The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Camera Bags?

My dear wife gifted me a D-750 for Christmas. B&H had some great package deals at years end, and a somewhat decent bag was included. Of and old Tamrac and this new bag, neither are adequate to hold two bodies, four lenses, and one speed flash. I'm considering a backpack such as https://www.tamrac.com/collections/b.../anvil-slim-15

Thoughts?

Jerry
Old 01-17-2018, 01:18 PM

I have a Lowe, Tamrac bag, and got a Mountainsmith backpack that carries much better than the traditional camera bag makers' stuff I've had or still have.

I'll say you have to look at budget and tradeoffs. On the tradeoffs, the backpack I have that's better with motion and physical activities is not the more rectangle shape others are so it doesn't hold as much stuff.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

For me a hard case on wheels is essential. I have used the same one a long time. Bought a replacement. Wheel break almost immediately. I just got a fantastic rolling case big enough for 2 bodies with lens, 2 flashes, remotes, a zoom, batteries, accessories and a few other items. Heavy duty wheels case is well built, retracting handle. Presquared foam, $35.00!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:35 PM

Shoulder bag vs. backpack. Trade-offs here that you need to consider, but having both can be useful depending of the particular circumstance you are in when going out to photograph. I have had a couple of shoulder bags over the years (I still have my Tamrac 608 that I bought in the mid '80s) and have owned a couple of backpacks (original Lowepro PhotoTrekker, and the later PhotoTrekker AW). As I did, primarily, landscape and architecture photography the backpack was more useful but you have to have a place to set it down when out in the field, something that has been difficult at times. Shoulder bags can quickly become very burdensome with all the weight on one shoulder. These days, I only have one camera body and three zoom lenses, plus some accessories so I use a Lowepro Slingshot 300, which seems to work fine as a compromise between backpacks and shoulder bags.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 01-18-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 PM

I have a few bags of varying sizes that all get used for different scenarios. The two that get the most use are a Kata 3N1-30 and a ThinkTank Retrospective 10. The Kata is a cleverly designed bag that can be configured as a backpack, or by stowing one of the padded straps can be an either left or right sided swivel pack. As a swivel, once pulled around to the front of the body a camera is easily accessed, and then you can rest your elbows on the bag for a nice stable platform to hold the camera. I have mine configured to take a Canon 1D MkIII with a Canon 70-200L 2.8 mounted, I can easily get 3 or 4 other lenses in, or a couple of lenses with a flash and a TC. The top section will take a light waterproof, spare batteries, filters, phone etc etc. I also have a strap/clip on pouch to carry a tripod. The ThinkTank is a shoulder bag, I use this for going lighter around town, usually with the 1D or a 5D with a 24-105L attached, stored with camera back upwards, lens pointing down. Room at either side for a 17-40L and flash if needed. Also a large zipped internal pocket and an external one too, I put my phone, wallet etc in there. Lots of small pockets internally for batteries, filters, release cord etc etc. The very large velcroed main flap is handy for carrying a lightweight carbon fibre tripod. Both bags are supplied with waterproof covers which fit and work well.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:46 AM

Lowe Pro backpack for me. I take a ton of gear into the back country and it keeps my hands free.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Lowe Pro backpack for me.
+1 on all things LowePro. Great designs, great people. (In another life I was editor-in-chief of Digital Camera Magazine.)
Old 01-20-2018, 06:25 AM

I have a Manfrotto rear loading backpack for my D810. It’s a great bag.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-20-2018, 06:27 AM

One thing I like about mirrorless cameras, I can get the camera and 4 lenses in a bag smaller than a laptop case
Old 01-20-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
One thing I like about mirrorless cameras, I can get the camera and 4 lenses in a bag smaller than a laptop case
I used to use (and still have a couple of) mirrorless cameras with five lenses ranging from 58mm to 305mm. Mine would have had a very difficult time getting into such small spaces.

They were by companies with the names of Wista, Sinar, Horseman, Linhof, Ebony..............

I do have one small mirrorless camera that fits into a tiny bag/case, my Hasselblad SWC.

For a while I was looking at getting a ML camera and a few lenses but I don't even use my 6D that much theses days, only to document projects around the house.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 01-20-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I used to use (and still have a couple of) mirrorless cameras with five lenses ranging from 58mm to 305mm. Mine would have had a very difficult time getting into such small spaces.

They were by companies with the names of Wista, Sinar, Horseman, Linhof, Ebony..............

I do have one small mirrorless camera that fits into a tiny bag/case, my Hasselblad SWC.

For a while I was looking at getting a ML camera and a few lenses but I don't even use my 6D that much theses days, only to document projects around the house.
My Kardan 45S is packed in a Fiberbilt suitcase and is not something I enjoy carrying around. Another case for film holders, meters, etc. Pretty much fills up a full size car trunk. I couldn't even get the film holders in the case for the Canon and 4 lenses.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:19 PM

I had two of those Linhofs! A photographer who was retiring from the business about 10 years ago was liquidating and gave them to me. Monorails are not my style, although, I have used quite a few different ones (I still have ready access to an Arca Swiss 5x7, if desired). I used technical field cameras for the photography I did; there were certain limitations but I made the cameras yield to my needs pretty well. The best of them was my Ebony 45SU, the worst was my Linhof Master Technika 2000. For many years prior to getting that camera I had a late version Technika III, and then a Super Technika V, both were great cameras, but the MT2K had many defects from new that I returned the camera within a week and ordered the Ebony.

I was able to fit any of my field cameras and the five lenses (mounted on Linhof Technika boards), along with ten Toyo film holders and all the usual view camera accessories into the Photo Trekker AW. I did have the Lowepro Daypack for that bag and a couple of side pouches for the 8 or 9 B+W filters I used (I was doing black & white photography). The whole pack weighted in at around 28 lbs. but was very comfy to wear. In fact, it felt much heavier just picking the pack up compared to when it was on my back.

Now, mounting a tripod to the pack would change things. That was always awkward for me, but having the tripod in my hand made for a good walking stick when necessary, even the Ries J100/J250 I usually had with me.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

For most of my photographic career I used a Billingham sc550 bag. I sold it along with my Canon F1ns and all my lenses.

A new one would cost £600 now.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:47 PM

My favorite 35mm camera was my F1n (w/standard finder) with five lenses (24-200 spread, plus 17mm and 300mm available to me). I used my Tamrac 608 for that system.

I bet the Canon gear wouldn't net £600 these days, altogether, unfortunately.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM

I use an old Lowepro Magnum shoulder bag and a Lowepro backpack to store and/or transport most of my gear out to a location, but when I get down to shooting a specific scene or subject, I'll throw the things I need into a Domke bag for walking around purposes.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic