The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 AM

Default Pentatonic Patterns on acoustic guitar

The thread on acoustic solos that found there way into hit songs got me thinking about playing pentatonics on an acoustic. Here are some examples.

Pentatonic Patterns On Acoustic

Thanks!

Last edited by 815C; 12-13-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Way back, when I was subscribing to Guitar Player, I was just beginning to explore the idea of playing leads and fills and such.
They ran an article on Pentatonic scale patterns, showing about 5 that could be easily moved around the neck depending on key or chord....

That single article essentially took me from playing little more than bass runs and memorized "fiddle tune" instrumentals to being able to work out lead lines for most tunes.
Once you get the essential patterns down, you can easily work off them to expand into more advanced tones as needed.

One thing you DON'T want is to sound like you're playing... Scales.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM

I believe you will find there are 7 penatonic paterns on the guitar neck. After the 12th frett they will repeat themselves. The location of the patterns will change as the key changes, but the patterns themselves are a constant. If you look up scale patterns, you will find them. The penatonic patterns are the same, just leaving out the notes not played in the penatonic scale.
Learning these patterns is a greast help to ulocking the guitar neck.
Best wishes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write