The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Default Carbon strings can't take the heat

I have a carbon fiber nylon string guitar with carbon trebles. It's an Emerald X7 short scale parlor size crossover, very comfortable to play. I had a problem with the bass overwhelming the trebles and switched to the highest tension carbon strings I have found, D'Addario EJ46FF. Now I'm pleased with the balanced sound.

The treble E string recently exploded while on the stand in front of the heater. The guitar can take the heat but apparently not the strings. You most likely won't have this problem .
Old 11-12-2017, 06:51 AM

In front of a heater? <pictures space heater close enough to affect carbon>
Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
In front of a heater? <pictures space heater close enough to affect carbon>
Same - if the guitar is close enough for the strings to be affected by the heat, I guess it's not likely to get too cold to play... I'm curious, though, how is the bridge attached to a carbon fiber guitar? I suppose they could just shape it right into the top and reinforce the underside as needed, but if it's glued on in some way I'd probably store the guitar a bit farther from the heat source, maybe just out of superstition.

You're right, though, strings would be the least of our concerns if a traditional classical were stored so close to the heater!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
... I'm curious, though, how is the bridge attached to a carbon fiber guitar? I suppose they could just shape it right into the top and reinforce the underside as needed, but if it's glued on in some way I'd probably store the guitar a bit farther from the heat source, maybe just out of superstition.

You're right, though, strings would be the least of our concerns if a traditional classical were stored so close to the heater!
The bridge is carbon fibre on my X7 and appears to be quite integral with the top. Seems crazy to have in front of heater, but that's the nature of a carbon fiber guitar, you just don't worry about the environment. OK, now I worry about the strings overheating .
Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 AM

Personal opinion , I like to D'Addario bass strings but not as much the treble strings. Titanium D'Addario Strings have broken on me often regardless of heat. The best travel strings I have found in carbon is dogal.
But I don't think it's carbon strings as much as it is D'Addario carbon having a tendency to break.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical