Rock and Roll is nothing but hormones, sweat, rebellion, noise, and sex. Now, mind you, the other two had healthy doses of all, but their music didn't serve quite as much as a vehiculm ad reductio, if you will, as White's. And their music is, by and large, much easier on the ears.

While you were looking at Pagey's face towards the end when they were interacting, I was looking at The Edge's and White's. That look of, "Oh my gosh... It is HIM... and he's playing that right now in front of me," was priceless.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:47 PM

I also saw this quite a while back when it came out...

I enjoyed it a lot, especially Jimmy Page and Jack White...

I continue to be underwhelmed by The Edge...if you unplug him, he's just not doing a whole lot...I think he actually demonstrated that in this film...he can make the band move while Bono's up front, but I've never considered him anywhere near Page's league, or even Jack White's for that matter...
Old 09-07-2017, 02:50 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the thought provoking comments !
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 09-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Guest 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I also saw this quite a while back when it came out...

I enjoyed it a lot, especially Jimmy Page and Jack White...

I continue to be underwhelmed by The Edge...if you unplug him, he's just not doing a whole lot...I think he actually demonstrated that in this film...he can make the band move while Bono's up front, but I've never considered him anywhere near Page's league, or even Jack White's for that matter...
Gotta agree. I find U2 and The Edge to be humdrum & very middle of the road.
But the film is definitely a goodun!
I never cease to be blown away by Page's skill or White's stunning creativity.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Yeah, I think the low response is due to the amount of time it's been out. If you watch and listen to a lot of music it's hard to recall moments in any one film.

I remember liking it. Is this the one where Jimmy Page gets all misty and smiley listening to "Rumble" on a record player?

I thought the most unique thing about the film was that decision right off to use three different generations of player, and to choose three players who are not revered for having great technique.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I thought the scene where Jack White was playing with assumed was his son was pretty cool....
Old 09-10-2017, 04:02 PM

I really don't like that White chaps music. Too sloppy and unstructured for me. As a longtime U2 fan I love edges sounds and how brilliantly his choice of notes work with the band. He is not a guitar player in the same sense as Jimmy Page.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 PM

I watched it about a year ago.
It was interesting. For a short while in his career, Jimmy Page was quite the player. The "Edge" or whatever does abosolutely zero for me and U2 has their deal and they do it well, but I never really took to them. Jack White...mehhh!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-10-2017, 07:39 PM

I saw that a couple of years ago too.
What always makes me smile about Jimmy is his pursed lips "guitar face" ,
which is always fully deployed even when demo'ing an old Zep riff that he could play in his sleep.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Am I the only one to see this show ? Please comment, query, opine, or otherwise share. It wasn't meant as a rhetorical review.

John
Here was my mini-review

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases