The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-27-2014, 07:48 AM

Default Help with thumb picks

I've concluded that I need to bite the bullet and become comfortable with using a thumb pick. I know nothing about types or brands, but I'd like to try a few different ones, assuming there is a significant difference between the various ones available.
That said, I don't have a guitar store near me and would like to explore what's available online by purchasing a number of different picks to try.
I'm hoping some thumb pickers out there could point me to 3-5 types/brands that would be a good start for exploring.
If it matters, I play a lot of James Taylor/Ed Gerhard type stuff, or more accurately- I "attempt" to play those guys
Any help?
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Oh, and if size matters, I have probably average size hands for a 6 foot, 210lb male. Not huge but not small.
(boy, I just opened it up for some jokes here, lol)
Old 11-27-2014, 08:07 AM

I have finally settled on pro picks thumb pick. Went through all the usual suspects only to have them crack when they finally felt played in and comfortable.

Saw a thread on the forum about the pro picks having a metal band and plastic blade so I ordered a few to try. Have been using them ever since.

You can find them by searching guptill music.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 11-27-2014, 08:32 AM

Blue Chip make a great thumb pick. Before that, I used Fred Kelly thumb picks. Before that, Nationals. In every case I reshape the point to my liking.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 AM

I've taken a liking to the Fred Kelly Slick Picks in medium (orange) thickness. They give a powerful bass sound while, for me, still being easy to strum with when the song calls for it. I had tried thumbpicks a couple of times without success, but decided to give it one more shot in the past few months and it "took". Now feels pretty natural and allows more variety in the sound. I play with thumb pick and bare fingers, so I do find that I need to palm mute the bass strings to maintain balance. But really enjoying the picks.

I ordered several different kinds recently to try them. If you'd like, PM me with your address and I'll send you a variety pack of 4 or 5 types to try. I ordered the large sizes when available, so they should work for you.

Adam
Old 11-27-2014, 10:13 AM

I have to agree with Alpione.

I used to use the massive big thumb picks to initially use them then after a while i decided to sand it down to mkae it mor narrower, which in my opinion improved it.

Then I found the fred kelly picks, and thats what I've used since. Very light and would take a bit getting used to as the picking part that makes contact with the string feel alot lighter which could be a good thing for strummer but It's brilliant for fingerstyle/Travis picking.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:45 AM

I bought Blue Chip thumb picks and then had them custom make one by mounting one of their regular flat picks to a thumb ring. That made a nice transition to thumb picks. I agree with the Fred Kelly picks and also look for the "bumble bee" picks.
It is fun to explore these options. Good luck with your thumb quest.
Davidc
Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 AM

I've used them all and am currently using a Planet Waves tortoise.

The Fred Kelly Slick Pick is a good thumbpick to start with. Use a large yellow (light) to start and evolve to heavier from there. They're made of the softer Delrin nylon, meaning, the pinch band will be more tolerable for you starting out. It will condition your thumb. From there you will probably move to the stiffer polycarbonate picks as a natural progression when you need more power from the bass strings and shift to using it in "flatpick mode".

One thing I don't recommend is trimming them. I say that because the blade can be evolved in use as a flatpick with a nuanced change in attack. If trimmed too short it will be difficult to pinch the blade with the index finger as one naturally does with a flatpick. It matters. You will learn to use the length of the blade without a problem and when you do you can use any thumbpick right off the shelf without need of trimming.

It's a good thing to learn to use. It's better than the natural thumbnail because it doubles as a flatpick when needed, Delrin wears out quickly but a polycarbonate lasts forever. ( I play 2 hours a day - hell on Delrin) I think all guitarists should be mandated by law to learn to use one. It has better benefits, IMO, than mandated health care.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:20 PM

I like the plain old Dunlop tortoise ones, slightly trimmed.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Fred Kelly white slick and speed picks.... And BC of course
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 11-27-2014, 04:34 PM

+1 for the Fred Kelly Speed Picks.
I've tried loads over the last 28 years, you just have to try a bunch and find what works for you.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM

I prefer National in Tortoise shell for steel strings. And I like Fred Kelly Delrin for Nylon strings. The Nationals are sometimes hard to find, so I use Dunlop Tortoise shells as a backup.

In both cases, I sanded them down during the transition period, to minimize the awkward feel when adjusting to thumb picks. Now that I finally adapted, I find myself preferring them longer. Depending on the pick, I actually use some of them at their stock length, no sanding or trimming at all.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 11-27-2014, 05:51 PM

I've used the Ernie Ball red picks for what seems like the last 40 years or so, maybe longer.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 11-28-2014, 07:25 AM

I've been wanting to try he Fred Kelly Slick Pick and have to mail order here in the the UK. So I can't get a feel of them first. Can someone give me an approximation of the thickness and flex of the three sizes, thin,medium and thick.
I hybrid pick, finger pick and flat pick and would like to seamlessly move between techniques. This is for electric with 11-50 strings on average with and without wound third.
Recommendations? Thanks.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:32 AM

FYI - Strings and Beyond has a pretty large selection of thumbpicks. Most of the ones mentioned in this thread. What I have been doing is adding on a few picks to try to each order of strings that I buy. Their strings are reasonably priced and excellent service. Right now, they are running a 15% off AND FREE shipping. That alone is like a free set of strings. They have become my Go to source for strings. It's only a couple of extra bucks to try a new pick style on each order.

Guitar Strings and Beyond - Buy Guitar Strings Online and Save!
http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/#

FWIW - Only affiliated as a satisfied customer.

Play What Ya Got!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write