The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 AM

Default Do u have one guitar that seems to play itself while others are a struggle

I recently got a couple new Taylor acoustics. Both are fairly easy to play but one, this 314ce I mean I literally sound like a different player.

I thought it might be my imagination until some of the friends I play with remarked that i sounded better on acoustic.

Now I know part of this is this buoyant 3d piano like tone I get from this guitar but even the strings seem less tight. Everything flows my chording sounds and is much cleaner. I never thought I'd feel,this way bout an acoustic

Anyone else have a guitar that just feels like an extension of yourself?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:35 AM

Yes, my 000-28 is pretty easy to play compared to other acoustics I've had.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 AM

I guess it's because I've had my Taylor for 6.5 years now, but that one feels "right" for me. My band partner has a gorgeous Gibson Songwriter Deluxe that was the right guitar for him when we were visiting many stores and trying just about every guitar that matched his needs and budget. When we were rehearsing the other day I got to play it for a while while he used a low end Ibanez. When I got home and picked up my Taylor the difference was clear - the guitar I had I had bought because it suited my needs (and budget). It feels so comfortable to play, the weight, balance and neck playability are perfect!

I have a Guild that I've had for 28 years that I love but isn't in the "play itself" category, though I think it is time for a good tech to give it a good going over and setup.

My wife's Furch OM and my dad's 1958 Martin O-16 are also guitars that seem to play themselves.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frusciante View Post
Anyone else have a guitar that just feels like an extension of yourself?
hi Fruscy, this is the aim of choosing the right instrument - to me, that it's an extension of yourself - it ceases to be an obstacle to you expressing yourself and allows you to develop / grow expressively, it ought to say to you - c'mon big boy, is that all you can do.
People choose instruments for all sorts of reasons though viz endorsements.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 AM

Nope. They're all a struggle.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM

I just bought a 314ce and it is easier to play than my Froggy. It's not ALOT easier to play, but it is easier.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Well, no matter how much I have spent on my guitars, none play without my helping out. But... some play easier than others, for sure... For my hands, the Taylor neck design seems to make the easiest guitar to play.

- Glenn
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM

"Do u have one guitar that seems to play itself while others are a struggle?"

My new Martin D-15M seems to do that. I have to admit, it just may be the best guitar I've ever owned.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM

Every beloved one of mine is a struggle, each in its own sweet way.

As I get better, I expect them all to get easier. On good days, I think I can already feel that process happening.

Maybe, eventually, one of them will become The One.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM

I bought my Adamas W597 5 minutes after I picked it up. I've had it 7 years and it still plays sweet. My Custom Legend plays better (until I get the Martin fixed) than any guitar I own. It just doesn't sound as good. My username tells you my favorite guitar. It's in getting a little tune-up.(It has a little soundboard issue that raises the strings too high) I hope it comes back playing like it did before. Then all the acoustic/electrics will go back in their cases and remain there until needed. The finish is just about gone off the top of my Martin and it sounds and plays better than any guitar I have ever played. Other than the "Peacock" Martin. Google it.

1979 Martin D-35, 1978 Yamaha G230 classical, Yamaha A3R VS, Yamaha AC3R VS, Yamaha LS16 ARE sunburst, Yamaha NCX1200R Classical, Wechter TO-8418, Wechter DN 8128, Takamine EG334C.][/COLOR]
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Do u have one guitar that seems to play itself while others are a struggle?

Yes, and I believe the answer is found in a professional set-up. Having that done has made a world of difference each time. Well worth the money spent... which is often a fraction of the total cost of the instrument.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Default Yup

Yes, my '67 000-18.
The moment I fretted the first chord, it was my friend.
Its the one I play effortlessly.
I make fewer mistakes, and the singing is better cuz I can focus on that without thinking about the guitar playin'.
Its almost magic.
It makes no sense to me, but its there.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Anyone else have a guitar that just feels like an extension of yourself?
Hi Frusciante...
I think you are discussing two issues.

One is playability, and the other is tone.

I do have one guitar that is my main guitar, but I've had all 4 setup so they play equally easily. I put them in a rotation so they all get played, but my main gigging guitar is my main guitar.

I sound more like me when I play it than any other guitar I play on.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Frusciante...
I think you are discussing two issues.

One is playability, and the other is tone.

I do have one guitar that is my main guitar, but I've had all 4 setup so they play equally easily. I put them in a rotation so they all get played, but my main gigging guitar is my main guitar.

I sound more like me when I play it than any other guitar I play on.

Yes and I think I mentioned tone is definitely part of that equation. the two playability and tone when combined create that incredible synergy imho that allows the instrument to feel like an extension of yourself and the creative process seems far more effortless than it might have otherwise
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...playability and tone when combined create that incredible synergy imho that allows the instrument to feel like an extension of yourself and the creative process seems far more effortless than it might have otherwise
Hi Frusciante...

Sure. I suppose it's why I have a 'go-to' approach to my playing. When I'm just going to sit and jam, or get creative, I go to my main guitar.

And when playing for fun, and exploring, I love to pull my other guitars out. Especially once I've settled into an arrangement on my main guitar, I'll try it out on the others to see if it plays or sounds better on them.

I wouldn't exactly call it effortless, because after I got an instrument that was amazing, I began exploring music which was more 'demanding'.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion