The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 05:07 AM

Elixir ploys on my 314-MCE and nanos on my 810-LTD. Never felt that I needed to try anything else.
Guild A-150 Savoy, T-50 Slim
Reverend PA-1
Fender Std. Tele
2 Tele partcasters
Taylor 810-LTD, 314-MCE
Martin HD-35, D-18, 00-28, CEO-7, OM-28
Carr Rambler
Fender ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
Takamine 12-string
1966 Strat
1966 Ampeg Gemini I
1964 Kay archtop
Old 07-23-2011, 05:51 AM

D'Addario's EXP, have been my favorite so far. They last, they handle the up n down of alternate tunings, and just sound great to me. I buy mine as individuals, so I can get heavier E's and B. .056, .042, .032, .024, .017, .013

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 07-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
i think those are the strigns they put on the d-28 so i would imagine they are good souding strigns..
I notice a lot of you use 12's. Have you noticed that much difference with those copmpared to 13's?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 AM

I only use un-coated. I like the way the DR Rare PB's, and the Curt Mangan PB's warm up my tone. Currently using "Red" brand, to test the "more copper" hype but, so far, not impressed.
1905 Steinway 7ft. Grand, Model B (the wife's)
2008 Epi BB King Lucille/Vox AD50VT
I miss my: (purchased new)
1973 Takamine F360S (Martin lawsuit special) and
1977 Takamine F400S 12 string
Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Ok. Since I'm a guitarist that gives me the right to be finicky, right? I just changed the strings on my 210e. Taylors are bright guitars so I wanted to try a set of mellower strings Sooo... I have a new favorite string. Maybe. I have a set of Marquis silk and steel lights on it. Man they sound really sweet! They especially sound good with vocals. Great mellow, bassy, treblely sound. That pretty well covers it, huh? They really do sound very good.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM

--------------

Last edited by Alanbama; 07-23-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM

I have tried most all of them. The martin strings are good. I use DR subeams on my D-18. And had been using John Pears silk p b on the daughters taylor gc-5. I put on a set of martin marquis bronze stirings on her tayler this morning and I will stay with bronze on hers from now on. I thoght the PB's were for all guitars, NOt.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 PM

I don't know anything about DR's. Should I try them. Whats good about them? I always used Marquis on my Martins. Well Martin I owned a D28 12 string back in the early 80's. I kept it for years. But it was stolen from a gig. The Taylors play so well to me that I decided on one over a Martin. Of course Martins are incredible guitars, but the prices have gotten a bit high. The Taylors seem a little bright so the silk and still work really well. I've never tried S&B. Are they mellower?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 PM

THe DR are very well made. They dont have that ringing overtone yu get with new strings. You dont have to wait a day or two the get the sound. you get it the first day. Only thing I dont like is the larger coils are hard to slide your fingers for barre chords. I may try the new dr dragon skins and see if the finger slide better. If not I will probably go back to marquis.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 PM

Have you ever tried silk and bronze?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:39 PM

D'Addario EJ16s have always worked for me.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:43 PM

After a long time with Martin SP Lt/Med 80/20's, last week I tried John Pearse New Medium 80/20's and I think I will switch over based on my experience with them. Cost more but sound and feel better to me.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:57 PM

As to the original poster's thread, I don't believe this has EVER come up before on the forum, so good on you for bringing something up we like, nay, NEED to talk about! (such terrible sarcasm, and please forgive me, it's still a dang good topic)

Aside from gauge, type (flatwound, round), composition (nickel, PB, Bronze, etc..), and treatment (coated), I have never really had a favorite over these 35 years of picking. I gravitate toward D'Addario, but only because.... heck, I don't know!

I've used DR, Pearse, etc.. and like them all, given the same gauge, composition and coating. There really isn't a lot of difference. I haven't come across one string manufacturer that makes a bad string. PB D'Addario will sound like PB Martin Marquis, in the same gauge.

Find your gauge, and what goes best with your pickup (if it's a mag, use nickel), and how often you change strings (coated?), and there you have it. It's ALL the gauge first, then the other stuff next.

Strings are cheap, try 'em all!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Tried em all.... Love John Pearse PB mediums but cannot justify twice the price when I change em every week on two different guitars so I stick with the three pack of D'Addario EJ17s. I will spring for the JP PB's on "special" occasions.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM

I used Martin Marquis on my HD-28 all through the 80's and 90's. There really wasn't anything at the time that compared to them. I tried D'Addarios and few others but the Marquis were the best.

Picked up my first Taylor in the early 2000's and liked the Elixirs that came on it. Started using nanos on it and a few other Taylors I bought. When Elixer came out with the Phosphor Bronze nano, I found what I felt was the perfect string for all of the Taylors. I just like the way they sound, feel, and last. I tried a few sets on the Martin too -they were OK but it seemed that the uncoated strings made a bigger difference on that guitar.

In the last 4 or 5 years, the number of different string choices has just exploded. I've tried a few of the new ones - D'Addario PB coated on the Martin, various DRs, Martins, etc. I like the SPs on the HD-28 but not so much on the Taylors.

I recently picked up a GS Mini and decided I wanted to try a set of Reds on it - what a HUGE disappointment! The G string was so dead right out of the package it sounded like a muffled Nylon string. The others were so so but not great at all. I immediately took them off and put on a set of Elixer PB 13s - they sound and feel much better.

I took the Reds back and complained and they gave me a set of Cleartone PBs to try. I put them on the Martin and so far, I like them. The coating is very thin and they sound great. I will leave them on for a while and see how they hold up. I've also got a set of DR Dragonskins I want to try next chance I get.

Bottom line - I have yet to find anything that I really like more than the Elixir nano PBs on all of the Taylors I've owned. There are a few that I've tried that sound better initially but within a week or two they fade. There are also some that I've tried that sound worse. The Elixirs last for months and finger noise is much lower. I just don't have any reason to try anything else at this point. I've got a set of the Martin SP Lifetimes that I will try on the HD-28 but the SPs and Marquis' are my preference for that guitar.

Last edited by dbf909; 10-17-2011 at 06:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion