The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I don't think there is a debate here. Instead, there is a rational discussion from those who have chosen one way and those who have chosen another. I have enjoyed reading and participating.

Tony
My point exactly

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yeah, I'm actually arguing that they're complementary. You can wander around lost for a long time (quite possibly having the time of your life!) trying to figure out things, while a session or two watching an experienced engineer could cause a Eureka moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
No question, actually after about 6 years of self taught, I took an entire on line Masters Certificate program in Music Production in Pro Tools at Berklee Collage of Music, which made a world of difference in working knowledge and understanding.
Other than past differences in experience I don't see much of an argument here at all. I couldn't agree more with both quotes above. Even the sound engineers who, in the past left me frustrated taught me important lessons. And one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum is that it's a tremendous font of information.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum is that it's a tremendous font of information.
Very true. Just this thread alone has been a great help. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Other than past differences in experience I don't see much of an argument here at all. I couldn't agree more with both quotes above. Even the sound engineers who, in the past left me frustrated taught me important lessons. And one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum is that it's a tremendous font of information.
Yes, Sometimes even just learning what we don't want to do, or things that do not work for us personally, can be as valuable if not more than finding things that do work.

Of course my experience with the classes I took was for the most part focused on learning how to use the DAW itself, at a professional and proficient level (Pro Tools in this case) and also learning mixing concepts, including the basics of what the effects are doing, and why. As well as a pretty interesting critical listening course. Then for two of my electives chose to study a midi focused courses one in the DAW Reason, and also on specifically about Programing Drum Beats . All in all It was two years of really interesting study. And the only time In my life I got straight A... 4.0 grade average.

My studio experience's done prior to the Berklee courses, reflects both what you and Doug have stated. I have recorded at three different pro commercial studios and one project type studio. Two of the pro studio's were great experiences and helped a bunch with technique specifically for recording acoustic guitar and vocal.
The third not so much. Although a fairly big name studio what I actually learned there was that I did not care much for the Avalon pre amp and what ever mic (can't remember) combo, was used. And that all pro studios are not created equal.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-05-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:16 AM

Learning the "not" is equally valuable.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 PM

I bought a used Korg D1600 about 7 years ago and it replaced a Boss BR-8. In no way does the Korg inhibit my meager talents. I have been very happy with it since I got it. Last year, I bought a laptop, maxed out the RAM, downloaded Reaper and got an inexpensive MAudio 2 channel interface. I have been messing around with it for a while but I'm still much more comfortable with the Korg and do not feel limited by it in any way.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD