The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Humanist

Default Induction cooktops...direct experiences...?

Remodel coming...anyone with *direct* experience using induction cooktops (or plug-in induction countertop equipment)...?

Comments pro & con...?

Really, I would very-much appreciate *no* chiming-in from the theorists...I absolutely only want real-world experience commentary.

Please.

Thank you.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 AM

Non-induction stoves still exist? Honestly I don't recall seeing a non-induction stove in a long time. Almost every home I visit has induction including me.

I like them a lot better than non-induction. They work equivalently, the look way better in my opinion, and they are far easier to clean. Although it's better to do a quick cleaning after every use because if the gunk builds up it can stain the surface which is hard to get rid of...
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 AM

Induction is definitely a step up from electric, but I would take gas any day of the week, easier to control heat with gas than induction, easier to cook with multiple things going on the top of the stove, at least for me, easier to see what burner is on high, medium, or simmer, etc.

H
Old 08-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Not all cookware will work. That was a deal breaker for me. I prefer gas, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Two things kept me away, I can't use my wok, only flat bottom pans work, and my copper bottom pans won't work with induction.

I really like gas anyway. Where's the benefit?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:16 PM

My wife is the main cook of our family. She has used induction (probably 20 times over the years) when cooking at her sister's, and doesn't like it much. She definitely prefers gas.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Remodel coming...anyone with *direct* experience using induction cooktops (or plug-in induction countertop equipment)...?

Comments pro & con...?

Really, I would very-much appreciate *no* chiming-in from the theorists...I absolutely only want real-world experience commentary.

Please.

Thank you.
You need special cookware for induction cooking.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Last edited by Wardo; 09-12-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM

Love it. Induction element temperature response is much better than solid top radiant, and better than exposed coil type radiant.

The top doesn't get too hot, and spills don't tend to bake on - so induction tops are easier to clean than radiant tops. You can actually put a sheet of paper towel between the pan and the oventop to contain spills while cooking. I sometimes do this when boiling potatoes or frying bacon.

My 20 year old pots work fine. I had to buy new frying pans.

The induction elements make a humming noise that is a bit annoying but not too bad.

I've only used induction for <1 year so haven't had to do any repairs. A replacement exposed element coil costs about $35. A replacement induction element doo-hickey costs about $200.

The ONLY downside to induction elements compared to radiant/exposed elements (besides cost) is that you have to match the pan size to the element size. i.e. you can't use a small pot on a large burner. Some brands/models are better at detecting and accepting a wider range of pans sizes. One Samsung I looked at was terrible; you needed an absolutely massive frying pan to use the largest burner, essentially making one-third of the cooking surface unusable. The Frigidaire induction range I have is fine. The Wolf induction cooktop that my Mom has is also fine.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Non-induction stoves still exist? Honestly I don't recall seeing a non-induction stove in a long time. Almost every home I visit has induction including me.

I like them a lot better than non-induction. They work equivalently, the look way better in my opinion, and they are far easier to clean. Although it's better to do a quick cleaning after every use because if the gunk builds up it can stain the surface which is hard to get rid of...
Actually, I prefer gas so I have precise and immediate control of the flame. That’s what I grew up using, and the 7 years I spent stuck with a coil-top electric drove me nuts. All three apts. I rented in Chicago had gas ranges (some ancient), and when we finally bought our house it came with a gas range. (Replaced it and 15 years later, replaced it again with a pro-style 5-burner gas range). But ever since 2001, I have also had a plug-in induction burner. My then boss got one at the Home Builders show and put it in the break room, where it saw more action than the microwave. I went out and got one from a health food store for $300, cheap at the time. It failed w/in a couple of years when the plastic over the buttons cracked and disintegrated. Replaced it with a Fagor I got for $80 on closeout at a Tuesday Morning store up in Madison, and it’s like the Energizer Bunny. If I’m cooking for a crowd, I usually have all 5 gas burners in play (a flattop on the center burner) plus, during summer, the outdoor grill as well. I like the fact that only the pot & food get very hot (but the pot can transfer some of its heat back to the cooktop for a minute or so, still much shorter than it takes a coil to cool down).

If I ever were to buy an electric range or cooktop it would definitely be induction. All my pots & pans are induction-ready (stainless, cast iron or enameled steel). I did drive dept. store salesclerks nuts by walking up & down the aisles and touching a fridge magnet to the cookware. If the magnet didn’t stick, the pan wouldn’t work on an induction burner.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:45 AM

I cook a lot - I have >150 cookbooks etc. and do the majority of the cooking in our house.

Several years ago I replaced an old halogen hob that had blown with induction, in a holiday home that I had. I was blown away. Fantastically responsive and very quick to react to input changes. Much easier to control at very, very low settings than gas (think that "blip blip" you need for making red stocks).

As a result i immediately swapped out my 4 gas ring at my main home to a domino 2 gas, 2 induction: that's how good I think induction is.

Yes you still need gas if you are a serious cook - woks generally aren't ferrous nor are they flat-bottomed - but induction is fabulous.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 AM

We had the same choice to make several years ago and chose gas over induction. As has been mentioned, you can use any cookware. Gas lines in the present day are easy to run (they are flexible) and the traditional pilot is gone. Plus, gas works during a power outage!

Don't forget the oven too. Our range has a gas convection oven which works VERY well and very fast.

My wife is a foods teacher and adores her gas range - 'nuff said. Oh yeah, i can cook a decent omelette now.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Humanist

Thanks for the responses so far, especially those relating directly to use/experience.

Gas line or electric line = no problem. Cookware = no problem.

My question is about "actual use" for the cooking experience.

I think I have a slightly better feel for this now, despite the varied opinions.

The easy-option is to simply go with gas. Thinking about induction requires sifting through opinions (partly), and then getting as much factual information about the actual hardware as possible.

I may purchase a plug-in induction counter-top appliance, just to see how *we* react.

Thanks again.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I may purchase a plug-in induction counter-top appliance, just to see how *we* react.
you can rent a single burner one from this site: http://partytime-rentals.com/about-party-time/

i think your trial idea is the way to go with a technology that has so many opinions pro and con.

keep us posted! I may never leave my propane gas cooktop - it really pleases me, but, i'm always open to better ideas.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM

We have a single "burner" plug-in Duxtop induction cooktop and have used it for the last year of so.

It's great for boiling anything with water in a hurry and also for cooking outside when it's too hot in the house to put anything on our Bosch gas cook top for any length of time.

Pretty foolproof once you realize that you have to use specific pots (that said, most all of my wife's enamel coated pots & pans seem to work just fine on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic