The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Bose Compact vs. Fishman Soloamp

I have a Bose L1 Classic and it's awesome but the base is so heavy! I just bought a Fishman Soloamp and I'm impressed so far. I haven't yet sang through it and that is key for me. On the Bose, vocal sounds fab.

The portability of the Soloamp is impressive. In one hand, you have the entire system. With the Bose, the bass module is separate, so, that takes an extra hand.

With Soloamp, I also like you have a mixer built-in on the FRONT of the system. Drives me nuts when amps have the mixer controls on the back.

I also own the Bose T1 Tonematch mixer. I am wondering if it will work well with the Soloamp. It's not NECESSARY to have a mixer, but the Tonematch mixer, people seem to rave about it. I haven't used it much. Another plus is that I could handle a sideman by using the mixer as it gives me more imputs.

I also wonder about rigging up the Soloamp (or the Bose) to also carry a mic stand, mic, and cables. Such that you could, literally, go in to set up with one trip. That might be a problem, it seems I need this and that. Including a stool! (Also searching for a lightweight portable stool.)

However, if the Soloamp is less impressive sonically for a singer-songwriter... hmmm. Looking forward to settling on a system and selling some of this other stuff!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 AM

This is what I use for a portable stool. Works great!
http://www.walkstool.com/
Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 AM

I don't think that the the weight of the Bose compact base is really an issue for you as you go on to describe other, extra items they need to be carried. So there's no way you're going to be doing one trip each way from the car. In which case, as that base is not really heavy (I've lifted one) you can carry it easily, with some more items in the other hand.

The Bose T1 will work with any other amp, you just need to get the power supply for it.

WRT controls being on the front or back of a powered speaker, this is my logic. If it's handling vocals, then as feedback can often be a problem it's best to have the unit in front of the mic ie effectively in front of you, in which case the controls are best at the back.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 AM

I'm not sure I understand exactly what the original post is asking...

The title mentions the Bose Compact, but in the post you only mention the Classic (which you already have). When you talk about the base being heavy and the separate bass unit, I assume you're talking about the Classic. However, I suspect you're trying to figure out how the Compact would compare to the Soloamp, but I'm not really sure.

The T1 should work fine with either the Compact or the Soloamp. If you're just using the system for guitar and vocals, the Soloamp should be fine. I would think the Compact would be better if you ever use it for anything else (like keyboards or full range music like CDs or an iPod).
Old 12-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Humanist

IMO the notion of going from the car into a gig in one trip is a bit of a fantasy...especially if you have CDs (with possible merchandise display), guitar-stand, mic-stand, etc.

Using the SA behind you to act as main and monitor (as per the recommended use for the Bose gear) may present some sonic/volume difficulties, especially if you're used to the L1 Classic.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Huge fan, here, of the SoloAmp, but of course the Bose and Fishman systems are both great choices for a solo musician, and there are many little differences in them that add up to a clear preference, for a lot of people, toward one or the other. Lots of threads here on the forum about them too. Dollar-for-dollar, feature-for-feature and decibel-for-decibel, the SA220 is easily my preference.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=LiveMusic;2878389]
Quote:
I have a Bose L1 Classic and it's awesome but the base is so heavy! I just bought a Fishman Soloamp and I'm impressed so far. I haven't yet sang through it and that is key for me. On the Bose, vocal sounds fab.
the solo amp will sound different than the bose. That said if your going to compare the two start by setting everything flat no eq, no verb, no tone match, play and sing into both, that will give you an aprox. idea of the difference.

Quote:
I also own the Bose T1 Tonematch mixer. I am wondering if it will work well with the Soloamp.
yes

Quote:
I also wonder about rigging up the Soloamp (or the Bose) to also carry a mic stand, mic, and cables. Such that you could, literally, go in to set up with one trip.
dont know about one trip, but what I do is use a mic stand bag in which you can put stand, cables, mic ect. and strap it to the solo amp bag.
Quote:
However, if the Soloamp is less impressive sonically for a singer-songwriter... hmmm. Looking forward to settling on a system and selling some of this other stuff!
you are the only one who can make this call

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification