The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Default Digital pianos?

I know this is a guitar forum but we have lots of people with multiple instruments, so I need some help.

My church is looking for a new digital piano/keyboard. I know nothing about keys. So a couple quick questions:
1. What are some good options in the under 2k range?
2. Anything to avoid?
3. Are there keyboard retailers that sell below MAP pricing like there are for guitars?
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:15 PM

I would always buy a Roland (I've had two and they've been fantastic), but I'm totally out of touch with prices.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:20 PM

I bought one for my son last year. A Casio... don't laugh, they have really come a long way.
A wonderful instrument with a natural response and feel and of course a host of voices and effects included.

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-...tal-Piano/14XY
Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 PM

+1 for Roland, and my other advice would be to get a model with weighted keys.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 08-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Kawai CN25... I got one of these for my son. The action is great and it isn't overloaded with never-used features.

2013 Taylor 414ce FLTD
2015 Esteve 7C/B

My SoundCloud stream
Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Roland is coming out with some new digital pianos. I think these might be outside your stated price range, however what is interesting is that they are using modelling, rather than straight sampling in the new models. This suggests that they are starting to utilize the technology they developed in their V-Piano and move it into lower priced digital pianos. You might want to seriously consider getting something used for now, since there are a lot of decent used digital pianos around for sale, and wait to buy a new one for a year or two until Roland continues to develop their modelling technology still farther across their product line.

Anyway, I agree with those who are recommending Roland. Yamaha is also quite good. They seem to move a bit slower in introducing new technology, and the potential advantage there might be stability, though Roland products really are also very solid.

Here is one other thought:

www.kawaivpc.com/en/

The Kawai VPC1 is a piano controller. According to folks over at the piano forums, it has a very nice piano feel and you connect it to your computer running piano software such as Pianotech (www.pianoteq.com/). The advantage is that you can then update the piano sounds as technology continues to advance.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-24-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I bought one for my son last year. A Casio... don't laugh, they have really come a long way.
A wonderful instrument with a natural response and feel and of course a host of voices and effects included.

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-...tal-Piano/14XY

Sweetwater sales reps are saying the same thing, Casio is the ticket right now over Yamaha and Roland
Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 PM

Casio Privia all the way. Can't beat it! Good luck with your search!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzbucket View Post
I would always buy a Roland (I've had two and they've been fantastic), but I'm totally out of touch with prices.
You are probably paying a premium for Roland, but I think that premium is worth it,

H
Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 PM

Just make sure you get touch sensitive keys...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
+1 for Roland, and my other advice would be to get a model with weighted keys.
Hope that helps,
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
Just make sure you get touch sensitive keys...
I'm pretty sure that weighted , touch sensitive keys are standard on any model over 500 dollars or thereabouts now.
They are not like the old first generation synths with on/off switches for keys. They feel and sound like a real piano, which is what they are.

I looked at a lot of panos and did a lot of (admittedly armchair, Google based) research when I was buying one for my son.
He is a piano playing adult BTW not a small boy.

I don't think that you need to spend anywhere near your 2 grand budget to get a really beautiful, professional instrument.

And YES the latest Casios are amazing. Here's a couple :

Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrejamie View Post
I know this is a guitar forum but we have lots of people with multiple instruments, so I need some help.

My church is looking for a new digital piano/keyboard. I know nothing about keys. So a couple quick questions:
1. What are some good options in the under 2k range?
2. Anything to avoid?
3. Are there keyboard retailers that sell below MAP pricing like there are for guitars?
Thanks!
If you admittedly know nothing about keys why are YOU doing the research for the church? Do you know the difference between a electronic piano, a workstation/synthesizer, an arranger keyboard? Fully weighted vs semi-weighted keys? There's a lot to know.

Ideally, if a piano is what you want, the PIANO/KEYS PLAYER would be making the selection. Not all weighted keyboards are equal. Some have great "action" while others not so much. Some have a few decent usable voices (strings and such) while others are very rich with orchestral sounds (very useful in a church!). Some are nearly infinitely expandable, others not so much or even at all.

Not a chance I'd use any Casio keyboard in a professional setting. Not that they're so bad (they aren't so good, either) but there are better options. Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Kurzweil.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I would ask the advice of a few really knowledgeable sales people. They know what's happening in the business right now and they also know about used equipment values.

I haven't paid attention to good keyboards for about 25 years, but I own a Roland/Rhodes MK80 that is about that old that is a very good, full-sized 88 keys, weighted. This keyboard cost me about $2K back in about 1990. I still use it for recording. Here is an Ebay listing on one: MK80. Weighted 88-key keyboards have been improved over the years with better action and even more realistic sounds, but even mine from 25 years ago sounds good. You might find a good, used Roland 88-key weighted keyboard on Craigslist for about $500.

I tend to agree that Roland keyboards are built like tanks and are reliable for the long run.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 08-25-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Question is common and straightforward: a good digital piano for a church. For that purpose, another vote for the Casio Privia PX series. Many pros are now playing them. Most/all have 88 keys, the basic sounds (a few APs, EPs, clavs, strings, basic organ) and scaled hammer action, along with transpose function.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:22 PM

About 5 years ago, I wanted a digital piano for my daughter. Our house no longer fit even an upright, and we were getting ready to move—I hate moving pianos. I played over 100 pianos at NAMM, and in every store I could find. The absolute best at the time was a Kurzweil. Action, tone, all very piano-like.

In under a year, it began dying. First, all the auxiliary functions (except the piano itself) died. Then, the DAC died. It still functions as a MIDI trigger, which means she can play through GarageBand, but that's no fun.

The manufacturer threw their hands up and said they couldn't offer help, parts, or repair. Protip: Avoid Kurzweil like the plague.

I've been shopping for a replacement, and the Casio Privia leads the pack, so I'd second the recommendations above.

John
• AGF-only discounts
• Free Shipping + Free Returns
• Shoreline Rewards
• Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic