The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-22-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I used to totally believe in ghosts, until I realized that if they really existed we would be literally going nuts from all the hauntings given the number of people that have passed (uncountable?)
There are more people living on earth now than all the people who ever lived and died in previous generations. And we're still growing....
Stacking up spirits is easy. Stacking up living people....?

On a different subject, I heard gnawing/buzzing above me one night several years ago in another house, loud enough to definitely bug me. No one else could hear it. The next morning I saw yellow jackets flying in and out a tiny hole in the eaves. I went up on the 30 ft ladder and sprayed their striped butts to kingdom come, then sealed the hole.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I used to live in an old house in a Lake District village called Allonby. Our cat used to see things on the stairway to the top floor. One time I had a good friend and his Mother stay over on the top floor and in the morning she told me she had been visited by an old man in a seaman’s uniform. It transpired a sea captain had lived in the house when it was first built..
Go to a different kind of forum and find all kinds of firsthand experiences of inexplicable things. Who am I going to believe , people who have seen things , and what I think I believe in, or people who haven't seen anything , and think and that that proves that nothing is there ? Pretty simple equation for me, even as much as I respect science . Humans are always finding new levels of order . Why, just last century they came up with quantum theory , which definitely represents a new order (Quantum physics supplanting Classical physics for explaining some things).
Old 01-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
Who am I going to believe , people who have seen things , and what I think I believe in, or people who haven't seen anything , and think and that that proves that nothing is there ?
It's obvious what you will believe. I need a little more of a reality check and/or logic to buy into it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
It's obvious what you will believe. I need a little more of a reality check and/or logic to buy into it.
Sure, logic is nice, but there isn't always room for it where I live
There are more things in existence than logic can make the measure of.

ps ; you may think you know what I believe, but I suspect you have little
exposure to some of the things I consider. also, thanks for reminding me why
I need to go play somewhere else . it is, as they say, all good

Last edited by D. Shelton; 01-23-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 PM

Banjos. I shouldn't be hearing banjos. And harmonicas, sometimes, but banjos definitely never.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
There are more people living on earth now than all the people who ever lived and died in previous generations. And we're still growing....
On what basis are you coming up with this statement? The Population Reference Bureau gives an guesstimate (after all we do not know exactly population sizes and mortality rates) of 107 billion - far far far greater than the number of people living on earth now. Their estimate would have to be off by a gigantic factor. Not THAT likely.

So PRB estimates that the people living on the earth now is about 6.5% of the total people who have lived and died. You are saying it is 100%+. Not saying you are wrong, just asking where you are getting such a number.

BTW, the PRB estimates that we passed the 7 billion dead (todays population) BEFORE 1 AD.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

Last edited by fumei; 01-23-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
Go to a different kind of forum and find all kinds of firsthand experiences of inexplicable things. Who am I going to believe , people who have seen things , and what I think I believe in, or people who haven't seen anything , and think and that that proves that nothing is there ? Pretty simple equation for me, even as much as I respect science . Humans are always finding new levels of order . Why, just last century they came up with quantum theory , which definitely represents a new order (Quantum physics supplanting Classical physics for explaining some things).
Actually Qauntum mechanics is giving way or starting to mesh with
Conscious fundamentalism and or support the theorys more and more everyday.

Ground breaking work by Suskind and Hawking now further expanded by Jaun Maldecena and Nima Arkani Hamed are now colliding with work by Don Hoffman, David Chalmers,Tom Campbell and Dean Radin From IONS {institute for noetic sciences}

And in quite a Sherlock Holmes whatever is left, improbable as it is, is, is what it is...and what it is seems to be the following

1. Consciousnesses is fundamental, like space and time and electromagnetism.

2. Not only that, but instead of it being we are a byproduct of the universe living in space and time, dictated by the fundamental laws, that it is seeming that consciousness creates or is manifesting the world/universe that we "see" ,being so fundamental that it need be first before anything else exist. Or quite simply, if you do not exist, nothing else does either. This does not have to be confined to a human, just what would be refereed to as a conscious agent, that is anything that has awareness.

3. The ground breaking experiment and the unshakable proof defined in the double split experiment that collapses the wave form under observation, in essence proves that all matter is merely light that has been observed in an information probability matrix and manifests itself as matter simply because we are observing it, and that therefore something is observing us.

As Buddha said, "all of this is merely an illusion" very well may be in the long run correct.

Quantum entanglement is giving way to conscious quantum entanglement where the role of the observer play a much bigger role than classical and quantum mechanics give it.

for those that do not know, this short video explain the double slit, this experiment is the foundation of everything we are working on now and has had the most impact on stimulating new ways of thinking about our reality.

when some of the most intelligent people on the planet suggest we may be living in a massive holographic simulation, the science that points in that direction comes from this experiment and everything that has come from it.

Once you understand it and all the places it has lead us, you will start to understand that in time, we may be able to do anything.

this is just the very tip of the iceberg, qubits and AI will take it to the next level, assuming it does not exterminate us.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Actually Qauntum mechanics is giving way or starting to mesh with
Conscious fundamentalism and or support the theorys more and more everyday.
This reminds me of the difference between Einstein's theory and the engineering physics used everyday. One is our day to day reality and the other isn't a reality to live your life by.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 AM

So when something is hidden from me or my wife leaves for work, they actually are non existent.

Looks like I had things right when I was 2 years old.
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
This reminds me of the difference between Einstein's theory and the engineering physics used everyday. One is our day to day reality and the other isn't a reality to live your life by.
As long as you never rely on GPS. . . .
Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Not so much that it is not something "you" use, as it is there, just hidden and or not necessary to understand in order to live your day to day life....

Donald Hofmans work is truly ground breaking, takes a second to understand, but once you do, it starts to be easy to folllow.

Think of it as your computer desk top, there is an folder icon with an email, the email and the folder do not really exist as much as they are representations and or an interface that allows you to interact with it, but by no means is the folder represented as digital pixels actually where the email exists...the interface is there simply so you can interact with it and use it, IF you had to literally switch diodes, route bits, and all the electric things that one need do for every little operation, you would never get anything done.

The interface exists so you can use it, the interface has tons of "hidden" information going on behind the scenes, information that you do not need to know in order to use it, but that information and construct is very much there and very necessary for the system to work.

This is GROUND BREAKING INFORMATION

Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM

Last time I checked into such things... The physicists need somewhere between 10-14 dimensions existing to make the general theory of everything equations work out right....

But we only (reliably) experience 4 dimensions (counting time).. And for us - time only runs one way... We think of time as something made up.. But it's not... Time is an actual thing with actual measurable physical properties just like other physical things like gravity or mass...

So then... What's going on in all the rest of them that seem to be blocked from our experience? We don't really know.. We know from the math and some experiments that they are actually there.. But what's in them? What are they for? We don't know...

The other thing that messes people up is that yes - we are in what appears to be some sort of electrical holographic simulation... That's what the equations point towards... And so yes.. "Ghosts" could be some sort of "error" in this simulation... When you chop a big section out of the image that creates a hologram - you can still see the entire hologram, you just lose fine resolution quality... So perhaps some small shred of the "source information" is left behind and it interacts with this creation we are in and creates this lingering low resolution image/effect... Or maybe it's just imagination... Who knows...

The vast bulk of everything we experience is made mostly of empty space with a few widely spaced atoms in there... Physicists have known this for years... A dining room table only has the tiniest amount of actual "Matter" in it... Less that half a teaspoon full of actual matter based on the size of protons, neutrons, and electrons...
Old 01-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post

On a different subject, I heard gnawing/buzzing above me one night several years ago in another house, loud enough to definitely bug me. No one else could hear it. The next morning I saw yellow jackets flying in and out a tiny hole in the eaves. I went up on the 30 ft ladder and sprayed their striped butts to kingdom come, then sealed the hole.
I used to be friends with two brothers who were born in Israel. I remember them telling me that their parents would not believe that they heard scratching and rustling at night...until they moved the beds and found a Scorpion nest. eek.

I am frequently wakened by birds scratching around at the moss on top of our roof.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I am frequently wakened by birds scratching around at the moss on top of our roof.
Andy, when I read this I shuddered, it made my blood run cold and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.....
Because that very same thing has happened to me !!! Except it was geese , grazing on algae on the side of my boat, very spooky

Some people like to deny the existence of other dimensions , ghosts , any unexplicable phenomena ,
well explain that one away Mr. Scientist .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic