The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Fannin Guitars

How many of you have heard of Fannin guitars? Do any of you have one?

My uncle, Larry Fannin, was the one who commissioned/imported these through his company, NuLook, in the late 70's and early 80's, and I'm doing some informal research on just how many are floating around out there, how they've held up, etc. Models include D-37, D-57, and possibly others.

Most of these were produced in Taiwan (some may have originated from Japan). Some of the earliest models, before "Fannin" was trademarked, would have a blank headstock and a sticker on the inside with "NuLook" printed on it. Most have "Fannin" printed on the headstock, with a very Fenderish-looking "F".

The Taiwan-sourced models came from the Chuan Yin Musical Instruments Co. (D37 model for sure, not sure about the other models). This same factory produced identical guitars for Boeing, and likely many other names. Specifically on the Fannins, there's a blue serial number on the brace just ahead of the soundhole, which would have been the factory S/N...There was a separate serial number along with the model number stamped on the neck plate inside the guitar.

I'm tracking down the old sales brochures / catalogs that are sitting tucked away in a box in his warehouse, so if I dig up any additional information, I'll be sure to share it.

Even better, if someone has one that they'd like to get rid of, I'd like to hear from you. I'm buying these back for my Uncle so he can pass them down to his kids and grandkids.

Thanks,

Jason (noob)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Default Fannin Guitar

I have heard of fannin guitar. I have two
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Some additional information...

Fannin guitars were distributed through Nulook Fashions, Inc., which was based out of Columbus, Ohio. Nulook Fashions was owned by Larry Fannin, hence the "Fannin" name on the guitars. Some of the earliest copies had a blank headstock, with a "Nulook" sticker on the inside, however most of the steel-stringed versions had a gold "Fannin" logo printed on the headstock. Many people think these guitars originated in Japan, but they were actually made in Taiwan. Multiple factories may have been used, but one factory commissioned for the guitars was the Chuan Yin Musical Instruments Co., Ltd.

Models included D-27, D-37, D-57, D-67, D-97 (all steel-string models), F-19 (Folk concert steel-string model), and C-100 and C-190 (Classical nylon-string models). They also sold two hardshell cases, CF-1 (classical/folk) and D-2 (Drednaught/Western). The most popular models were the D-37 and D-57. Some of the models shown in the brochure never made it to production.

Retail prices for the guitars ranged from $110 to $250. They were sold between 1978 and 1984.

Original brochure can be found here
Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Thanks for posting some Fannin history, as well as the original brochures. I was aware of the D-37 & D-57 models, as well as a classical, but not the others, good stuff.

I have a 1978 D-57 that I purchased new. A friend of mine worked at Nulook at that time doing setups on the instruments when they'd come in. It has been pretty much my main guitar since. The guitar has held up extremely well over the years, plays great and if anything the sound has gotten richer.

Other than a recent setup, including bridge work, I've done nothing to it outside of playing it and changing strings. If anyone has a chance to get their hands on a Fannin I would highly recommend doing so. They are well crafted and a great value at even the original price.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I just picked up a D37 from Craigslist for a ridiculous price. Needs a few weeks of Hydrating but no major problems. I had a D57 a few years ago also.

Looking at the catalog I'm surprised that they're all laminate. Doesn't appear that way on this one. Probably be a great beater when I'm done with it.

Gary
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 PM

I have a Fannin guitar (D-37) that was a christmas present back in the seventies. I never learned to play as a kid, but I remember chords and now with the help of the interet, I have actually learned to play a bit.

I had to purchase another guitar, because the action on the Fannin made it difficult for me to play. The Fannin has a much richer sound than the Dean that I purchased, but as I said, it is difficult because as strings get closer to the body they are very far from the fret board. This may be because the bridge has pulled away a bit from the body and there is a slight crack in the center surface of the guitar extending from the bridge to the end of the guitar. Other than that, the guitar is in good shape only one minor ding.

Thanks for the info on Fannin. I've been checking internet for a while trying to see what I could find out about this guitar. No one is aware of the name, but I believed it sounds and looks great, but yet very little is known about the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthinds View Post
How many of you have heard of Fannin guitars? Do any of you have one?

My uncle, Larry Fannin, was the one who commissioned/imported these through his company, NuLook, in the late 70's and early 80's, and I'm doing some informal research on just how many are floating around out there, how they've held up, etc. Models include D-37, D-57, and possibly others.

Most of these were produced in Taiwan (some may have originated from Japan). Some of the earliest models, before "Fannin" was trademarked, would have a blank headstock and a sticker on the inside with "NuLook" printed on it. Most have "Fannin" printed on the headstock, with a very Fenderish-looking "F".

The Taiwan-sourced models came from the Chuan Yin Musical Instruments Co. (D37 model for sure, not sure about the other models). This same factory produced identical guitars for Boeing, and likely many other names. Specifically on the Fannins, there's a blue serial number on the brace just ahead of the soundhole, which would have been the factory S/N...There was a separate serial number along with the model number stamped on the neck plate inside the guitar.

I'm tracking down the old sales brochures / catalogs that are sitting tucked away in a box in his warehouse, so if I dig up any additional information, I'll be sure to share it.

Even better, if someone has one that they'd like to get rid of, I'd like to hear from you. I'm buying these back for my Uncle so he can pass them down to his kids and grandkids.

Thanks,

Jason (noob)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Default Fannin Guitar

Hi,

I have a Fannin guitar that isn't listed in the catalog. It's a C200 Classical. I bought it off of my friend Geri X about 2 years ago. She used it on her first couple of albums (folk) and for live performances for years. I have a bunch of PRS's, Fenders, Gibsons, Babicz's, and a Silvertone. The Fannin has a little bit of history behind it, so I piced it up for about 150$. Apparently she was really confused and thought it was a high-priced Italian guitar with intricate inlay. She needed extra cash to move back north, so I made her an offer.

I have actually tried to do research on the model and wasn't able to dig up anything. I can provide photos if you want.

Doug
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Fannin

We have 7 Fannins. Two d57s, two 37s, two 47s(rarer) and an f19 with original case, we think. Which models did not make it to production? I'll know not to look for them. We have been searching for a d67 and any others we don't have....thanks. JNJ.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 PM

I had one back in a about 1982-1983. Used it at a Renaissance Festival. Playd the frets off of it and traded it at some point.

It WAS a very nice sounding guitar ... the best acoustic I had for a long time.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Default Fannin D37

My first guitar was a Fannin D37 that my brother left to me when he left home in 1984. It was a birthday present from mom and dad in 1979 and was purchased new at a local music store for $89.95. I still have the original receipt! I was 12 years old when I started plunking around on it. The strings were rusted and the action was high, but I remember reading an article that said, "practice,practice,practice, til your fingers bleed. Then practice some more". So I did.

I owe deep gratitude for the old Fannin for whipping me into shape. I got my first elictric guitar in 1987, and started a band and so the Fannin got put away and only came out around the campfire gatherings.

In 2004, I decided to give it a good cleaning and setup. I built a bone nut and compensated saddle, adjusted the neck relief, and did a fret level, crown, polish. Installed a fishman piezo pickup and I have been using this guitar exclusively for every acoustic gig that I do. It plays and sounds great! The tone has a very rich, almost boomy characteristic. I've always loved the V neck profile too. A neck reset is inevitable for it in the future, but not until I wear the frets out a little more.

I hold the Fannin very dear to my heart because my brother has sinced passed and it will be handed down to my son one day. I recently found the story of Larry Fannin on the Internet about a year ago and came across this thread just the other day. I wanted to share my story and say THANK YOU to the family that is keeping alive a legacy and a part of American history.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Default Fannin Guitar

I am looking to purchase a Fannin acoustic. Anyone out there know where one can be found?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM

Default D37

I did some trading a while back and got this D37 sounds good but I'm a Drummer and Bass player. What's a good asking price for it? Its in good condition some small scuffs but overall good.

Thanks
Sorry to highjack your thread.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Fannin Guitar

I purchased a Fannin guitar, but cannot tell what model it is. I think that the sides and back are mahogany (at least the finish looks like a mahogany piece of furniture my mother had). Any hint on how to determine the model and wood used and finish?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfann View Post
I am looking to purchase a Fannin acoustic. Anyone out there know where one can be found?
Here is one.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-13337162.html
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Default Fannin = Boeing

Jason,

You mentioned Chuan Yin Musical Instruments Co. and said they made identical guitars to the Fannins for Boeing. Here is a Boeing that seems to be made in Japan and seems to have a solid top:

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/m109700794

Sorry it's all in Japanese language but Chrome can translate it.

I guess that just confuses the issue more.

DanLcc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion