The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Thoughts on buying a factory blem Breelove

I have been searching for and American made breedlove d25/sme. I have found a place called MacNichol Guitars that have some blemished ones that are in my price range. They said that they are fully covered by the factory warranty except for the blemishes. All the research i have done suggests that these are great guitars but i don't have 1700 to spend and i can deal with a small defect in finish as long as it don't get in the way of tone and playability. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also can anyone tell me if the Pro or American series sounds better. I know its subjective but any insight would be great.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcenter2005 View Post
I have been searching for and American made breedlove d25/sme. I have found a place called MacNichol Guitars that have some blemished ones that are in my price range. They said that they are fully covered by the factory warranty except for the blemishes. All the research i have done suggests that these are great guitars but i don't have 1700 to spend and i can deal with a small defect in finish as long as it don't get in the way of tone and playability. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also can anyone tell me if the Pro or American series sounds better. I know its subjective but any insight would be great.

Cosmetic blemishes? I'd definitely go for it. They still have the warranty - its just a small cosmetic thing - not effecting the sound of the guitar then why not.

Its the same guitar, same feel, same sound - but cheaper. I always look at factory blemish guitars when I can.
Unknown Handmade (Solid Spruce/Koa)
Takamine EG501S
Breedlove AC250 SM-12
Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Well, do you take his word that they are warranted by the manufacturer? If so it's hard to see why not get one. I'm with you that the blemish per se does not bother me as long as it does not indicate serious problems or limit my recourse.

Just make sure the dealer doesn't mean that he will stand behind them but not the factory. Not that such a deal isn't acceptable but it's a very different kettle of fish than a genuine factory warranty.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM

if you bought a brand new one you would have a guitar player blemish on it within a week.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Breedlove seconds are not structural. I have owned one and could not find the defect. I would not hesitate to buy a Breedlove 2nd again.

FYI - Breedlove guitars with structural defects are destroyed or used for cut-a-way models for sales and information.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcenter2005 View Post
Usually, if Breedlove sells a B-Stock guitar, there isn't much wrong with it. The ones I've had my hands on involved a small sand out under the finish that was only noticeable under certain light. It took me two weeks to find it. The other involved two small dings caused by someone being in a hurry changing strings. The carry the full warrantee and sound great.

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 AM

As others have said, Breedlove doesn't dump structurally imperfect guitars on the market as "USED" or "seconds". I bought my Breedlove Roots OM/SRH from Michael (MacNichol's) and was 100% satisfied with my purchase. Other than a little pinhead size blem in the finish, the guitar was perfect. I couldn't even find the blem after I got it, even though he went through the trouble of making a video and audio recording of the guitar and provided pics. And yes, they are warranteed by Breedlove ... with the exception that they won't fix the blem under warranty (duh!).
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 AM

I second RustyAxe, I just bought the only existing, but soon to be available (April) Breedlove Cascade Series OM/CRe from Michael at McNichols. It is the one that was shown at NAMM a few weeks ago and the Breedlove reps were at the store the other night with many of the new models. I really wanted an American Series, but the whole line up is changing. The American Series will mostly be the original styles, and the new Korean made Cascade Series will have more revival styles. The specs (other than neck joints -- bolt on Am vs. dovetail Cascade), fit and finish are equal between the two, but the Cascades will be a few hundred less.

I have seen the blems and they are just fine, and I highly recommend McNichols.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM

I emailed MacNichol and am awaiting a reply on a few guitars I am interested in. They seem to have a good reputation. Will they record audio of the guitar if requested and send more info? I want to have as much knowledge of the guitar before I buy since I cant play it before I buy.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 AM

I would call Michael. He is a reputable dealer and I'm sure a conversation with him directly would be helpful.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm new to this forum and think the help on here is invaluable!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Great folks, well tied to Breedlove and Breedlove blems are often so good you couldn't find the blem. Full factory warranty, you can't go wrong. Price, Place and Product are all solid.

McNichol is a place I've sent people to and I have great trust and admiration for them.

Last edited by BBWW; 02-02-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 PM

I bought my Breedlove as a blem from MacNichol, and when I got it, I couldn't even find what the blemish was! I'd recommend it, it's an amazing deal for a "blemished" one.

Marsh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion