The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 PM

Default Neck Reset question

I have a ca 2000 Martin OM-15 where the neck angle’s changed over time. The relief is good and the neck bolt is tight (the heel’s tight to the body still), but a straightedge laid on the frets toughes the bridge close to 1/8” below the top of the bridge. The guitar is playable, albeit with higher action than I’d like....is it reasonable to reset now? Or wait until the geometry makes it a necessity?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:20 AM

Sounds like its time for a neck reset.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-22-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
I have a ca 2000 Martin OM-15 where the neck angle’s changed over time. The relief is good and the neck bolt is tight (the heel’s tight to the body still), but a straightedge laid on the frets toughes the bridge close to 1/8” below the top of the bridge. The guitar is playable, albeit with higher action than I’d like....is it reasonable to reset now? Or wait until the geometry makes it a necessity?
I have a 1997 Martin DM which arrived at almost exactly the sort of situation you describe. The action at fret 12 was 4mm, and the saddle had nothing left to give. So I had its neck reset. The action is now 2.5mm, with plenty left on the saddle for future adjustment, and everything looks most promising. But the tone of the guitar has completely changed. A guitar whose tone I loved for 18 years or so changed into a guitar whose tone I don't like very much at all: bright and brash.

So when they talk of neck resets being risky, they are right. In hindsight, I wish, wish, wish that I had simply tolerated the high action.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Sounds like its time for a neck reset.

Steve
This. I'd get it done now.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:53 AM

Yep! Reset time...
Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
I have a 1997 Martin DM which arrived at almost exactly the sort of situation you describe. The action at fret 12 was 4mm, and the saddle had nothing left to give. So I had its neck reset. The action is now 2.5mm, with plenty left on the saddle for future adjustment, and everything looks most promising. But the tone of the guitar has completely changed. A guitar whose tone I loved for 18 years or so changed into a guitar whose tone I don't like very much at all: bright and brash.

So when they talk of neck resets being risky, they are right. In hindsight, I wish, wish, wish that I had simply tolerated the high action.
Just resetting the neck should not cause such a change. It might be the saddle. It sounds like that was changed at the time of the reset? It's amazing how much tiny changes to the saddle can affect the sound of the strings. It's easy and cheap to experiment with that.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfingers View Post
Just resetting the neck should not cause such a change. It might be the saddle. It sounds like that was changed at the time of the reset? It's amazing how much tiny changes to the saddle can affect the sound of the strings. It's easy and cheap to experiment with that.
That's true - it is a new saddle. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll experiment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair