The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Default SpectraLayers Pro 3 by Sony

Has anyone on the forum used this software for sound editing? I just watched a video demonstrating the program's 3D imaging among other features. It looks very impressive on a screen but it's hard to tell how intuitive or efficacious the software really is.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:08 PM

I found it rather difficult and gave up trying after 15 minutes or so. This stuff needs to flow easily or I won't use it.

Jim McCarthy
Old 04-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

The capabilities are intriguing. I tried it a year or so ago when I first heard of it, and it was pretty much unusable. Seems more like a proof of concept, research project than a tool that's ready for prime time, at least for most users. Maybe someone doing forensic audio would be willing to take the time to learn it.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The capabilities are intriguing. I tried it a year or so ago when I first heard of it, and it was pretty much unusable. Seems more like a proof of concept, research project than a tool that's ready for prime time, at least for most users. Maybe someone doing forensic audio would be willing to take the time to learn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I found it rather difficult and gave up trying after 15 minutes or so. This stuff needs to flow easily or I won't use it.

Jim McCarthy
Perhaps it's better suited to non-musical sound editing. The video I watched/heard demonstrated how to reduce the volume of a passing ambulance siren so a news correspondent's voice was more audible. I couldn't see how that application would be of much use in a studio (controlled ) environment. That said, I just thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

iZoptope RX can do this sort of thing, too, and it's about like painting (or using the healing brish) in Photoshop. Pricey software, but it's easy to use and it works great.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
iZoptope RX can do this sort of thing, too, and it's about like painting (or using the healing brish) in Photoshop. Pricey software, but it's easy to use and it works great.
If memory serves, you once used iZoptope RX to eliminate the cat's meow. All the more reason to keep your little tiger under the monitor (lol). BTW-I use ISO Acoustics monitor stands and although mine are not set high enough to house a little tiger underneath I think they're terrific. I suppose I should ask, are there any rules about not mixing threads like the one about metaphors?
Regarding the SpectraLayers for audio editing it seems your preference for the iZoptope RX conforms to the more conventional wisdom among recording engineers of all stripes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD