The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Default Ovangkol/mahogany 000

Quick question for all the builders out there. I have a customer who wants an |Ovangkol back and sides/ mahogany top guitar. I have a beautiful set of Ovangkol and a nice mahogany top but it's a combo I have no experience with. Any yeas or neys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:13 PM

I see no particular reason why it would be bad tonally, but it might look a little strange.

I've only done mahogany tops on mahogany back and sides. Mahogany as a top in my opinion is a very niche tone. Compressed, dark, midrangey, possibly even somewhat nasally are how I hear it. Not as much headroom as spruce either. Not that it makes for a bad guitar, just a lot less versatile than a spruce topped guitar.

So I'd be asking some gently probing questions as to what he/she is hoping to achieve with that wood combo...

But I wouldn't strictly vote against it.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the reply....I have built all mahogany guitars as well and am not a fan of the tone. I live in British Columbia, home of some of the nicest sitka tops anywhere but this customer is adamant that this is the combo he wants.He has ordered 2 guitars so I don't think I'll argue too much with him just let him be aware of what I think the range and limitations of his request will be.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:03 AM

Does he/she have any reason for that choice? Maybe he has had ovangkol/mahogany guitars before?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM

No, he hasn't had that combination before. I thought we had settled on an all mahogany guitar and he asked to see what wood I had in stock. The second guitar remained as we had discussed but he has decided to go with the ovangkol for the first.I can't see any reason personally why that combination isn't doable but to me it is a wierd choice and I just thought I'd put it out there to get different insight into it.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:44 PM

I think your approach is exactly right. Explain the limitations of mahogany as a top wood, and if he is ok with it, go for it. It's strange, but not 'bad'.'It will certainly be unique. It also opens up a lot of opportunities to create some cosmetic splendor by choosing cool complementary bindings and rosette.

If you're ever in Vancouver, come drop by the shop....
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 PM

Thank you for your thoughts,much appreciated. If I have the opportunity to get off The Rock soon I will take you up on the offer to drop in.I would love to see your shop, I've heard good things.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Please do!

(Forum mandated character fill)
Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 PM

I'm a big fan of unusual wood combinations. Planning to build a ziricote/koa OM myself. But I also think that hardwood tops limit the tonal possibilities of a guitar in some way. Anyhow, if your customer knows what tone he/she wants to get from the new guitar, and you think that these woods are suitable for it, there's no reason why you should not do it. Guessing that this is not going to be a fingerpicker's guitar...
From an optical point of view, I'm looking forward to see this build, it will be great!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 PM

Default Ovangkol

I've had ovangkol with a redwood top, which was really nice...in fact might repeat, but can't imagine that I would ever build an ovangkol with a mahogany top. Seems like a mismatch to me.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Strange combo. That may speak volumes that others haven't tried, not to dissuade you.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 PM

I certainly can't see it sounding worse than an all mahogany guitar, which lots of people enjoy. So as long as you're not expecting it to sound like an adi/Brazilian when you're done...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 PM

Default Expectations

I think the most important thing, is to 'manage expectations'. You don't really know what it will sound like...but you know what it won't sound like.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 PM

Thank you all for your input. I sat my customer down and explained the niche mid tones sound of the mahogany tops and he is maybe reconsidering his decision. However, his cocobolo build is going through as decided upon....Gives him a couple of months to decide.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 PM

Excellent. As long as there is clear communication from you, and the final decisions are up to him, you're doing your job well.

PS, you can take coco .005- .010 thinner than you would rosewood or ovangkol. It's really heavy and needs to be thin...just sayin'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop